spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

Coaxout vs hdmi

So this cable box can do hdmi and coax out, and component and stuff.

If I just use coax out, can I get HD out? Or do I need to use HDMI? This is a moto box

THX

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Coax is SD only.

Component / HDMI are your only "HD" sources.

voipnpots2
join:2010-11-15
U.S.

voipnpots2

I find it interesting how coax can supply an HD signal, but can't display it...

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

One issue is that you need the proper chips and stuff to output a compatible QAM or ATSC digital signal. That can be expensive.

But the PRIMARY reason is that the media companies would sue their ass if they did that. Ideally, they would require ALL HD to be encrypted (requiring HDCP over HDMI or DVI).
chewch99
join:2008-04-20
united state

chewch99 to voipnpots2

to voipnpots2
HD is possible through Coax, but only through analog, hence why only the local channels can be viewed in HD without a box, Comcast still broadcasts locals in Analog.

Also the whole reason HDMI was invented and adopted was because electronic manufactures made deals with network/studios to try and stem copyright infringement. HDMI usually has security in place making it much harder to watch anything that wasn't "official" or a legit copy or viewing of something you didn't personally buy or subscribe to.

The only difference between HDMI and Component in regards to Comcast would be with HDMI your tv will upscale Standard Def TV channels up to 1080i. With component cables the SD channels will only upscale to a max of 480p. The HD channels will be the same with component or HDMI either 1080i or 720p because at this time Comcast doesn't support 1080p.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

I upscaled my sd channels with component to 1080i on all the hd boxes i had with comcast. its in the menu when you shut off the box.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to chewch99

Premium Member

to chewch99
said by chewch99:

HD is possible through Coax, but only through analog, hence why only the local channels can be viewed in HD without a box, Comcast still broadcasts locals in Analog.

Comcast does not broadcast HD analog anywhere, at any time. Comcast has not one time, not in one system, broadcast a 720+ 16x9 video without it being within an MPEG.ts container over it's HFC to residences.

The RF Out output on STB's and DVR's is for compatibility for very old TV's, thus it is 480i 60hz mono output. There is no reason to output QAM MPEG (digital video) from the box, this is what splitters are for.
said by chewch99:

Also the whole reason HDMI was invented and adopted was because electronic manufactures made deals with network/studios to try and stem copyright infringement. HDMI usually has security in place making it much harder to watch anything that wasn't "official" or a legit copy or viewing of something you didn't personally buy or subscribe to.

Believe it or not, HDMI was developed to add sound to DVI while utilizing a smaller connector with lessons learned through the advent of USB.

DVI-HDCP (thank you Intel) predates HDMI. HDMI was not solely for content protection, for the content protection used predates it (the chicken came WAY before the egg, birth certificates, witness, and other proof is undeniably in existence).
said by chewch99:

The only difference between HDMI and Component in regards to Comcast would be with HDMI your tv will upscale Standard Def TV channels up to 1080i. With component cables the SD channels will only upscale to a max of 480p.

I don't understand. Both my DCH Moto DVR and STB output 1080i and 720P when I set "4:3 override" to "OFF" or "STRETCH". Setting the 4:3 override to either of these will upscale the 480 vertical lines to the number of lines placed under the "HDMI/YPbPr Output" setting. 1080i here will upscale to 1080i and output both the HDMI/DVI port and component port simultaneously. 720p here will upscale to 720p and output both the HDMI/DVI port and component port simultaneously. The difference between "OFF" and "STRETCH" is that "OFF" will be pillarboxed and unmolested, while "STRETCH" will obviously, be stretched. Personally, I don't like either of these and use 480P and allow my TV to upscale and fill the screen with more advanced algorithms. My newer "bedroom" TV is much cheaper, and I use the "OFF" over component just fine (although cheap, it thankfully allows me to "stretch" 1080 input, so I can get rid of the pillarboxes... but sending 480 anything to this TV was horrid, nasty scalars... really nasty.)