Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

noshooz

join:2001-12-12
Columbia, MD
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: How's your speed for December 2010?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to Jack_in_VA

W4DRA
D a v e

join:2003-06-02
Dunnellon, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to Jack_in_VA

W4DRA
D a v e

Dunnellon, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA

powerspec88
Premium
join:2007-03-11
Mission, KS
reply to Jack_in_VA

Sitting in a small town with a truck stop.

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

Well I did some testing with my connection on Home Agent performance. Chicago, IL was giving me an faster ping time, but the pings would jump from 83ms to 150ms to 223ms, back to 83ms constantly, so I knew that Chicago, IL has a greater population than Kansas City, MO. I switched my Home Agent to Kansas City, MO and I had a steady ping from 104ms to 150ms, and it was a lot more steady, and had less jitter than the Home Agent of Chicago, IL. My speed has been a lot faster, and gaming has been much better. This was the best speed test I have ever got. This was done at 10PM.

powerspec88
Premium
join:2007-03-11
Mission, KS
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to Jack_in_VA

Looks like speeds for 4G have gone down the drain here, looks like there is not enough backhaul. Use to hit 7-8Mbps with ease.

-73dBm and less than a mile from tower.
--
»twitter.com/powerspec | »speedtest.kcmogaming.net
My Internetz: CenturyLink 10/896, AT&T 6/768, Sprint 4G Hotspot
Computer: Q6600@3.2GHz, GA-P35-DS3L, 4GB DDR2, GTX 295, Corsair 750W, Antec 1200

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
It might or might not do some good, but I would let Sprint know what's going on. Your beef is legitimate: Sprint's official 4G WiMax download specs AT A MINIUMUM are 3mbps.

W4DRA
D a v e

Dunnellon, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Are those your 3G speeds or your 4G speeds?

If those are your 3G speeds then they're in spec (Sprint's 3G minimum specs are 600 down, 350 up). If they're 4G speeds then they are seriously ill, since Sprint's minimum specs for those are 3mbps down and .5mbps (500kb) up.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA
Sigh...I guess I need to call Sprint too? I seriously am getting sick of these morons.

.29mb down and .25mb up..

stonecat

join:2009-11-27
Saint Cloud, MN
reply to Jack_in_VA

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Cheese
said by Cheese:

Sigh...I guess I need to call Sprint too?...29mb down and .25mb up.

I would call them, yes. Even if that's your 3G speed, that's still seriously below spec.

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
said by criggs:

said by Cheese:

Sigh...I guess I need to call Sprint too?...29mb down and .25mb up.

I would call them, yes. Even if that's your 3G speed, that's still seriously below spec.

It shows it connected to 3g, ill give them a call tomorrow as I am having other issues such as not being able to send text on roaming.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to Jack_in_VA
What a great way to end 2010. Sprint network and my CDU-680 working great. Thank you Sprint.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

How about this speedtest to Tokyo?

Hey, cute! So I did the same thing with the Sprint 4G WiMax from NYC:

I was sort of pleasantly surprised. Still in spec!

W4DRA
D a v e

Dunnellon, FL
reply to Jack_in_VA

chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
reply to Jack_in_VA
Just went to the Sprint Store today, and found out that I can upgrade my old U727 while keeping the old "Unlimited" plan. The Franklin U600 is much faster than the old card, the old card lately only got about .3Mbps down and .2Mbps up.

criggs

New York, NY
And the U600 also has 4G WiMax capability, when and if it gets to your neighborhood. That's the modem I have, and the WiMax so far has been solid as a rock (I'm in midtown Manhattan, NYC).

chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
That's good to know, Thanks! The manager at the store said that they were working on the towers in our area and that we would get it soon, and that Sprint was very serious about getting 4G everywhere, but unfortunately I don't know if he was feeding me a line of bull...

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
In a way he was, I think. You see, as far as I know, Sprint has just about NOTHING to say when it comes to the buildup of their 4G WiMax network. That is being handled entirely by another company, Clearwire. I believe Sprint just rents space on Clearwire's network.

I also expect the speed of the rollout to slow down a bit unfortunately this year. I know that the Sprint coverage map for NYC, which supposedly was "covered" on November 1 last year, looks like a piece of Swiss cheese, and has looked like that for over a month, so the rollout may be either stalled or moving at a snail's pace.

Rumors have also been flying that Clearwire, which took on some debt to finish the initial 4G WiMax rollout last year, is again in financial difficulty. Also their chair quit at the end of 2010, for reasons unknown but which some have speculated may be related to their financial uncertainty.

There have also been rumors that Sprint wants to switch from the WiMax technology to the LTE technology. Whether they would be able to do that using Clearwire's existing network, or whether they'd have to dump that network and build a new one, or lease space on Verizon Wireless' LTE network, is something I don't know.

There may be an engineer reading this post who might know the answer to that question.

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
said by criggs:

In a way he was, I think. You see, as far as I know, Sprint has just about NOTHING to say when it comes to the buildup of their 4G WiMax network. That is being handled entirely by another company, Clearwire. I believe Sprint just rents space on Clearwire's network.

I also expect the speed of the rollout to slow down a bit unfortunately this year. I know that the Sprint coverage map for NYC, which supposedly was "covered" on November 1 last year, looks like a piece of Swiss cheese, and has looked like that for over a month, so the rollout may be either stalled or moving at a snail's pace.

Rumors have also been flying that Clearwire, which took on some debt to finish the initial 4G WiMax rollout last year, is again in financial difficulty. Also their chair quit at the end of 2010, for reasons unknown but which some have speculated may be related to their financial uncertainty.

There have also been rumors that Sprint wants to switch from the WiMax technology to the LTE technology. Whether they would be able to do that using Clearwire's existing network, or whether they'd have to dump that network and build a new one, or lease space on Verizon Wireless' LTE network, is something I don't know.

There may be an engineer reading this post who might know the answer to that question.

The reason Sprint has been so aggressive with WiMax instead of LTE is that the company has already acquired a lot of the spectrum with its acquisition of ClearWire a few years ago. For more on 4G technology, you can read our quick primer on the subject.

»www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-200054 ··· -85.html

I would consider it Sprint.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Thank you. That was a succinct overall primer.

said by Cheese:

I would consider it Sprint.

Sorry, missed you on that turn! You would consider _what_ Sprint?