camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to Guest

Premium Member

to Guest

Re: [Connectivity] Major network outage?

said by Guest :

...If it was a DNS server that died - you'd think they would have a backup....

Yup, you would think that.

I learned a few ISPs back that it is useful to run one's own DNS server. I still do not understand why the DNS service is one of the more unreliable aspects of an ISP....

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

because they use a 3rd party for that aspect of their business?

arghuaa
@comcast.net

arghuaa

Anon

Seems to be back up. However speeds are in the crapper.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

because they use a 3rd party for that aspect of their business?

In a business, imho, it is less than optimum to outsource one of the most critical parts of your business.

I would find it difficult to believe that Comcast would outsource their DNS services. That is like begging the demon of uncertainty and downtime to swoop down upon them.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by camper:

I would find it difficult to believe that Comcast would outsource their DNS services. That is like begging the demon of uncertainty and downtime to swoop down upon them.

Comcast does not outsource DNS operation.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

then maybe they should.
jus10
join:2009-08-04
Gainesville, VA

jus10

Right, because Comcast has had so much luck with independent contractors and installers in the past. Comcast's network group have always struck me as fairly competent folks. They're using new technology and have been pretty good.

They had a accident/boo-boo. It happens. This one happened to be one that the technically literate could work around quickly by having a back-up DNS assigned to Google or some such. Its over now; hopefully things stay fixed and everyone's mood improves on a Monday after a long vacation :P.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

it's not like Comcast would go sign up with Rocko's Towing, Auto-Body & DNS Services in New Jersey. hopefully they would go sign up with a reputable DNS service.
Gakug
join:2010-06-22
Martinsburg, WV

Gakug to arghuaa

to arghuaa
Speeds have been terrible all day, when it actually works. A call to Comcast and the rep tells me my problem is the modem serial number(not mac id) is missing from my customer file and that's the reason for no or slow internet today.
Nevermind the fact that I've been using my own modem for years now.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Internet was good until 10am then nothing. 'US' light out on modem & 'DS' light going from red to steady green. before this whole fiasco last night, the 'DS' light was amber.
i'm at work so it's a non-issue for me right now except the nasty phone calls from the wife because her crops are going to wither on Farmville if Comcast doesn't fix the issue soon.