Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

1 recommendation

SandShark5 to jlsjoe

Premium Member

to jlsjoe

Re: gas furnace problem

According to what I can find online, that furnace came with a SureLight integrated control board, which has two LED lights, not one. It should say "SureLight" on the board. The LEDs should be located at the bottom right-hand side of the board just above the low voltage terminal block.

If this is the case, kill power to the furnace. Remove the blower access door. There may be a control box cover for the control board. Remove that cover. Set the thermostat to a call for heat. Supply power to the furnace. Engage the door interlock switch. Then, come back and report what you have observed.
jlsjoe
join:2010-11-24
New Ulm, MN

jlsjoe

My unit has a box mounted behind the upper access cover above the draft inducer fan. There is one LED near the top approx. center of the box. It is among the other conections on this box. The code listed for no LED says no power or fault exsists. The name plate on this box is Johnson coontrols, no mention of "Surelight". There is a Lennox board mounted behind the lower access door but there are no LEDs present.
I went through the procedure suggested by SandShark with the same results. After I set the thermostat to call for heat, supply power to furnace and engage the door interlock switch the main blower kicks in with no other results. LED does not light and draft fan does not engage.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

1 edit

SandShark5

Premium Member

Okay, I failed to realize you have a G26 -1 model. The SureLight boards are installed on -3 through -6 models. So, according to the unit information literature (page 16), if there is no LED light present on the Johnson Controls Ignition Control Module (assuming there is voltage to the unit) the module is, as you noted, defective and needs replacing.

Edit - Added attachments
jlsjoe
join:2010-11-24
New Ulm, MN

jlsjoe

I just finished replacing the old johnson controller with a new honeywell unit and my problem is still exactly as it was before. I'm thinking there is power or the main circulation fan would not operate. All is just as it was with the old board.
jlsjoe

jlsjoe

I pressed the limit switch mounted on the side of the combustion chamber, it did not appear to be out, now it is working! I will see how it acts when it cycles to a new heating cycle. I think I may have wasted some money and you peoples time. Very sorry, will report further findings.

Joe
zen1
join:2010-12-06

zen1

said by jlsjoe:

I pressed the limit switch mounted on the side of the combustion chamber, it did not appear to be out, now it is working! I will see how it acts when it cycles to a new heating cycle. I think I may have wasted some money and you peoples time. Very sorry, will report further findings.

Joe

that's odd, if there's no power to the board, the blower shouldn't be coming on!. and if there IS power to the board, there should be an LED coming on to indicate a fault!. that limit switch must be wired funky!. anyway, glad it's working, and you really didn't waste money, the money you spent could have gone to a tech for working on the furnace!. anyway, if that problem happens again, it may be that funky wired limit switch needs replacing.(assuming it's not truly overheating). you'd think that would be auto reset not manual reset!.