dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

[request] Mods names listed up top

Is it just me, or does anyone else miss seeing the names of the mods up top without having to click on the "mods" button? I can understand desiring the avatars not showing (though I personally liked that and a forum avatar also *shrugs*), however just to have the names show IMO would be better for new people/those that can't remember the mods of each forum.... rather then a button they have to find and click saying "mods".
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Re: Mods names listed up top

Until I read your posted, I had not noticed that the names were gone.

So I guess you can put me down as not missing them (or as missing that they were missing).
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.3; firefox 3.6.12

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z
kudos:6
reply to dandelion

I miss the avatars of the Hosts at the top of the forums.

I think the system worked better that way. You could see who to contact. And if you wanted to you just clicked the avatar and there was their profile with the IM box. Now this new setup takes two clicks. Click the "mods" pop up and click again to select the Host you want to get to their profile.

--
Here's To You

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
reply to dandelion
I would be happy to even see them on each thread view.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dandelion
I like the new method and that it can display multiple mods (not that the old way couldn't allow that--plenty of space on the header). The 'mods' link could be more "visible" though (maybe make it a button?). The old way was fine, too (though seeing the avatars doesn't really do anything for me). So, I have a slight preference for the present method but wouldn't really object to returning to the old method.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
I kind of like the way it is since the forum talk is the main thing, not the moderators. I do agree the 'mods' link could be a bit more visible.
--
I don't have a problem!

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
If you want them more aloof ...
Mods are people too

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fatness
Like a typical button:

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion
I can make it the button, as suggested.
That would be more obvious.
I'm honestly not trying to de-emphasize that there are mods. However (I think) the forums are easier to use with consistent sized forum logos and reduced chrome in the forum description headers and no avatars in the forum headers helps.

I'd be open to listing the forum mod usernames in a vertical column, but I think the text might be a bit too small and annoying.

The other possibility is when someone clicks "hey mods" on a post in a forum, the mods are all displayed. Avatars and all if necessary.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
said by justin:

However (I think) the forums are easier to use with consistent sized forum logos and reduced chrome in the forum description headers

--
I don't have a problem!

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

1 recommendation

said by fatness:

said by justin:

However (I think) the forums are easier to use with consistent sized forum logos and reduced chrome in the forum description headers

Suck up.

I like it either way, doesn't much matter to me as long as there's an easy way to contact the appropriate mod of a forum.
--
The Alien in the White House

16,469 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
You have to admit, some of the forum headers used to be obnoxiously large. Smaller's better in that case. I do agree that mods need to be easy to identify and contact.
--
I don't have a problem!

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dandelion
Just a 2cent opinion here .... I like the names showing of the mods without having to click, run my mouse over etc. If can't be done in the forum size would it be possible to put the "about" on the forum name where when clicked it would go to the "about" page and this would leave more room for the mod names? If impossible, maybe "hosts" might be a better name then "mods"? I don't see that a button would help super much but maybe someone else has a better idea also.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to justin
Would it be possible to show the mods when hovering over the button/link rather than having to click it for them to show?

I happen like the smaller logos and the changes you've made in the forum headers and forum descriptions.
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to GlennAllen
You could use smaller [or constrained] images instead of the avatars [shown here]--with or without the "mods:" text (to look something like it used to)--to take up less space:

Hover to get the name, click to go to the mod's page (for IM etc.). (Personally, I'm fine with the extra click of the new method to go to a mod's page; knowing/seeing who the mod of a forum is doesn't alter any posting choice for me so having that in a pop-up is just as good as seeing it in the header. Maybe leaving the choice to each forum's mod(s) would be acceptable/workable?)

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to fatness
said by fatness:

said by justin:

To me, the forums are more difficult to use now. They are unfriendly looking also. STARK and PLAIN and UGLY. They no longer invite people to use them as they did before. They now have a foreboding look/aura. I suppose for someone who has never been here before that they would be comfortable with the stark blah Walmart generic look, but I really miss the way they were before when each one had some specific character. To me, the new way just makes this site more like most forum sites and that is not conducive to attracting more members. Might as well post at other forum sites if they all resemble each other now. It was partly the UNIQUENESS that made this site the success it has been and now there is a move to remove much of that.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

1 recommendation

For me the uniqueness here has always come from things people post. People differ I guess.

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Mele20
It looks pretty much the same to me--some different fonts/colors here and there, less wasted space for non-content elements, and if you use a site theme (which I do) then every forum looks pretty much the same anyway (instead getting the individual forum themes--which I almost never saw [some of which are/were really ugly]). There are some things I would prefer not to have lost (and which may be reinstated--hopefully), but on the whole I think it looks better. Instead of "stark and plain" I'd describe it more as "elegant"; it doesn't look any less inviting to me (though, of course, I've customized it more than a little with my own CSS). And the forum content is pretty much as it's always been, which is what counts most.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to dandelion
I noticed they were missing and would prefer it the way it was.

--
Folding@Home Team Helix status

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to dandelion
I like the old look as well. Bring em back!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
reply to dandelion
I also like the old look with the avatars showing. I noticed the new setup right away, and didn't like it that much.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion
I liked it better with the mods' avatars up top. I thought it gave each forum it's own 'personal' feel to it ....

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

2 recommendations

reply to FastEddie
said by FastEddie:

I miss the avatars of the Hosts at the top of the forums.

That's only because you have to think up a new April Fool's prank.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to FastEddie
quote:
I think the system worked better that way.
Well you are staff Eddie,post a message on the mod base about this!! (Justin is more apt to listen to you than any of us)

dandelion
Premium,MVM
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to dandelion
I don't think the last few posts have anything to do with my original request and detract from what I was attempting to convey. May I suggest if there is additional ideas/requests to make another thread? Thanks!

edited to add:
(this was posted before the last few posts were removed, thanks fatness See Profile!)

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

1 recommendation

reply to dandelion

(topic move) Mods names listed up top

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 5 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[request] OT