Frank
is chilling
Premium
join:2000-11-03
somewhere
reply to FFH

Re: UBP can be fair

No it cant....

The only way usage based billing would be fair would be if they charged lite users (ie: grandma who checks her email once a week) something like $2 a month which is something THAT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN
--
At first I thought everyone on the highway was drunk but then I realized I was driving in Florida

amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22

1 recommendation

said by Frank:

The only way usage based billing would be fair would be if they charged lite users (ie: grandma who checks her email once a week) something like $2 a month which is something THAT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN

There is basic cost just for maintaining an open account, billing, customer support, advertising, etc.

My water, electric, natural gas are usage billed. They rise and fall with my usage, but never to $0.

IMO, broadband should be treated like a similar public utility to ensure rates, profit, investments, etc., are appropriate. But, appropriate doesn't mean overhead recovery ceases to exist.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1

said by amigo_boy:

said by Frank:

There is basic cost just for maintaining an open account, billing, customer support, advertising, etc.

My water, electric, natural gas are usage billed. They rise and fall with my usage, but never to $0.

IMO, broadband should be treated like a similar public utility to ensure rates, profit, investments, etc., are appropriate. But, appropriate doesn't mean overhead recovery ceases to exist.

yeah, i get charged a "base meter fee" for my power, gas, and water. the difference? i get the first X amount of each one included in that fee. do you honestly think ISP's will say a base fee of $15 a month that gets you the frist say 5GB's included? hardly, theyl charge the $15 as an "access fee" and then charge for every single byte of data including im willing to bet that includes the DHCP traffic for their own network....

kpfx

join:2005-10-28
San Antonio, TX

said by thedragonmas:

do you honestly think ISP's will say a base fee of $15 a month that gets you the frist say 5GB's included? hardly, theyl charge the $15 as an "access fee" and then charge for every single byte of data including im willing to bet that includes the DHCP traffic for their own network....

Actually yes, because that's exactly what the "light" users are already paying so it won't affect their profits. AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, etc all have basic/light tiers in the $15-25 range.

In fact, a $15/mo 5 GB initial package just opens up the opportunity for more revenue when that "light" user has friends & family over.... or does something more than "check their email" in the off-chance they try out this new-fangled Netflix Youtube Hulu thing.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to thedragonmas

That has always been my beef with metered billing. OK, so I regularly see all this ARP and DHCP traffic keeping my TWC modem busy nearly constantly. Soooo....under UBP, will I get charged for all this traffic I never wanted in the first place? One attempt from one user constantly pinging you or SYN flooding you can ruin your day or indeed your whole month because there is all that traffic you most certainly didn't want and probably didn't deserve either. I also think about all the spam that rolls through my mail server, not to mention all the spamming attempts which get cut off right at the MTA (Sendmail) because they're not accepted in the first place.

We consumers only deserve metered billing to the extent upstreams do metered billing. Last I knew, that's not the way it worked; they pretty much all are some flat rate per month.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

According to Comcast posts and Q & A's, their metering system doesn't count that traffic. I can't speak to what other systems may or may not do.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

Well, more to the point, MMH, it's nontrivial to figure out in an automated way which traffic is legit and what isn't. A spam attempt for example looks just like email that I want, except maybe for the 4xx or 5xx response (I use 4xx a lot to slow spammers down). And there's still the possibility of some horked-off user driving up my bill by sending nonsense traffic, if only by accidentally typing my address into his/her attack tool instead of his/her intended target's address.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!