Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to Jack_in_VA

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

I don't think Evdo Rev-a can have speed that horrible, either you are getting throttled, your equipment is bad, or your pc is really loaded with programs accessing the Internet. When I do speed tests I do them on my PC that has Windows XP, with only a few programs installed, I get a 88ms ping, if I go to my laptop with a whole load of programs my ping is about 150-200ms.

bigzeto
Premium
join:2010-10-29
Baton Rouge, LA

Tower by my house. My other tests were for the tower right across the street from my work.

pivonka571

join:2005-02-03
La Crosse, KS
reply to bigzeto

Re: SPRINT PCS hits all time low!

bigz, before despairing I would
1. Turn off QOS
2. Turn off (disable) NetBios over TCP/IP

It looks to me like you bandwith/signal processor *may* be being over loaded by these services. I've greatly increased measured connection speeds by turning them off.

Disabling NetBios over TCP/IP can cause the loss of connectivity IF your machine has beein infected by a NetBios Name trojan, I've been told these alter settings to make DHCP dependant on NetBios being active, to ensute that the NetBios function used by the Trojan's server is not shut down. I've had to remove such dependancies from several XP machines through registry edits over the years.

pivonka571

join:2005-02-03
La Crosse, KS

1 edit
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: How's your speed for December 2010?

I had a total outage of Sprint digital service on both my Sierra 598U and my HTC Hero Andorid last weekend. After spending 12 hours working through multiple (6-8 cycles apiece) cycles of rebots and resets with two different Sprint reps, one of whom talked me into a redo of the communications stack on the laptop, the other into a hard reset of the Android (lost everything, still recovering) the second agreed to report a tower problem.

After the tower was repaired (of course it was a tower problem - why else would both devices data service go down simultaneously?) I got much improved speeds - pretty good for rural West Central Kansas:

This is with a new Cradlepoint CTR500 Wireless Broadband router installed - what a pleasure that has been. It seems to help the Sierra 598U settle down - or maybe it's just that they are up against the windowpane on what I assume is the tower side of the house.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to Jack_in_VA

join:2007-09-25
Edgewood, TX
reply to Jack_in_VA

Joshua_A

join:2010-12-12
Benton, MO
reply to Jack_in_VA

Current.

Earlier today it was 1.1 mb download.

dalekinder

join:2009-01-17
Virginia Beach, VA

1 edit

Re: Current

This is my speed during the evening hours, I live in benton AR and can not get dsl (i use to live in Sheridan and had 3mb dsl but moved) I do miss my dsl and the lower latency for gaming but this is all I can get.

Im actually using the wifi hotspot on my lg optimus and then connecting though wifi, But on the phone I get about 114-180ms ping on the android speed test app, At night I usally cap out at around 1mb-1.2mb with a 600kbps upload, During the day i do not get these speeds, im lucky to get 300-700kbps on the download. Down the road from me is a major truck stop and interstate and im sure theres ALOT of cell usage.

The truck stop also has the internet hookups so that they can pull in and hook internet up to their trucks and the lines which im sure are t1lines are shared with the truck stop internet hookups. Before i moved to sheridan I had sprint for my internet here and was always 1.2mb on the download.

However a year ago they decided to have the truck stop internet hookups added there and the engineers decided that it would be a good idea to get the internet from the cell sites as the lines were already layed, and the cell site was right next to the truck stop (im assuming t1 lines feed the towers) and all they had to do was setup a little dslam or mutiplexier and feed the truck stop internet hookups straight from the cell sites, and since then it has bogged down during the day and right back to 1.2mb at night. Hopefully they will add a couple more t-1 lines to make up for the congestion.

And im pretty sure since the truckers are paying alot to use the internet per hour traffic is prioritized to make sure they get full bandwith Anywho thought i would chime in and let you guys see my speeds.. you are not alone!

dalekinder

join:2009-01-17
Virginia Beach, VA

Another. Gets better at midnight.

Joshua_A

Benton, MO

I just did a speed test a couple of minutes ago.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: How's your speed for December 2010?

Joshua_A

Benton, MO

Note: I'm using Jolicloud OS (Linux)
It's slower on Windows. And I've tweaked Windows, too. Linux always works for me.

bigzeto
Premium
join:2010-10-29
Baton Rouge, LA
reply to Jack_in_VA

The 2nd test was run with an Alltel PRL as my area has Alltel data roaming.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Jack_in_VA

Huge speed boost by disabling traffic shaping in my MBR-1000, ya.

blazintails

join:2007-08-25
reply to Jack_in_VA

Hey Jack been a long time. You know Im still using the CDU 680 myself darn thing was 3 yrs old in September this year. Ive had to take it apart and blow it out a time or two, but its still rock solid.

Merry Christmas!!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

Hey Merry Christmas to you too..

My CDU-680 is still doing fine. Still taped to the window.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA

Just tested and got 61/159....

tman852

join:2010-07-06
reply to Jack_in_VA

noshooz

join:2001-12-12
Columbia, MD
reply to Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to Jack_in_VA

W4DRA
D a v e

join:2003-06-02
Dunnellon, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to Jack_in_VA

W4DRA
D a v e

Dunnellon, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA

powerspec88
Premium
join:2007-03-11
Independence, MO
reply to Jack_in_VA

Sitting in a small town with a truck stop.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN

Well I did some testing with my connection on Home Agent performance. Chicago, IL was giving me an faster ping time, but the pings would jump from 83ms to 150ms to 223ms, back to 83ms constantly, so I knew that Chicago, IL has a greater population than Kansas City, MO. I switched my Home Agent to Kansas City, MO and I had a steady ping from 104ms to 150ms, and it was a lot more steady, and had less jitter than the Home Agent of Chicago, IL. My speed has been a lot faster, and gaming has been much better. This was the best speed test I have ever got. This was done at 10PM.

powerspec88
Premium
join:2007-03-11
Independence, MO
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to Jack_in_VA

Looks like speeds for 4G have gone down the drain here, looks like there is not enough backhaul. Use to hit 7-8Mbps with ease.

-73dBm and less than a mile from tower.
--
»twitter.com/powerspec | »speedtest.kcmogaming.net
My Internetz: CenturyLink 10/896, AT&T 6/768, Sprint 4G Hotspot
Computer: Q6600@3.2GHz, GA-P35-DS3L, 4GB DDR2, GTX 295, Corsair 750W, Antec 1200

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

It might or might not do some good, but I would let Sprint know what's going on. Your beef is legitimate: Sprint's official 4G WiMax download specs AT A MINIUMUM are 3mbps.

W4DRA
D a v e

Dunnellon, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA