spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chimera4
join:2009-06-09
Washington, DC

chimera4

Not Easy

It's an interesting an, but developing trust relationships with this sort of setup is rather tricky. You can easily encrypt the traffic to make sure that man in the middle attacks aren't easy, but you still need to bypass ISP based filters against DNS traffic. You also need to figure out a way to confirm that someone is the SOA for a domain and that isn't easy in a peer to peer environment. I suppose it might be possible with some sort of public / private key setup for SOAs. I'm interested to see what they do.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by chimera4:

It's an interesting an, but developing trust relationships with this sort of setup is rather tricky. You can easily encrypt the traffic to make sure that man in the middle attacks aren't easy, but you still need to bypass ISP based filters against DNS traffic. You also need to figure out a way to confirm that someone is the SOA for a domain and that isn't easy in a peer to peer environment. I suppose it might be possible with some sort of public / private key setup for SOAs. I'm interested to see what they do.

What about using TLS? It's pretty much whitelisted by ISPs.
You could handshake under SHA-256 and then resolve names inside the encryption.

NV

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to chimera4

Premium Member

to chimera4
said by chimera4:

but you still need to bypass ISP based filters against DNS traffic.

The P2P based DNS service won't be using port 53. So ISP based filters will have no effect on this at all. The DNS queries to .P2P will be over encrypted P2P channels no doubt using high numbered ports that can be changed at random.
betam4x
join:2002-10-12
Nashville, TN

betam4x to Noah Vail

to Noah Vail
Handshake over a hashing algorithm (that can't be reversed)??? Are you sure you know what you are talking about? You can't use a hashing algorithm for this, hashes have collisions. The amount and number of collisions depend on the algorithm used. Also, how would you return the resolved IP?

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by betam4x:

Handshake over a hashing algorithm (that can't be reversed)??? Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

You are correct, I misspoke.

The Secured Connection would be established within the handshake procedure, not before.

NV