spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigsexy

@comcast.net

Anyone using a SBV6220 with Comcast?

I recently purchased the SBV6220 and have been given the run around by comcast phone support and local comcast office. The chat support seems confident that they can help get it online but when they try I lose my connection and have to call phone support who tells me to go to the local office and have it added to the inventory. The local office says they cant do that and I must call tech support. Tonight I finally got down to the crux of the problem. The supervisor at phone support told me that the modem may be stolen and cannot be added to the inventory. So on the mere speculation that the modem I purchased is stolen, it cannot be added. I may just go back to qwest.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

Well I messed this up trying to move the entire thread over to this forum.

Here is the main thread that I have locked:

»Anyone using a SBV6220 with Comcast?

Back to my corner I go.
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

2 edits
reply to bigsexy

I don't think they even use those anymore. ARRIS has picked up the slack for eMTAs. If you bought it off Ebay, it is most likely stolen/un-returned equipment that probably won't be activated. And even then, they won't activate purchased eMTAs. At least not for phone. Internet may work, though. If you're looking for phone service too, you have to get the eMTA from them, most likely an ARRIS 722G these days since Comcast has been busily upgrading to Docsis 3. See here: »www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_···AN10.pdf (There is a self install option at some Best Buy stores with a ARRIS 722G, but it hasn't gone nationwide yet.)

If you're looking for internet only and want to buy a modem, see here for a good one that's Docsis 3 ready and getting cheaper all the time: »www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-S···5&sr=8-1

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA

1 recommendation

reply to bigsexy

Just a little advise,don't ever buy a used cable modem or emta because not knowing its background can lead to throwing money out the window unless if you do get one from ebay and you get the seller to take it back which is unlikely because as long as they send you what you purchased then their isn't much you can do.You need a tech visit to get a emta going anyway,the customer can activate a HSI modem but not a digital voice modem.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to bigsexy

The SBV6220 is not on Comcast's list of approved modems. With that said, I don't think the internet modem is different than the 6120...so I think you could get the HSI provisioned. As far as the telephony, Comcast won't provision it.

The people in chat support are complete idiots, NEVER EVER ask them for anything.

You should ask for help in the Comcast Direct Forum. You'll be talking to corporate customer service reps who have the ability to give you a straight answer.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to bigsexy

I did not even see that modem on the approved list. »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

bigsexy

@comcast.net

I saved the chat with comcast support where the tech told me it was compatible with comcast voice and hsi. To be sure, I asked at least three times if the modem was all I needed and was told it was all I needed for voice and hsi. This modem came new in a sealed box. As a customer who checked out the compatibility prior to purchasing, I feel duped. I will get resolution on this even if I have to go to the CEO.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

said by bigsexy :

I saved the chat with comcast support where the tech told me it was compatible with comcast voice and hsi. To be sure, I asked at least three times if the modem was all I needed and was told it was all I needed for voice and hsi. This modem came new in a sealed box. As a customer who checked out the compatibility prior to purchasing, I feel duped. I will get resolution on this even if I have to go to the CEO.

It isn't for CDV. Don't even waste your time. I can assure you 100% you will never get it provisioned properly. I would not even chance it for HSI.

The compatibility list was there the whole time, even before your purchase. I would just return it now if you can. Another prime example of why used modem purchases are not always a good idea.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.