share rss forum feed

Maar

join:2009-04-09
Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Maar

Re: DSL Speed Issues

Still seeing large drops in speed and high pings during peak times. I have had DSL for over 4 years relatively trouble free until lately and I am told "we see no issues on our network that would be causing any adverse affects". Well, there are 3 neighbors all within a half mile that are having the same issue with slowdowns during peak time. From reading this forum, this seems to be a pretty common issue all over your service areas.

Is this the best service I can get? Other than offering to cut my speed in half for a second time, is there nothing that can be done to improve upon this? How about upgrading / adding some equipment? Hell, I will allow you to put one of your fenced in boxes on a piece of my property that is about 16-17k feet from the one that is dispensing this part-time DSL. I am only asking for what I am paying for. This service that is only working at half or less of what it should is not acceptable.

Please fix this. Thanks.

Windstream
Premium,VIP
join:2009-03-31
Twinsburg, OH
kudos:38

Your signal has dropped even further in the last day it seems; your downstream SNR is only at 8db at the moment. We've scheduled a field dispatch in order to take a look at the connection to see if the signal can be improved as it can cause problems.

However, as far as latency is concerned, there are still no present issues that we have found on our network. As we've mentioned before, we cannot test the actual path to your connection since there is a router with a firewall blocking ICMP traffic. Removing that would help our testing.

We'll see what the field tech finds in regards to the signal and go from there.
-JV 58519
--
We're here to help! wci.broadbandhelp@windstream.com

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

I have removed the router so you can perform whatever tests you need.

Once again, here is some speed / ping results from right now. My connection used to look like this 24/7. Get it back to this in the evenings and you will not be bothered by me anymore. Thanks.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

Another weekend with unusable service. I will have my router disconnected all day tomorrow so Windstream can test whatever you are wanting to test.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

2 AM and my connection is back to normal. How can it be anything other than a oversubscribed/capacity issue when the ONLY time I have the problems is when it is during peak hours for internet use? This happens day after day. This cannot be a coincidence.

MarkW77

join:2005-07-22

Join the club. This is a VERY common issue with Windstream. I have been having trouble for the past month and its still ongoing. I am to the point where I am going to start calling every day until I get some answers. They will either get tired of me calling and fix it or they will cut me off

Windstream
Premium,VIP
Twinsburg, OH
reply to Maar

Thanks for taking the router off; we did find an issue that could cause adverse performance and the issues you are seeing. We've opened a ticket to network operations for further investigation/testing/repair and will let you know as soon as we get an update.
-JV 58519
--

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to MarkW77

said by MarkW77:

Join the club. This is a VERY common issue with Windstream. I have been having trouble for the past month and its still ongoing. I am to the point where I am going to start calling every day until I get some answers. They will either get tired of me calling and fix it or they will cut me off

Yeah I have seen your thread and others that seem to be experiencing the same part time DSL service that I am getting. I hope that it is something that can be resolved in a timely manner. It is very frustrating to have DSL that is unusable during the times that you want to use it. We only want what we pay for. I do not think that is asking too much. Good luck with your problem..hope they get your service fixed soon.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

said by Windstream:

Thanks for taking the router off; we did find an issue that could cause adverse performance and the issues you are seeing. We've opened a ticket to network operations for further investigation/testing/repair and will let you know as soon as we get an update.
-JV 58519

Great...I hope you have found what is causing the problem. How long do you expect the testing/repair to take? When can I use my router again? Thanks again for your assistance.

Windstream
Premium,VIP
Twinsburg, OH

We don't have an ETR as of yet, but you can put your router back on whenever you'd like.
-JV
--

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

said by Windstream:

We don't have an ETR as of yet, but you can put your router back on whenever you'd like.
-JV

Alright thanks, I will keep the thread updated with speed / ping results until we see some improvement.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

Connection was actually pretty stable yesterday and last night, at least better than it has been. Today it is normal one minute and bad the next, which is odd cause during the day it is usually normal. Speed test goes from 1.3 down to .5 back to 1.3 etc. Looks like the tach of a car being revved up. Pings are the same, good one test and bad the next.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

11:15 Saturday Night, not so great.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

Still seeing slow downs during peak times.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

And the pattern continues. More daytime results.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

So what has your investigation/testing/repair found out? Cause I am still getting slow downs during peak times.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
More results for you from Windstream's site.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

More daytime test results.

MarkW77

I was told to call 1-888-292-3827 and tell them I wanted to have my line tested as the problem was happening. I called them and they set up a test for tonight.
You may want to give them a call and see what can be done.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

said by MarkW77:

I was told to call 1-888-292-3827 and tell them I wanted to have my line tested as the problem was happening. I called them and they set up a test for tonight.
You may want to give them a call and see what can be done.

Awesome, thanks. I will give them a call and see what they can find out. Been over a week with no updates from WS on this issue.

Windstream
Premium,VIP
Twinsburg, OH

Having a line test ran will do nothing. As we told you earlier, we are already aware of an issue which is being worked on. A line test is a troubleshooting step. No troubleshooting needs to be performed when the issue has already been found.

Also, that phone number is to level 1 support, just FYI.
-JV 58519
--

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

said by Windstream:

As we told you earlier, we are already aware of an issue which is being worked on.
-JV 58519

Yes, 9 days ago you stated you found an issue that could cause adverse performance. Could you possibly give a brief explanation as to what issue would cause your service to be bad only during peak times? And yeah that number was not much help, they told me they were well aware of my 100% packet loss issue and it was being looked into. I told her I did not have a packet loss issue but she assured me that I did and it would be fixed soon.

So I'll tell you what. I will not ask for an ETA anymore since it seems to put you guys out. I will however continue to update this thread to document the issues I am experiencing. Please do not mistake my frustration with these issues as a lack of appreciation for your efforts to fix my problem. I do appreciate your assistance in helping resolve this.

MarkW77

reply to Windstream

How about a reply for my issue then? I would be happy to see an explanation to whats happening to my DSL line between the hours of 8:00 and 11:00.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

Results from right now Noon Dec. 17th 2010. Connection is all over the place.

shakaar397

join:2010-11-24
reply to Maar

said by Maar:

2 AM and my connection is back to normal. How can it be anything other than a oversubscribed/capacity issue when the ONLY time I have the problems is when it is during peak hours for internet use? This happens day after day. This cannot be a coincidence.

This is what I've been thinking, these are PEAK usage hours (5-12 during the week, during the day sometimes on weekends).

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 edit

said by shakaar397:

said by Maar:

This is what I've been thinking, these are PEAK usage hours (5-12 during the week, during the day sometimes on weekends).

It has been the same pattern for almost 2 months straight. Yet Windstream says it cannot be a oversubscribed/capacity issue. I have 3 neighbors that experience the EXACT same speed issues during peak times. I would really like to know what else could be causing such slow downs and unusable service during these times. Yet, off peak hours the connection is perfect. My patience is wearing thin regarding this. At least 3 of my neighbors finally realize what is going on and they plan to start complaining about the poor service. I am not going to go away until you fix this Windstream. All your customers want is what they are paying for.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

6am the connection is fine.

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

3.5 hours later. Amazing.

9:30 AM Dec 19th 2010

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream

2 edits
reply to Windstream

More peak time speeds.
3:15pm Dec. 19th 2010

Maar

Story, AR
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Windstream

Click for full size
Click for full size
Sunday Dec. 19th 5:00 pm test results from Windstreams test page.