share rss forum feed

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

1 edit
reply to Harddrive

Re: [Connectivity] Major network outage?

I was using the Comcast DNSSEC servers (75.75.75.75) and was failing (Danbury, CT) but I switched to OpenDNS and all is well.

Bill W
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Windogg

join:2002-07-24
Cambridge, MA
reply to Harddrive

Major DNS issues in Cambridge, MA. On OpenDNS as well.

eviLution
has left the building.
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Fall River, MA
reply to Harddrive

How do I switch over to OpenDNS?

kw79

join:2005-08-26
Hudson, NH
reply to Harddrive

Same Issue here in Hudson NH. Called 1-800-comcast from my comcast phone and its just busy. Called from my cell and after a while I got a message that they were unable to transfer me.

ctgreybeard
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to eviLution

If your DNS isn't working use »208.69.38.170/ to get to their web site.

Basically, it's just using their DNS servers at

--

eviLution
has left the building.
Premium
join:2002-01-03
Fall River, MA
reply to Harddrive

I tried these DNS addresses and they didn't work for me.

Saw someone posted the ones below and tried it. Now I'm back online

--
Be who you are, say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA

Hmm, no issues here in Sterling using the Comcast DNSSEC addresses. Those 8.8.8.8 and the 4's are Google's public dns. Good to have as a backup.

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to GmDude66

75.75.75.75 & 75.75.76.76 are not working here.

Best temporary solution is to use non Comcast DNS like Open DNS
--
- Bill

Kalin123

@att.net
reply to eviLution

Comcast has been out for a couple hours. I'm in Arlington, VA. Tried calling them, but the circuits are busy!

dethadder768

@myvzw.com
reply to Harddrive

Im in Vernon ct and I dont have a connection and all I get from comcast is a busy signal or it just hangs up...Big outage!!!!

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to Harddrive

I've got a Ubee U10C035 modem and a Westell 7501 router. I can't find where to put the 3rd party DNS ip addys.
--
Liberty is allowing other people to do the things you disapprove of.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Go into your computer network TCP/IP -(IPv4) properties and plug in those numbers there

golfgod2005

join:2005-11-11
Norton, MA
reply to Harddrive

I live in MA. I've been down since 8pm EST. Internet has come back online twice but only for a couple of minutes and goes back out. This is quite annoying. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

Try the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS servers. That got me back online.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW

2 edits
reply to Harddrive

i'm back up.
short lived then back down again.

then i put in google's public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) in my laptop wi-fi adapter. would have rather put it in the modem or router, but can't access Comcast's modem and there is no individual DNS setting in the Westell 7501 router. so back up and running now with a change of DNS servers on the local machine.

ctgreybeard
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Harddrive

If you're on a Mac

System Preferences->Network->Select Active interface->Advanced->DNS and use the "+" to add the DNS servers.

On Windows (I think) Control Panel->Network Connections->Right Click your network connection->Properties->TCPIP-> and then I forget exactly ... but it's similar to the above ...
--

baltimore

@spcsdns.net
reply to Harddrive

Baltimore......same here. Telling us it is a nationwide outage. Just hope it is not a cyber attack

chuck1234

join:2002-02-17
North Billerica, MA
reply to Harddrive

Still out here in MA. I just switched over to alternate DNS servers (4.2.2.[123]) and can get here now. It came at an annoying time, when I had just replaced the router... so naturally I thought I had bought a bad router until I tried calling Comcast and got their busy signal.

I don't get it.... this has happened before to Comcast, and it has lasted days. Do they not understand the concept of multiple DNS servers for redundancy? If the primary goes down and the secondary can't handle the load, then they are DOING IT WRONG.

Comcastwill

join:2010-11-28
reply to Harddrive

Good evening folks, we are currently experiencing a DNS issue impacting multiple areas. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve, unfortunately we do not have an ETA at this time.

ctgreybeard
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to baltimore

Nationwide only for Comcast DNS, the network is fine as well as any other DNS systems. Probably just a software upgrade gone horribly wrong. I've been in the middle of a couple of those and I can tell you that all you want to do is dig a deep hole, climb in, and pull the dirt in over you!

Luckily it's easily bypassed for those that have the small skills to reset their DNS. For others, not so easy. But for us it means things are pretty zippy tonight!
--

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard

It may not even be 'nationwide', I haven't seen any DNS problems out west,................yet.

Knock on wood.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

sava700

join:2005-03-08
united state
reply to Harddrive

Western VA here, and having trouble doing much of anything if at all..changed to the 75.75.75.75 dns and all is well. I tried calling earlier when it died and the line got cut off.. nice!

majikxms

join:2001-08-29
Valrico, FL
reply to Harddrive

Richmond, VA here, back online when switching DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Thanks for the recommendation folks!!!

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
reply to Harddrive

I've been online all evening without issues. In some respects, I've noticed a pretty speedy Internet this evening.

Go figure.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

I should note that I run my own DNS server for my home network. Maybe that is why I have not seen any issues.

BurlingtonCT

@blackberry.net
reply to Harddrive

Out here too

Comcastsux

@comcast.net
reply to baltimore

Use Google's DNS
8.8.8.8 and

I'm back online!
Also tried calling Comcast - didn't get through to anyone - and just checked Comcast's website and funny how it said that there weren't any outages.

joecct

@verizon.net
reply to Harddrive

Thanks gang!

Son in Salem, MA area had college assignment due. The alternate DNS #'s worked like a charm!

metalliqaz

@comcast.net

Out in Hartford area...
Use Google's Free public DNS: 8.8.8.8

ctgreybeard
Premium
Bethel, CT
reply to Harddrive

I'm starting to see replies from both the DNSSEC servers. Perhaps they have it back up and running ...
--