Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Noah Vail:

The idea of a rogue TLD appeals to me.

Not to me. I can't imagine a reason why I would ever go to a web site using a P2P DNS service. It will be the province of pirates and hackers looking to avoid legal avenues of internet access.

And just like the RIAA's mercenaries can track down music sharers, the ICE mercenaries will be able to track down users providing rogue DNS services and shut off their access to the internet thru their ISPs. Looks like it will just be one more clause added to the COICA law to make that all legal.

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

said by Noah Vail:

Not to me. I can't imagine a reason why I would ever go to a web site using a P2P DNS service. It will be the province of pirates and hackers looking to avoid legal avenues of internet access. ...

If the material of interest cannot be obtained anywhere else, I suspect this assessment may go out the window if they can actually get the tech to work as they expect. The key would be in how the traffic is disguised and how well the encryption stands up against cracking...

JMHO
Mike

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

2 recommendations

Noah Vail to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Noah Vail:

Not to me. I can't imagine a reason why I would ever go to a web site using a P2P DNS service. It will be the province of pirates and hackers looking to avoid legal avenues of internet access.

And just like the RIAA's mercenaries can track down music sharers, the ICE mercenaries will be able to track down users providing rogue DNS services and shut off their access to the internet thru their ISPs. Looks like it will just be one more clause added to the COICA law to make that all legal.

I'm not certain which is less fortunate.

1) That citizens who fail to embrace social mores established by corporations are automatically labeled as 'Pirates' and 'Hackers'.

2) That you consistently seem to be one of the folks applying the labels.

I have this vision of you incorporating yourself and silently awaiting a hostile takeover.

NV

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Noah Vail:

Not to me.

Really? I'm shocked.

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

1 edit

S_engineer to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
It's sad that its come to this point, a phrase I keep using over and over. Any desire to remain anonymous on the web gives you a scarlet letter. I think they should come up with a decentralized DNS and circumvent ICANN for no other reason than to defy this useless abuse of power. The DHS was formed to centralize law enforcement authorities efforts in thwarting terrorism, not to be stooges for the RIAA, MPAA, and Coach.
I'd like to see where in the prioritized rankings at the DHS where downloading Iron Man is higher than say...Border Invasion!
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
sounds interesting to me.the war against the mafiaa will go on.
and i am not buying any mafiaa products nor going to any theaters.
i only buy physical media and it has to be used so mafiaa will never see a dime out of me.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman to S_engineer

Premium Member

to S_engineer
I have to agree with you wholeheartedly! How does any of this fall under homeland security?? Talk about overstepping one's jurisdiction! This only adds fuel to the fire for the argument that the US should not have the control it does. I digress... this is insane to me-- DHS taking over these domains I mean.

trainwreck6
join:2010-09-21
off track

1 recommendation

trainwreck6 to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
Of course! Why would a corporate apologist post or even read DSLr is beyond me. Must be a case of a lover of self-flagellation, perhaps.

BF69 and MMH are among this trollish number. When they become corporate apologists, they shoot their ownselves in the foot.

Anyways, there would not be an "Internet" if it weren't for "hackers".

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
said by Noah Vail:

NV

It has been done before. When the ICANN was being stingy with adding extra TLD, there was someone who started their own set of master DNS servers to host the TLDs (and defer to the official ICANN sanctioned Servers for all the other domains). You (or your ISP) would point at the rogue servers and everything would work as normal so long as someone without access to the rogue Servers tried to access a domain using a rogue suffix (such as to access a site or send to an email address).

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to S_engineer

Premium Member

to S_engineer
said by S_engineer:

It's sad that its come to this point, a phrase I keep using over and over. Any desire to remain anonymous on the web gives you a scarlet letter. I think they should come up with a decentralized DNS and circumvent ICANN for no other reason than to defy this useless abuse of power. The DHS was formed to centralize law enforcement authorities efforts in thwarting terrorism, not to be stooges for the RIAA, MPAA, and Coach.
I'd like to see where in the prioritized rankings at the DHS where downloading Iron Man is higher than say...Border Invasion!

i could only imagen the reaction if they some how intigrated this with tor in such away that it all became automatic and just "worked" kinda like torpark..

of course just for mentioning tor i now have to put on a scarlet letter, i wonder if itl be a giant T or, no wait i got it, a giant onion!

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I buy most of my stuff but there is stuff that is 100% unavailable usually because of 'territorial rights' in certain jurisdictions. That is when P2P comes to the rescue. Another example is backing up.

Problem with this whole thing is that RIAA and MPAA along with these laws are driving the real thugs deeper and deeper and taking others with them. And by real thugs I mean people who are into exploiting under agers and it will make it impossible to catch them. What they need to do is to have a completely transparent and open system that is affordable to everyone rooted in mutual trust and this would stop people from needing services like this.

AAAAANDRE
@pacbell.net

AAAAANDRE to RARPSL

Anon

to RARPSL
Still there...
»www.opennicproject.org/s ··· art-here

Currently, the OpenNIC operates the .indy, .geek, .null, .oss, .parody, .bbs, .fur, .free and .ing Top Level Domains. OpenNIC also cooperatively operates the shared TLD .glue, which is shared among alternative domain name systems.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
said by Noah Vail:

NV

You should have a look at opennic then.