Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

senasuper

join:2010-11-22
Boulder, CO

Packets are not being marked - QOS over MPLS

Hi,

I have implemented a QOS on a MPLS network (running LDP) ...i have 3 customers (A,B, C)...after configuring all the classes , policy.. ..i executed the command - sh policy-map interface ..though i created separated classes for A,B and C ...when i pinged from A to another end customer say A2 ...the counter increased and also the counter in class-map:class-default increased.

whereas when i pinged from B to another end customer say B2...the counter for class B dint increase but the counter for class A and class default increased.
...what might be the issue please let me know...

nosx

join:2004-12-27
kudos:5
What is supposed to be marking the traffic?
Please post a visio diagram of the network topology and configs.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
reply to senasuper
If you do a regular ping it goes out with a default TOS of 0 (class default). Now you can manipulate
the TOS of ICMP if you get into the extended ping commands -- I'd use this method to test your
policy-maps.

Regards

senasuper

Boulder, CO
reply to senasuper
Thx for the reply...now the individual customer packets are marked. i.e cutomer A1 to A2 when a ping is sent over a mpls n/w ...only their counter increments ...
similarly for customer B1 to B2 and C1 to C2.

I have one more issue....like assume within a MPLS network there are two routes to a destination ..eg.
CE1-> PE1-> P1 -> P2 -> P4 -> PE2 ->CE2 -- 1st path

CE1-> PE1-> P1 -> P2 -> P3-> P4 -> PE2 ->CE2 -- 2nd path

CE1 , CE2 are customer end routers , PE1 and PE2 are provider edge routers .. ... P1 , P2 , P3 , P4 are LSR's within MPLS n/w.
So as you observe ther is a extra hop for 2nd path...

Running LDP takes the path of IGP i.e OSPF..i.e only 1st path is present in route table of P2...

PE1 and PE2 are ingress and egress routers respectively...

So i wanted to know how can we dedicate 1st path only to customer A , and 2nd path only to Customer B and C....
I used access list at P2 but dint work since ip packet is embedded in a mpls label this cant be possible....

So can you please suggest any other solutions ??
Basically I want to know is ther a way to tell in an mpls network to dedicate a particular path to
Also is ther an option to upload my network diagram??

thx...

nosx

join:2004-12-27
Click for full size
downloadMPLS Traffic···.vsd.zip 196,158 bytes  
MPLS TE can do what you want. Picture and Visio attached. Please consider using software like visio, it really makes questions and answers so much more clear and easy to understand so people can spend their time addressing the issue rather than trying to understand the problem.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
reply to senasuper
Configs would be handy to see.

But for MPLS, I believe you should mark packets using EXP bits, and also match on them, as opposed to DSCP on the encapsulated packet.

senasuper

Boulder, CO
reply to senasuper
Thanks for the reply...I successfully implemented the classification and mapping...i.e. now i want to implement the next feature i.e. say in the above diagram packets from both customers are being congested at router PE-1...a slight modification in my diagram compared to above is that there is one more router before PE to which the 2 customers are attached....say X.

So its CE - A and CE - B connected to X which in turn connects to PE...i will soon uploading the changed topology.. I have used a serial link between CE And router X and also a serial link between X and PE....so that congestion might occur...i have implemented class policy such that for customer A i have set the DSCP bit to say EF(Express forwarding) ..for customer B as AF 21 ....later mapped it to corresponding exp bits...

For customer A i gave bw as 60% , customer B as 15%
n later observed the traffic at X i,e on the outgoing link .... the thing is the counter for matching customer a or customer b is not increasing...all are flowing thru default class....

So could you please help how to proceed...and let me know if u need any other info...

Should i need to implement a shaping or policing if so how ??

P.S : For testing i sent 2 files each of 66MB from two customers A and B ...

thx...