Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Reviews:
·Charter

Are they blocking Text Messages from my IP?

I maintain a paging system for a small fire department. Recently it became apparent that several AT&T subscribers, including me, are not receiving text messages sent as e-mails. We have been sending the messages in the same manner for about 5 years, via @txt.att.net. Our Verizon users receive them as normal when sent via the same SMTP server as the At&T subscribers. During my trouble shooting it became apparent that the messages were only NOT being delivered FROM a specific IP address. As usual if it is not a simple fix the CSRs do nothing and need to escalate to the next level. Most of the time I find that the level 1 tech support only can tell you how to remove the battery and reboot your phone none the less know what a SNPP or SMTP server is. Anyway, I digress... Has anyone else had any problems sending messages to your AT&T devices via the @txt.att.net address? After I demanded the next level of support, the tech I spoke with told me that there is a "known problem" and they are working on it. If there is a "problem" why is it only a problem for one IP address. Your assistance would be helpful.

Thanks
Jeff

tman852

join:2010-07-06
kudos:1

I just sent a message from my Yahoo mail to my phone through the above method and I got the message in less than five seconds. Went through just fine. Just did the 10 digit phone number with the @txt.att.net

jp16

united state
Reviews:
·Charter

That just it... I have a duplicate system, the only diffrence is the ISP is diffrent, thus a diffrent IP address. When I use the exact same setup on the one ISP the message goes.

When sending from the main system, messages do not go through to the AT&T users, Verizon users get the message so the messages are being sent. We use Inforad software which sends them via a gmail SMTP account. This has worked for many years without a problem, until now.

When I log into gmail and use the web based interface to send the message it goes no problem, again diffrent sending IP address because its via the web interface. This is why I feel that AT&T is blocking our main IP address. However level 1 tech support denies they block anything but I have found many other posts on other forums about whitelisting IP's via level 2 or 3 tech support, which is difficult to get to.

tman852

join:2010-07-06
kudos:1
reply to jp16

I forget which port it is but I very highly doubt they would block the ports for SMTP even through the text address form for the phones.... maybe they blacklisted the gmail account sending out the mass texts mistaking it for spam? I'm not sure really, have you tried sending those At&t numbers texts through a different Gmail or yahoo mail account?
--
Core i7 920 @ 3.2ghz | OCZ Obsidian 6GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM | EVGA X58 tri SLI-LE mobo | 2X EVGA 1GB GTX460 Video Cards | Antec 750w PSU | WD Black 1TB HDD | Antec 1200 Case | G15 keyboard | G9x mouse | G35 Headset | Asus 23" LED-LCD Monitor

jp16

united state
Reviews:
·Charter

I can send from another network via the same gmail SMTP gateway and account without a problem. When I send from the suspect network with the questionable IP, the messages do not go to the mobile device. According to gmail the messages get sent and do not bounce.