uniqs
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to kpfx

to kpfx

Re: UBP can be fair

said by kpfx:

Agreed. It can be fair and I would actually welcome it if done properly. We do pay for gas, electricity, water, and all our other utilities based on our usage. Plus under a UBP model we wouldn't have to mess with "lite" "basic" "standard" "turbo" "extreme" speed tiers.... everything could just run at full throttle and the ISPs could compete on cost-per-gig.

Sadly these companies haven't given the public much confidence because the "experiments" they've run don't pass the financial smell test (I'm looking at you Time Warner).

But if I paid $10 for a "connection" and something like $0.10 per GB then that would actually put me close to what I already pay for. Even if I decide to take the plunge and become a cord cutter and do nothing but Netflix streaming, I'd still come out ahead in savings and the ISP would still get their fair share for my increased usage.

And heck, if I was buying all my video separately directly from the source (i.e. Netflix/Hulu/ESPN3/etc)... then Comcast or Time Warner would come out smelling like roses by no longer being involved in the nasty carriage-disputes we've been seeing lately.

That doesn't make sense. Bits aren't a limited commodity. They're infinite.

kpfx
join:2005-10-28
San Antonio, TX

2 recommendations

kpfx

said by sonicmerlin:

Do you have a hard-drive that holds an infinite amount of data? Does your network card transport data at Infinity/Bps?

Bits themselves may be infinite but the infrastructure that stores and transports them is finite. I may be able to create a quadrillion bits of data but if I want to move it from point-A to point-B there's going to be some kind of cost for infrastructure, storage, hardware, electricity, etc...

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by kpfx:

said by sonicmerlin:

Do you have a hard-drive that holds an infinite amount of data? Does your network card transport data at Infinity/Bps?

Bits themselves may be infinite but the infrastructure that stores and transports them is finite. I may be able to create a quadrillion bits of data but if I want to move it from point-A to point-B there's going to be some kind of cost for infrastructure, storage, hardware, electricity, etc...

and thats why you have a BASE fee.. i.e.

Electric Rates

Electric Purchased Power Adjustment 0.0118 per kWh for Residential and Commercial

Residential
Minimum Monthly Charge $9.00
For billing during the months of June through September inclusive.
First 650 kWh.............$0.0660 per kWh
Additional kWh.............$0.0860 per kWh
For billing during the months of October through May inclusive.
First 650 kWh .............$0.0660 per kWh
Additional kWh .............$0.0600 per kWh
State sales tax shall be applied to electric charges.

i know this is power and not internet. but the point is theres a base fee that in this case includes 650kWh so for ISP's a "network access fee" of $10 gets you on the internet with a few GB's included.