uniqs
share rss forum feed

netwire
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Shelby, NC
kudos:1

Service issues, constant roaming

I live in zip code 28152 and for the past two or so days I have been roaming almost constantly no matter where I go to in my city. I noticed the post about Verizon having some issues with a vendor but I do not seem to be in the area with that problem. I have tried the *228 a few times without a change.
--
The above nonsense was brought to you in part by Netwire. Your premier internet discussion board information and solutions provider.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

I found out the hard way that when you update (*228/send option 2) the phone's software you have to do it in the local area the phone is provisioned in. Back in 2002, I bought a Verizon Phone and it was provisioned with a 319 (Cedar Rapids, IA) area code and then I moved to Springfield, Massachusetts (413 area code). Here was the problem, I updated to phone's PRL or Preferred Roaming List outside the Phone's local coverage area despite the fact I was on a national plan. After making that mistake, the phone's solid roam (not extended network) indicator came on but I was being charged non roaming rates. I then changed the service address and phone number on the account to a 413 number with a Mass billing address and the issue went away after re-provisioning the phone. Verizon's network is programmed into cells (you can tell which cell aka. SID number that the phone is on through the phone's interface. I am traveling right now and in the Portland, Maine area I am picking up SID 119 with my mobile broadband card. I have AT&T for Cell Phone Service (iPhone) and I have no issues with them but Verizon has a much better price on mobile broadband, despite the fact I have been loyal to AT&T for six years (originally left Verizon for AT&T then Cingular because Verizon had signal issues in Springfield, MA but Verizon has since improved). Also, if your area has a lot of rural areas, you may be in Partner Coverage areas aka Extended Network. When I had Verizon, there was a gap in native coverage because you would be in the extended network between the New Hampshire line and the Portland area. When I would be at my Grandma's house in Biddeford, ME which used to be in that gap, I'd pick up Unicell towers and guess what, Verizon bought Unicell and now that area is native coverage to Verizon.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com

Well, that's just not true. At least now it isn't. I travel around the country and do my *228 each month or if I have trouble getting Verizon instead of something else.

You DO have to BE in verizon coverage to update.
--
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

It must have changed since. What I am talking about happened in 2002 when they still offered local plans and national coverage cost more. I was on the Americas Choice 450 plan back then. The regional plans (which have been eliminated) offered more minutes at a lower cost. National plans are the standard now. The phone this happened on was a Motorola v60c which was the good old days when the screens were grayscale and the phone had analog and digital capabilities. This was also the days on the A and B networks where if the network it was picking up was wrong it would roam (VZW in IA was B side and in MA was A side). And you were limited to the ringtones on the phone (could not have "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen or my current ringtone "know your enemy" by Green Day as your ringtone). And my favorite classic the Nokia 5100 series with the cool faceplates. The newer phones probably don't have this issue and the issue I'm talking about happened in 2002 and involved two different markets within the same company. I had to call a special customer service number to relocate the account since it involved a market change and I waited on hold over 45 minutes. I don't see anything on my new MiFi that resembles the past. Their network seems to be more unified and I dont see the same options the old school gear has such as the A and B side network selections.