join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

Time to Kibbles

Premium Member

to Kibbles

Re: Getting laid....off.

said by Kibbles:

Blizzard has a "few" openings »us.blizzard.com/en-us/co ··· y=Irvine

Yes, however you won't be hearing back for months unless you have an internal referral.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon

I actually applied for a database job there over a year ago. Never heard nothin'. They probably think I'm too old for that sort of environment.

- FM

Time
Premium Member
Irvine, CA

Time

Premium Member

said by FutureMon:

I actually applied for a database job there over a year ago. Never heard nothin'. They probably think I'm too old for that sort of environment.

- FM

I doubt that's the case at all, you just need to show an interest in their products to be fully considered. There are quite a few older folks who work there. It's a company that has a very unique culture, so they are looking for people who can mesh into the geeky surroundings of Blizzard.
banner
Premium Member
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

banner to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
My buddy posted that Electronic Arts is looking for senior architects in Portland, maybe they pay more.

Kibbles
Premium Member
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

Kibbles to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
Did you attach a picture of your WoW character?

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

said by Kibbles:

Did you attach a picture of your WoW character?

I don't play WoW. My computer couldn't handle it if I did. Also, knowing that I have an addictive personality when it comes to gaming I choose to stay away from it as much as possible.

- FM

Time
Premium Member
Irvine, CA

Time

Premium Member

Good idea. :P

I've heard of people creating a "WoW" or gaming area on their resume when applying to Blizzard.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

Wow!

The computer gaming industry has become as ridiculously seductive as Hollywood. Imagine a company that has people wanting to work for it just to be associated with a popular game.
said by Gamasutra--> »www.gamasutra.com/view/n ··· cted.php :

Layoffs have apparently hit Activision studios today -- over 50 percent of the staff at Prototype creator Radical Entertainment has been let go, Guitar Hero developer Neversoft has seen an unspecified number of staff cuts, and licensed game studio Luxoflux is to close, our sources claim.

Blizzard employee's on Blizzard:

• “Blizzard, [is] the Walmart of Gaming”

• Unfair pay scale, poorly thought out execution of job descriptions, recognition is very low and the overall customer service support center doesn't feel like the real Blizzard in terms of a progressive gaming company.

• The pay is still a joke after several company wide raises. ... The company thinks simply by working for Blizzard you will want to stay because they make good games.

• The pay is far below market value for the Austin area, especially for tech support. The shifts offered are not compatible with having much of a personal or family life. Be prepared to have outside temps hired for more than you're making and promised that wage if their status changes to permanent.

• Sr Management is untrustworthy, promotions go to those who are in the "in" crowd, outside hiring of friends over promotions for internal employees is common, the pay here is too low for the cost of living in Southern California...

Sounds like Blizzard is the same as every other big company.

Blizzard employee pros and cons here:
»www.glassdoor.com/Review ··· 4858.htm

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

I heard that Rovio is hiring (Maker of Angry Birds...)

- FM

Time
Premium Member
Irvine, CA

Time to dogma

Premium Member

to dogma
Activison is a different division than Blizzard, in-fact, Blizzard Entertainment (not Activision-Blizzard) hasn't laid off a single individual.

It seems like most of those complaints are streaming from a different office than the one here in Southern California, which if I'm not mistaken, their Austin location is dedicated to customer service. I think every employer has their ups and downs, but I've heard nothing but good things about people who've worked at Blizzard. I won't lie, I'd be disgruntled if I was working in a CS position as well.

Kibbles
Premium Member
join:1999-07-31
Mission Viejo, CA

Kibbles to Time

Premium Member

to Time
Tell them you were shopping in RSM and talked to Bryan Gibson-Winge
Senior Software Engineer at Blizzard Entertainment.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

Just spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Kinecta Federal Credit union H.R. in Manhattan Beach. They found me directly on monster.com. I'm going in for a 9am interview tomorrow...

- FM

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
join:2007-09-18
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

fingers crossed

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

They have a drawn out process.

If I do well tomorrow with the Hiring Manager and the other developers, they'll set up another interview where I meet the director.

If that meeting goes well, they'll do their intensive background check and send me to go take a pee in a cup.

So if everything goes well it'll still be around 3 weeks before I would start.

- FM

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

Where is the job located? What else do you have in the works?

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

1 edit

FutureMon

The position is in Manhattan Beach. About a 20 mile commute. Apparently they have 3 positions open - all the same - Programmer/Analyst III

I mentioned to H.R. That my credit was pretty messy at the moment - because I wanted to make sure they knew in advance that when they pull my credit report what it's gonna look like to them...but as for the rest of the background check and the drug testing I'd be fine. They said it's typical these days and not to worry about it - they'll review it when they get it and go from there. (I was essentially trying to save myself the time of going over there if they were sticklers on that particular area of the background check)

I've been submitted for a position at ACSC in Irvine - waiting to hear back from the agency but it will probably be next week before I get an interview. This was a referral from my current employer.

I'm waiting to hear back from an agency on a position in Monrovia. This was a referral from my current employer.

I'm waiting to hear back from a direct submission I made on a position in Anaheim on Friday night.

- FM

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

I was up for a position in monrovia. I can not remember the place right now. Took forever for the agent to get off her ass to get some follow up. I thought I would like it, though. good luck.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

Well I actually ended up meeting with the Director this morning.

Due to the rain I left my house early at 7:30am - and ended up still getting there at 8am - so I sat at McDonalds for about 30 minutes then drove to the parking lot of the place and waited another half hour before I went in.

It went well; he got me to stumble on one of his last questions; and right out of the gate he told me he didn't like people who had done a lot of contract work, but I think overall I did well and will make it to the 2nd round - where I will meet some developers and the technology lead.

His observations regarding contractors are that they are too "demanding" when it comes to things they need or want to get the job done.

I explained to him about how at one of my clients, they needed a formal QA setting and didn't have anything, so I took it upon myself to get permission to expand my cubicle area, scrounged up about 8 old PC's that were no longer in use, a network switch, imaged the PC's with the various OS's (Win 3.1/Win 95/XP/2000) and built a lab so proper testing could be done. It was all about taking the initiative to solve the problem without costing them any money or whining about having to do it in the first place.

- FM

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

suckup...
sounds like it went well. good luck.

lt_wentoncha
Red6
join:2002-05-12

lt_wentoncha to FutureMon

to FutureMon
Good luck mang, esp in the New Year

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon to TheRul

to TheRul
I haven't heard anything back from Kinecta. Assuming I didn't make the cut.

Had another meeting with an agency about a permanent gig at Transamerica in Downtown LA. The "environment" is one of those where they are looking for someone with a certain kind of people skills, if you know what I mean. I met with the agents and they said I'd be a good fit for the position.

However, I told them I was a bit light on the C# and ASP.NET; they had me take some on-line tests in which I scored in the 30-40% range (which proved what I told them). Even after that though, their HR department, knowing that I scored low, still wants to meet me in person...

I suppose because it's a permanent position, people skills are more important than the technical skills they want...so I'm waiting for the agency to set up an interview.

- FM

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

said by FutureMon:

I suppose because it's a permanent position, people skills are more important than the technical skills they want...so I'm waiting for the agency to set up an interview.
- FM

Because it's a permanent position, the agencies commission is much higher?

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

That too - but the HR Department of the company said they still wanted to see me even after doing poorly on the tests...

I also spoke with a consultant who already works there (but in a different department) and he drilled me on a few questions - and after speaking with him I was all but ready to tell the agency to just forget about it. I'd rather not waste their time and make the agency look bad for submitting me in the first place; but he told me not to wave the white flag just yet because I have the aptitude to pick up what I need. All I have to do is get past the architects interview questions.

- FM
FutureMon

FutureMon to TheRul

to TheRul
Sr. Manager @ Mercury just called me. They asked if I had found anything yet (nope) and said they might have a spot for me to come back...waiting to hear back from them later today.

- FM

Waldothe3rd
Premium Member
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand

Waldothe3rd

Premium Member

Not sure where your expertise lies, but TicketMaster/LiveNation was @ the SoCal Linux Expo recruiting this weekend. Might check there...

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

LOL!! I just got the call back from Mercury. I start March 14th and it's coming with a $7/hr raise from what I was getting before...

- FM

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

Ah - Fricking - mazing!

So the relationship was bigger than the both of you huh?

...now when you get back I need you to program the system to lower my rates!

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

YEA! Glad to hear it.
Was it from Merc or RCM??

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon to dogma

to dogma
said by dogma:

Ah - Fricking - mazing!

So the relationship was bigger than the both of you huh?

...now when you get back I need you to program the system to lower my rates!

Yeah isn't it. This will be my 3rd stint there. This time I'm going to make sure she knows up front that I want to be converted to a full time employee the first opportunity they have.

And if it doesn't work out, I can at least fudge my resume and make the last 2 months of unemployment look like I was at Mercury the entire time...

- FM
FutureMon

FutureMon

Funny story. They called me yesterday and said that they were sorry, but the budget didn't get approved so the position is gone.

After I told 3 other potential interviews that I had accepted an offer and stopped actively looking for a week.

- FM