spc
Search similar:

uniqs

wrsylvester
@frontiernet.net

wrsylvester

Anon

[Internet] Terrible Internet Service in the Illinois Valley

This is a customer commentary about Frontier and their terrible and slow internet service in our particular rural area.

I am writing this because we have had terrible service here for years, we pay exorbitant prices, have complained multiple times for 2 years, and still nothing has been done here.
I also have internet in a major city and there is no comparison to the speeds and service in the two areas.

It is my belief that because Frontier is the only "high speed" internet provider in this area, they have been able to provide amazingly sub-par services to us.
Basically Frontier has a monopoly here...and is this by chance the reason that I have consistent internet speeds of for instance this speed taken a few minutes ago at speedtest.net.
The download speed we are guaranteed is 1.3mbps.
What I have right now as of this writing is 0.42mbps.

This is the average of what we receive. While it does fluctuate, we have never had anywhere close to the speed they assure us that we will receive and which we pay for.

This translates into inability to watch streaming movies, access complex websites, and various other issues regarding a slow internet speed.
For this we have paid 113.00 per month for only internet and telephone for many years now.
We dont use the phone but they say we have to buy the phone service to get the internet.

I have spent dozens of hours on the phone with this company. I have written them several emails. They have promised to fix the issue half a dozen times. Still nothing. No change. Terrible speed. Terrible service.

And now I am following though with a promise to my family and myself to tell this story to the world through the wonderful power of the internet.

What I would like to hear is does anyone else in the Illinois Valley in Southern Oregon have issues with their internet speed.
If you do please let me know here on this forum so that I/we can let this company know that they need to do what they promise to do and they need to provide what they say they will provide and what we have paid and paid for.

I make my living on the internet so I need it, and here there is no other choice but Frontier.
Eventually this may end up as a law suit regarding misrepresentation of services, but I hope that we dont have to go that far and that they will just provide what they promise.

Basically they are lying to us as customers and ripping us off and I am sick of it.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Well, I hope you guys get improved service before the holidays. With all of the electronic devices being Internet-capable these days Frontier needs to be ready to handle a greater amount of bandwidth. Sounds like your case is the typical "Not enough bandwidth in the CO" case that we see here regularly. Two years ago my CO had similar issues after the Christmas holiday, however the moment the slow-downs started happening, practically everyone in the area complained. Frontier brought in a new Fiber line to the CO for additional capacity in a matter of a few weeks as there were a few thousand tickets about slow speeds in my area, so to speak. What you should do, if you haven't already is get everyone who is serviced by Frontier in your area and experiencing slow speeds to complain about the lack of bandwidth in the CO. Get enough tickets open and they're sure to wake up.
titchnel
join:2010-03-24
Philippi, WV

titchnel to wrsylvester

to wrsylvester
Click for full size
Same here in WV. Frontier's service is horrible. First of when Verizon offered DSL in my rural area, we were almost 5 miles from the RT and were sold the 3M/768K plan. No one even came and checked the lines. My brother's has worked 3 days out of the past 2 weeks. I emailed the regional vice president about maybe getting a pole mounted DSLAM installed closer to us. This would affect about 20 to 30 people. Her response was 'we are continually updating our equipment and service. I will forward your email to engineering for their consideration." Every time you call and schedule a service call, when they come out, 'oh, the line is running perfectly today.' My brother's messes up when it is wet outside. Mine is the opposite, when the temperature gets above 50 degress, I have frequent disconnects and when someone picks up the phone it disconnects. Only does it when it is warm though. I've attached a a screen cap of my so called 3M/768K connection. Temperature right now is 49 degrees and I have had disconnects all morning.

wrsylvester
@frontiernet.net

wrsylvester to Smith6612

Anon

to Smith6612
You have a good idea. It is what I want to do and this posting as well as postings in other forums is my start at this very thing.

One issue is that it seems in this very rural area there are a lot of retired folks and other people who dont seem to know any better or who just at least thus far complain much.
I hope by letting people know that they are paying for something they arent getting...and that there is much better service available...they might start to use their voices.

We are used to long power outages at the slightest winter storms as well as phone outages etc. Being a rural area it seems that Frontier just gets away with allowing lesser equip. to service us here.

We will see...and thanks for the interest and time.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to titchnel

MVM

to titchnel
What do the Transceiver statistics of that line look like? That's horrid :\
titchnel
Philippi, WV

titchnel to wrsylvester

to wrsylvester
Yes, it is horrid, Smith. It's raining here today and whenever the phone rings the internet disconnects. But yet the line is 'perfect' whenever they come out. I'll get the transceiver stats when I get a chance. I know that depending on which modem I have hooked up that the attenuation ranges anywhere from 70 to 80 (like I said, we are like 5 miles from RT.) S/N usually around 6.8 sometimes worse. Also on fastpath. Good thing is that there is a Frontier voice tech that lives in the area and his wife called last night wanting the information on what we are paying and our so-called speed offerings. I guess everyone in the area is paying for 3M and not getting anywhere close. He is supposed to get with his supervisor to see what can be done. When Verizon still had the area, I contacted the attorney general of WV and the FCC and both sent me complaint forms but I never did bother to fill them out. Maybe I should reconsider that. I've read that the Attorney General's office has been inundated with complaints since Frontier took over.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Ah, glad to hear someone is around in your area working to solve the problems. Anyways, if you are in fact 5 miles from the RT I'm even surprised Verizon even let you get service. Past 3 miles they never really sold people DSL, but there have been a few times where people have gotten DSL service over 18,000-30,000ft as a result of bridge-taps and excess copper loop that was not removed before DSL went live.

As to why the line is still on FastPath is beyond me, but it should be on Interleaved mode for the time being until the problem is sorted out. Won't stop the disconnects while the phone is on but should help to make the line a little more stable. Anyways, hope everything works out in the end for you guys in WV.

wrsylvester
@frontiernet.net

wrsylvester to titchnel

Anon

to titchnel
This is a link to show our results at speedtest.net.
This is verging on criminal as it would be very easy for Frontier to resolve these issues. it is simply a matter of them reserving bandwidth to sell elsewhere.

See our results.

or a direct link...
»www.speedtest.net/rank/1 ··· 5522.png

By the way if anyone wants to share similar data so that I can compile it in order to take further action please do so.
if you knwo anyone else who is experiencing issues please get them to add their own experiences and voice to this forum so we can gather as much evidence as possible.

Thanks
titchnel
Philippi, WV

titchnel to wrsylvester

to wrsylvester

Here's mine on a 32 degree, rainy,snowy day. It's better on dry, cold days.

the_glassman
@mycingular.net

the_glassman to wrsylvester

Anon

to wrsylvester

This is the speed I averaged with Frontiers 3.7Mb/s plan that I was paying $63 a month for. I've called and complained numerous times. One time the tech on the phone laughed at the speeds I was getting. I told them they need to upgrade their RT, but of course they tech came out and checked my connection and speeds on a Monday morning when nobody else is using the DSL were better than I usually get.

Time Warner service stops the next road and hill away from me, but I've tried to convince them to expand or come here after many years of rumors that they were looking to, but they'll only do it if I take my own personal time to get the next 50 people in line to pay $1200 a piece or I fork out $100,000. Neither of which is going to happen in this economic climate.

Never in a million years did I think AT&T would be my saving grace, but by some miracle I now get a decent 3G signal out here. I cancelled my Frontier DSL the day I found out and haven't looked back since.

Unfortunately, I've traded one Monopoly for another, but at least I'm getting what I pay for. When the wireless carries begin rolling out next generation wireless technologies they will be the only chance us folks in rural areas have of having decent internet connections. Frontier will never spend the money it needs to upgrade their infrastructure to be able to compete with what Verizon, Sprint/Clear or AT&T will be able to offer most of America in a few short years.

As far as taking legal action against Frontier, I wish you luck, but I'm all for it. The company has Monopoly anywhere it operates and charges outlandish fees and offers the worst service of any company I've ever dealt with.
josh123459
join:2008-01-20
Waynesville, OH

josh123459 to wrsylvester

to wrsylvester

Its the same here in Ohio. Ever since the switch over from Verizon its been going downhill.
titchnel
Philippi, WV

titchnel

Is your's a 3M plan, josh?
Expand your moderator at work
josh123459
join:2008-01-20
Waynesville, OH

1 edit

josh123459 to titchnel

to titchnel

Re: [Internet] Terrible Internet Service in the Illinois Valley

Yes its was the 1.5 to 3M with Verizon. Not sure what plan I'm on with Frontier.
IT seems to be pretty fast this evening:/