share rss forum feed

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to camper

Re: [Connectivity] Major network outage?

because they use a 3rd party for that aspect of their business?

NSHPreds09

join:2009-04-01
Portland, TN
reply to Harddrive
Why don't people use OpenDNS all the time rather than their ISP's DNS Servers? Never had any problems with OpenDNS. With OpenDNS, I notice that ads on sites like ESPN resolve a whole lot faster than with Comcast's DNS servers. Not to mention OpenDNS has never had an outage. If your nearest OpenDNS Data Center goes offline, you are seamlessly transferred to the next-closest one.

arghuaa

@comcast.net
reply to Harddrive
Seems to be back up. However speeds are in the crapper.

Jack Sheetz

@comcast.net
reply to Harddrive
To put a perspective on the shoddy network maintenance and customer service (yes, I , too was told BY A RECORDING to call back later and was disconnected) and the traumatic effect a service interruption has--The kids and grandbabies were all assembled from across the county and ready to Skype with 88 year old Granny. No Skype tonight. Granny will never get the chance ever again. Granny was disappointed to say the least--and so were we. So, from my family to those highly compensated executives at Comcast who seem to be asleep at the wheel I want to say a sarcastic "Thanks, atta boy, give yourselves another raise." The lack of a well managed service put a sour ending on an otherwise happy Thanksgiving. I will continue to press my county supervisors to license other providers and allow a more competitive environment.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Jack Sheetz :

and allow a more competitive environment.

That's the key to this whole thing! If there was any real competition they would ALL get their act together!
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

because they use a 3rd party for that aspect of their business?

In a business, imho, it is less than optimum to outsource one of the most critical parts of your business.

I would find it difficult to believe that Comcast would outsource their DNS services. That is like begging the demon of uncertainty and downtime to swoop down upon them.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to NSHPreds09
said by NSHPreds09:

Why don't people use OpenDNS all the time rather than their ISP's DNS Servers? Never had any problems with OpenDNS. With OpenDNS, I notice that ads on sites like ESPN resolve a whole lot faster than with Comcast's DNS servers. Not to mention OpenDNS has never had an outage. If your nearest OpenDNS Data Center goes offline, you are seamlessly transferred to the next-closest one.

This is a complicated answer so I will do my best to answer the best I can. The company I work for supplies Microsoft Exchange e-mail to corporations across the United States. We use Akamai (as does many sites such as YouTube) for web application acceleration. Our primary servers are in Dallas, but Akamai has servers all across the United States which cache some of the information.

This way this supposed to work is something like this... a clients computer does a DNS lookup for our mail server and Akamai will respond with the nearest Akamai server based on the location of the DNS query. So, if you are using your ISP's DNS Servers, it will (or should) resolve to your location. The Akamai servers will serve up whatever information it has and the Akamai servers have a direct tunnel connection (bypassing a lot of unneeded internet routing) so that it may pull the information off the servers in Dallas if needed. This greatly increases the speed of our services to our clients and their mobile devices.

We had a client in Maine sign up with our services and they noticed the site being very slow as well as their Outlook connecting to the Exchange servers and large attachments downloading slowly. It seems that they were using OpenDNS as their DNS Server. For whatever reason, all of this clients DNS Query's went through the OpenDNS servers in Los Angeles. So, when their system sent out the DNS Query to OpenDNS, OpenDNS would forward that Query to Akamai saw that request come from the OpenDNS servers in Los Angeles, so it responded with the Akamai servers in Los Angeles.

So, the client's exchange connection was going from Maine to Los Angeles then to Dallas and then back again which caused them connection issues. We had them remove the OpenDNS settings and use their ISP's DNS instead and issue was resolved... they were routed to the nearest Akamai server, located in New York I believe... much closer than Los Angeles.

This is why we urge all of our new clients not to use OpenDNS and to only use an in house DNS server or their ISP's DNS Server instead. This is also why I don't use OpenDNS at my home... My personal e-mail (which is through the company I work for) as well as my work e-mail are both configured on my home computers. I do know of a way to bypass the Akamai routing for my company, but prefer not to as it does help with performance.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to NSHPreds09
said by NSHPreds09:

Why don't people use OpenDNS all the time rather than their ISP's DNS Servers? ... If your nearest OpenDNS Data Center goes offline, you are seamlessly transferred to the next-closest one.

I've never had any problem with the ATTIS 'Anycast' DNS servers. They also have a seamless fail over on hardware failure. I've tried OpenDNS, and others, but ATTIS remains the fastest. I pay for 'Custom' DNS service from DynDNS for my domain; and they now provide DNS service, if I choose them. Then their is Google, and, to date, Level 3 had not cut off outsiders from their DNS servers. But ATTIS still benchmarks as the fastest I can use.

If I had reason to use other DNS servers, I'd use the DynDNS DNS servers.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to NSHPreds09
said by NSHPreds09:

Why don't people use OpenDNS all the time rather than their ISP's DNS Servers?

Most people don't know a thing about this DNS thing. Most people just expect that their Internet service just works and don't care about the internals. It is like driving a car. You don't need to know about internal combustion engines and how the the transmission works and such to drive one. My girlfriend lives in Comcast area and was having trouble last night. She only knew that all lights in her modem were on as usual, and that power cycling the modem and rounter didnd't help. So I suspected a DNS problem (I have seen this problem myself - connected but not able to surf anywhere) and could have instructed her to switch to alternate DNS servers. However I also knew it would have been a bit hard to explain to her to to change that. Fortunately by that time the service began to work for her intermitently.

I am not in Comcast territory but came to this forum to see if anything was going on and found this thread which confirmed my suspicion.

hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Harddrive
Everyone’s talking DNS outage, but I saw it as a DHCP lease failure. Must be that old POS Netgear firewall I’m using – no DNS information in the DHCP lease answer causes a complete connectivity failure.

Everything appears to be back up and running (knocks on nearest wood) now.

IEEE Spectrum article, FWIW:

»spectrum.ieee.org/riskfactor/tel···t-outage
--
Sarcasm is the Body's Natural Defense Against Stupidity

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
reply to camper
said by camper:

I would find it difficult to believe that Comcast would outsource their DNS services. That is like begging the demon of uncertainty and downtime to swoop down upon them.

Comcast does not outsource DNS operation.
--
JL
Comcast

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
then maybe they should.

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA
Right, because Comcast has had so much luck with independent contractors and installers in the past. Comcast's network group have always struck me as fairly competent folks. They're using new technology and have been pretty good.

They had a accident/boo-boo. It happens. This one happened to be one that the technically literate could work around quickly by having a back-up DNS assigned to Google or some such. Its over now; hopefully things stay fixed and everyone's mood improves on a Monday after a long vacation :P.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
it's not like Comcast would go sign up with Rocko's Towing, Auto-Body & DNS Services in New Jersey. hopefully they would go sign up with a reputable DNS service.
--
Liberty is allowing other people to do the things you disapprove of.

ughh

@spcsdns.net
reply to yuppyyoda
Thank you for this info, I have been screaming all morning! I just followed your advice and boom - service is up and faster then it has been in weeks!!!

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE
said by ughh :

Thank you for this info, I have been screaming all morning! I just followed your advice and boom - service is up and faster then it has been in weeks!!!

DNS has nothing to do with the speed of your connection.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
said by LeftOfSanity:

said by ughh :

DNS has nothing to do with the speed of your connection.

It changes the perceived speed because if it speeds up name resolution then the zoo of different hosts a typical web page requires are all resolved much more quickly.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by justin:

changes the perceived speed because if it speeds up name resolution then the zoo of different hosts a typical web page requires are all resolved much more quickly.

Just to add to what justin said, you won't see any difference with file transfer rates or the speed results you see at speed testing sites.

Gakug

join:2010-06-22
Martinsburg, WV
reply to arghuaa
Speeds have been terrible all day, when it actually works. A call to Comcast and the rep tells me my problem is the modem serial number(not mac id) is missing from my customer file and that's the reason for no or slow internet today.
Nevermind the fact that I've been using my own modem for years now.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
Internet was good until 10am then nothing. 'US' light out on modem & 'DS' light going from red to steady green. before this whole fiasco last night, the 'DS' light was amber.
i'm at work so it's a non-issue for me right now except the nasty phone calls from the wife because her crops are going to wither on Farmville if Comcast doesn't fix the issue soon.
--

PunkGod

join:2003-02-02
reply to Harddrive
All my modem lights are on. My Activity light isn't doing anything. Having to post this from my iPhone

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
Yeah, they are still having major network problems that possibly aren't related to last night's DNS problem.
--

bostontechie

@comcast.net
The comcast primary dns server -68.84.71.230 is reporting 100% packet loss here just outside of Boston at 11pm

I am a comcast customer; but I am online? how? I went into my network card settings, under tcp/ip settings (or IPv4 in win7) and changed my dns server to use google's 8.8.8.8 and I am fine. Gonna leave it this way til I hear that Comcast has their server repaired.

ziggo01

join:2009-08-23
reply to Harddrive
Tonight in NW Indiana....major slow downs, unable to access most sites, parents and friends across town are having the same issues. I just want my video driver

Paul928

join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA
reply to Harddrive
I'll tell you, that in the past I was pretty happy with Comcast.....but the past year or so, they have been really getting on my nerves!! I've been having constant disconnects on my phone service.... sometimes my voice mail works, sometimes it doesn't.....the past six month or so, I've lost my phone service 4 or 5 times..... The internet has been up and down more than, I'd care to say.....If I wasn't locked into a contract with them, I would drop them like a bad habit!!!

vanillacman

join:2010-11-11
Dickinson, TX
reply to Harddrive
OpenDNS wrote a article on their blog about the Comcast outage. They welcome all Comcast users that switched due to the problems Sunday...

»blog.opendns.com/2010/11/29/a-qu···t-users/

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to Harddrive

(topic move) [Speed] Intermittent upstream slowness - SW PA

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 2 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. » [Speed] Intermittent upstream slowness - SW PA