Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to davidu

Premium Member

to davidu

Re: Funny coming from a site who's business based on blacklists

said by davidu:

It's entirely different. You can override all our categories, and most of our categorization is community-sourced. It's not even remotely similar.

Yes. I read your blog entry. And you go to great pains to explain the differences between OpenDNS and COICA as regards block lists. But it is still in your best financial interests if COICA is not passed. And most times at BBR that conflict of interest is mentioned. Just thought it should be mentioned now as well, since conflicts of interest weigh on evaluating the arguments of a commenter on a subject.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

said by FFH5 See Profile
Yes. I read your blog entry. And you go to great pains to explain the differences between OpenDNS and COICA as regards block lists. But it is still in your best financial interests if COICA is not passed. And most times at BBR that conflict of interest is mentioned. Just thought it should be mentioned now as well, since conflicts of interest weigh on evaluating the arguments of a commenter on a subject.
[/BQUOTE :

How on earth is it to his advantage if COICA isn't passed? This still has NOTHING to do with what OpenDNS filters. If COICA is passed this will not in any way effect OpenDNS's business as the ONLY thing COICA is for is government control unmonitored of being able to block torrent sites. So there's absolutely no conflict of interest.

Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

Phatty to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by davidu:

It's entirely different. You can override all our categories, and most of our categorization is community-sourced. It's not even remotely similar.

OpenDNS optional services have no relation to a government blocklist. Anyone taking advantage of OpenDNS category blocks would still want to take advantage of those blocks even if the US Government has their own lists. About the only way I can see a government block list hurting OpenDNS would be if people started moving to non US based DNS providers in hopes of getting around the blocks.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

said by Phatty:

About the only way I can see a government block list hurting OpenDNS would be if people started moving to non US based DNS providers in hopes of getting around the blocks.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. That is exactly what David is afraid of. Remember OpenDNS is also used around the world. I am sure international users wouldn't appreciate being subject to our censorship and would also change DNS servers.
Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

Phatty

said by Selenia:

said by Phatty:

About the only way I can see a government block list hurting OpenDNS would be if people started moving to non US based DNS providers in hopes of getting around the blocks.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. That is exactly what David is afraid of. Remember OpenDNS is also used around the world. I am sure international users wouldn't appreciate being subject to our censorship and would also change DNS servers.

It may put a dent in their growth, but I still don't think it would have a major affect on their services. Why? Because most people, and all businesses & schools would choose to follow the law. I think only the advanced users would take the time and effort to go around government block lists.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Internationally, your statement would not apply. Who is to say Uncle Sam is only going to block illegal content? Wikileaks has a completely legal site. It wasn't legal for someone to leak the info to them, but that still isn't supposed to affect freedom of the press. The government took the easy way out because they can't find/plug their own leaks.