join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US

Feeling shaky about upcoming test

Hi folks,

So I'm taking test 640-802 later this month. I've used the TestOut LabSim to study and have a little lab at home to practice and reinforce the lessons.

After finally mastering some of the material that I was initially struggling to understand, I felt pretty confident. That is until I came across some practice questions at the Cisco Academy page in Facebook.

Has anyone used the TestOut LabSims to study for your CCNA? Or does anyone think their material is good enough to prepare for the exam? If not, what stuff should I be looking at?

I'd hate to have my confidence knocked to the floor after having studied this much and failing the test.

Please help. TIA

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Anyone?

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
Can't answer your question, but I wish you well!
Are you in control of how soon you are taking the test?

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
Yes, but I had already set myself a test date as a definite mental goal.

I'm finding some free practice material online. Most of the questions aren't foreign to me, but some I can't recall being covered in the lessons.

Thanks though.. I really hope I'm ready.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Network Guy
Been awhile since I did my NA, and I think it was under the old curriculum, so I don't know what's
stayed the same and what has changed. Some advice in general :

- if you get any more material, by all means test yourself against it, however don't overdo it.
There is no 'best' material, and it all comes down to when you sit at that test station whether
you know / can do it or not.

- review the material and see if it makes any sense to you. From what I remember of my own NA,
the actual exam doesn't try and toss you any curveballs, but the NetAcad stuff LOVES throwing
them every other question.

- on exam day, remember to 1) relax, 2) breathe, 3) read the questions carefully, and 4) leave some
spare time afterwards to go through any questions you may have missed before. Sometimes it's a case
of you know the material but you get a case of brainlock, and the extra time at the end lets you
go back after you finish and try again.

Best of luck!

Regards

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
The curve balls is what I'm worried about. I know the material well and have put enough hands-on time on my lab to feel confident about what I studied. But just like with any IT job, the only way to speak Cisco fluently is to actually having done hands-on time in a production environment.

Having done IT for 11 years now, it's a little unsettling to be a newbie at something again.

I still have three weeks to get a feel for how ready I feel. I honestly think I'm ready, but I just don't know what to expect on the real exam.

CiscoGuy33
Premium
join:2006-03-16
Tampa, FL
reply to Network Guy
Network Guy,

Good luck on the exam, as with any Cisco exam it can make you think !!!!

Read each question and ALL the answers, THEN pick the best answer and go onto the next question, you can not go back, so don't waste time, you know it or you don't, if you know your stuff you should be able to get it down to 2 good answers.

The CCNA is a lot about troubleshooting, so on your lab, try EVERY command you come across in your study material and LOOK at the output, what does the command show you!!!

If you have not done so, I would read the Sybex CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammel - one of the best CCNA study guides and I have taught in a Cisco Network CCNA Academy since 1999

As for the questions from the Cisco Academy that you find, of course Cisco will not use "real" questions but what many of the questions do is help you get used to "how" Cisco asks questions.

Best way to use test software is take the test and then go back to the areas that you did poorly on and study that and do hands on in your lab, DO NOT TRY TO LEARN THE QUESTIONS - understand the concepts!!

Good luck !

Gene