GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

UBB is BS

It costs an ISP to increase capacity/bandwidth (more bits per second) or to enlarge its footprint (more customers to serve), both of which are paid for--over and over again--by the current monthly fees. It costs an ISP no more to transmit 1 GB than it does to transmit 1 MB; whether you "consume" 250GB or 25GB, your "cost" to the ISP is the same. In fact, over time--as equipment is upgraded--it costs the ISP less. And we're supposed to pay more for increasing their profit margin? Yeah, right. UBB is not PAYG. If my ISP institutes as PAYG plan, that's fine. If, however, my ISP institutes a UBB plan, I'll drop them like the hot turd they are. I won't pay extra to be ripped off.
ToiletMint
join:2009-12-07
Pine River, MN

ToiletMint

^ What he said!

I know first hand what it takes to implement capacity improvements while working for TDS telecom, and I can tell you that leasing a light-wave from ATT is not that bad considering.

What I see happening here is that Online services like Netflix, GoogleTV, Hulu, will work with company's like Level 3 and make it a nightmare for the On and Off ramps like Comcast/time Warner.

Lets see how fast the internet goes when you have to go around major back-hauls.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan

Premium Member

Good luck to those of us stuck in duopoloys.