spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Phil75070
join:2005-08-17
Mckinney, TX

Phil75070

Wasted bandwidth

Metered billing would be 'OK' depending on the caps, but the problem is a lot of bandwidth gets eaten up by stuff one doesn't want, advertising, embedded video and music, etc.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

Re: Wasted bandwidth

said by Phil75070:

Metered billing would be 'OK' depending on the caps, but the problem is a lot of bandwidth gets eaten up by stuff one doesn't want, advertising, embedded video and music, etc.

thats a side effect i dont think they have thought of. if they went to metered billing and people started blocking every single advertisement out there. then what? personally i dont block "most" of the ad's, since they do support the sites i use. (the amazingly annoying ones with audio goes right to my block list in my router). so if they go to metered billing and people start blocking them all, what happens to the sites that depend on that cash flow? paywalled? not likely to survive long after that unless they have some REALLY good content. no, what will end up happening is advertisers finding even more sneaky dirty underhanded tricks to get their ad's seen.

i am reminded of pop-up and pop-under hell :|
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Phil75070

Premium Member

to Phil75070
Metered billing will lead to a new arms race between the ad vendors and the people making things like adblock. more and more websites will try and hide things behind paywalls because people will block ads to save money.

Though to be honest, Multimedia ads are such a horrible idea to start with.
cornelius785
join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA

cornelius785

Re: Wasted bandwidth

Putting a list of ad servers in a hosts file or in a local/private DNS server and having the sites go to some local address is going to be awfully hard to counter.