uniqs

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Cableone leasing DOCSIS 3.0 modems now? And more questions..

Check out the new list:

»help.cableone.net/HSD/Mo ··· ied.aspx

Does anyone know if they're leasing DOCSIS 3 modems yet? I'm downgrading my service (Removing VoIP) so I assume CableOne will come by and switch out the Arris telephony modem with a Motorola SB5101 or one of the newer Surfboard modems, right? Or will I have to find transportation to get to the office and switch them out there?

The voice modem lease is $6 per month. Does the Motorola modem lease cost the same? I know it's better to just buy a modem, but my immediate funds say "no" for the time being.

bksmith5
Tagging along
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Charlotte, NC

bksmith5

Premium Member

My guess would be that they're still handing out DOCSIS 2.0 modems such as the SB5101. I went ahead and bought the Motorola SB6120 when I signed back on with Cable One since I'm not a believer in renting modems from the ISP.

I'd suggest calling your local Cable One office to ask if they have DOCSIS 3.0 modems for rent. If they do, you might need to drive to that office to get them since I bet the trucks only have older equipment on board.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

I'm willing to bet that too as far as the SURFBoards go, but when they installed the Arris modem is was brand new in the box. A plain box, but everything was still sealed up in plastic, etc. Doubt it was refurbished.

I do know that when I first got CableOne internet here, the technician had to go through about 2-3 modems to find a Surfboard that worked.

bksmith5
Tagging along
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

bksmith5

Premium Member

Good luck, regardless!

So if you cancelled VOIP service with Cable One, did you move to another VOIP provider? Also - what prompted your decision to switch in the first place?

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

I moved to Vonage. They're in the process of transferring the number over and the voice adapter should arrive within a week or so.

I did this because $50 per month seems like an awful lot for unlimited long distance in the U.S. and Canada, whereas with Vonage I can get unlimited calling in the U.S., Canada, and many other countries, for a lower price. My bill every month so far has been $116 or so with 10 mbit internet and unlimited long distance. It's just way too high for what I'm getting.

I may also invest in an APC unit to keep the modem, router, and vonage online in the event of an outage.

bksmith5
Tagging along
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

bksmith5

Premium Member

Good deal. You'll probably like Vonage a lot. I've just left them after 6 years because I found Ooma. Vonage's service offerings aren't bad. They have a habit of raising prices without increasing service offerings, though. That's why I've chosen to leave. My #1 request for them was to have a blacklist/call block. They only offer and will only ever offer "Anonymous Call Block" which isn't good enough, IMO.

So I paid $200 for the Ooma Telo, $120 for 1 year of their Premier service and am porting 1 of my 2 Vonage numbers to Ooma. They also have a nominal $3.67/month taxes/fees charge that I pay on a monthly basis.

Total cost: 200 (Telo) + 120 (Premier service) + 44.04 (taxes/fees) = $364.04. Divide that into 12 months = $30.34/month. I was paying $60 for 1 voice, 1 fax and 1 "virtual" number, plus taxes with Vonage. The second year's costs will be:

120 (Premier service) + 44.04 (taxes/fees) = $164.04. On a monthly basis that will break down to $13.67

Within 2 years, I will have more than recovered the initial investment costs.

NOTE: I am not trying to "sell" you on this -- just sharing my logic that led me to this move. I do not hate Vonage and wish them well.