spc
Search similar:

uniqs

redkingca
join:2000-09-05
Canada

redkingca

30 minute IP Lease (Winnipeg North End)

I have been getting an IP from Shaw with as 3600 sec lease since Nov 26/10. This is really annoying I have tried talking to Shaw through chat and the Shaw reps say that there is no construction in my area.

Any ideas what is going on? I have done the classic power cycle everything and even hard reset my router, but I still can only get a 30 minute lease on an IP instead of the usual 24 hours.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

Power cycling everything and hard resetting your router will not change the configuration of their DHCP servers that hand out your IP addresses.

Simply wait for Shaw to change the lease time, dealing with tech support isn't going to get it resolved since in reality there is nothing wrong.

Jumpy
@shawcable.net

Jumpy to redkingca

Anon

to redkingca
If your lease time is that short it is more than likely it is intended to be so. Reducing the lease time will allow Shaw to move IP blocks around (since they can ensure everyone is no longer using one of the IPs) or move customer's between their routers (either for balancing purposes, or to subdivide their network).
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to redkingca

Premium Member

to redkingca
As long as your router or computer remains connected to the Shaw network, the IP address should not change. The lease will simply renew itself with the same IP with no interruption in connection.

If your connection is dropping out every 30 minutes or your IP is changing every 30 minutes, then you DO have a problem.

redkingca
join:2000-09-05
Canada

redkingca

It's the same IP since this started(a different IP than What I had last week). Maybe someone at Shaw actually reads these, I got an IP with a 12 hour lease at Noon today. Maybe tonight I will get back my 24 hour lease.
Shawesome2
join:2010-05-13
Winnipeg, MB

Shawesome2 to TheMG

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

As long as your router or computer remains connected to the Shaw network, the IP address should not change. The lease will simply renew itself with the same IP with no interruption in connection.

If your connection is dropping out every 30 minutes or your IP is changing every 30 minutes, then you DO have a problem.

I'm with you... I don't really see any problem here unless you're losing connectivity.