Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a standard for easy and secure establishment of a wireless home network, created by the Wi-Fi Alliance and officially launched on January 8, 2007.
The goal of the WPS protocol is to simplify the process of configuring security on wireless networks. The protocol is meant to allow home users who know little of wireless security and may be intimidated by the available security options to configure Wi-Fi Protected Access, which is supported by all Wi-Fi certified devices.
The standard achieves its goal by putting much emphasis into usability and security, and the concept is implemented through four usage models that enable a user to establish a home network.
Source - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Prot ··· ed_Setup
If you connect to a network and see this image (»ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/a ··· ig03.jpg
) then you can simply press the button on the back of the 1704 and the security will be negotiated between the computer and the device.
To turn the service off follow these steps:
1. Access the modem interface by typing 192.168.254.254 into your web browser (username and password is admin)
2. When you are logged in select Wireless from the menu to the left
3. In the sub menu of Wireless select Security
4. In the main window you will see WSC Setup just below that there is an Enable WSC with a drop down box to the right showing enabled. Toggle the setting to Disabled
5. Select Apply/Save at the bottom of the page, and the service will be off.
Note: everytime you reset the device this setting will be re-enabled by default
We're here to help! email@example.com