spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Downer28

@charter.com

Can I use my own cable modem?

I'm switching over to WOW and when I asked about it they told me they don't allow it and I wouldn't be able to deduct the $5 a month fee for leasing their cable modem. Should I be complaining about this or is this just their set-in-stone policy?

I'm in Southeastern Michigan btw.

Inflex

join:2002-09-05
You can use your own modem. In order to get full speeds you must use a Webstar, Arris or one particular model of Surfboard - it's listed on the forums here.

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
See this thread here.

Downer28

@charter.com
Ahh, damn. The Cisco Linksys cable modem is the one I have. Well, hopefully they'll support it in the future.

Thanks for letting me know.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
linksys cm100?

if that's the one, don't use it. It's buggy and you'll lose connection during prime time if you're in an area that has a lot of wow customers.

grab a webstar 2100 v2. It's roughly $20 on ebay and it works flawlessly.

gene32

join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to Downer28
I used a Linksys CM100 cable modem when I was with WOW. It's a DOCSIS 2 modem. Be warned though, if you own your own cable modem, WOW (like all other ISPs) won't lift a finger to work on problems you're having with the internet (even if you know it's an issue with their network). For any sort of problem, you'll have to wait for it to resolve itself or do what I did, switch ISPs. They will blame your owned cable modem for everything under the sun and tell you there's nothing wrong with their network (even though everyone on your street with their service is having the same problem as you) and your problems are because you aren't using their cable modem. Sucks but be warned.

Section147

join:2010-12-06
Westlake, OH
reply to Downer28
Hey everyone. Brand new here, so forgive my ignorance. Did a little surfing, and need some verification. I currently have a TV, Internet & Phone bundle w/WOW. That apparently means I can't replace my WOW-provided Arris Touchstone with a self-purchased modem because it's EMTA (due to the fact that I'm using their VOIP)...would that be correct? Also, is the Arris Touchstone (TM502G/H) they provided some years back WOW's most "current" unit or should I be asking for the latest modem? Just want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for the buck now that they're hitting us with the new $5 a month rental fee on these things. Thanks very much for your help!

bluebeard
Premium
Knoxville, TN

1 recommendation

reply to Downer28
I don't recommend using any other modem that what the ISP instructs. I know it's silly to pay $5/month for a cheap modem, but when you have problems with the circuit, they will likely use that as a reason not to troubleshoot.

ab11

@wideopenwest.com
reply to Downer28
dewd u certianly can, i use a SB5101 and my speeds are at
30+mbps down and about 4 up

»www.speedtest.net/result/1055324123.png

»www.sbhacker.net/forum/index.php···%91-now/

You can find modems for sale here also

Section147

Westlake, OH
Again...even with VIOP???

ab11

@wideopenwest.com
Sorry 147 for not addressing that in my post, It was not worth it for me in Chicago. I don't have wired Home phones. I am in charge of all the billing at work so my cell phones are free

DanDT

join:2010-04-21
Naperville, IL
reply to ab11
said by ab11 :

WOW does not provide speed packages that fast. If you got those stats, you have some sort of software on your computer that's changing your packet size in order to get a faster result. In reality, you are not getting those speeds. Just an FYI.

ab11

@wideopenwest.com
said by DanDT:

said by ab11 :

WOW does not provide speed packages that fast. If you got those stats, you have some sort of software on your computer that's changing your packet size in order to get a faster result. In reality, you are not getting those speeds. Just an FYI.

1) Thats the difference between Owning your modem, and leasing a modem from them. When you own it, you can go into it and change anything you want. When you lease they lock you out of it, after all it is thier modem. 2) The software is not on the computer that needs changing its on the modem. When most people log onto the GUI page (192.168.xx.xx) of a leased modem all they see is statistics. If you owned that modem that page would look different and things you could change. Downstream and upstream speeds, aggregation, BPI information, number of IP addresses allowable.
3) Thats a burst speed i posted. I don't run at that speed all day everyday. For me it was worth it to buy the Haxorware modem. It was about 70$$ i think and i've had it for 2 years. I got my money worth out of it. And i dont recall saying i had a WOW package,, but i do. Its 1.5 down and 768 up

The modems are 40$ on ebay today
»compare.ebay.com/like/1304441535···2_304662

DanDT

join:2010-04-21
Naperville, IL
WOW's slowest package is 2 down, 1 up. You didn't state you had WOW, but it's printed on your speed test result.

The Joker

join:2003-08-01
reply to Downer28
Don't they threaten to reduce your speeds in half when using your own modem.

I tried once and only got 4mb when I had the 15mb package.