Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to Matt3

Re: Major news

said by Matt3:

I think WiMAX (Clear) is going to go the way of iDen too.

My guess... Sprint will convert CDMA/iDEN to LTE but Clear will stick with WiMAX as long as they are in business. We as consumers should want WiMAX to succeed and it is not tightly controlled by the telcom industry as LTE is. WiMAX has a much better chance of global roaming than LTE does. WiMAX is mostly on 3 bands, LTE will be on over a dozen.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
said by xenophon:

said by Matt3:

I think WiMAX (Clear) is going to go the way of iDen too.

My guess... Sprint will convert CDMA/iDEN to LTE but Clear will stick with WiMAX as long as they are in business. We as consumers should want WiMAX to succeed and it is not tightly controlled by the telcom industry as LTE is. WiMAX has a much better chance of global roaming than LTE does. WiMAX is mostly on 3 bands, LTE will be on over a dozen.

My only real gripe with WiMAX, is that on the 2.5GHz band as it stands now, it is useless indoors.

xenophon

said by Matt3:

My only real gripe with WiMAX, is that on the 2.5GHz band as it stands now, it is useless indoors.

2.5Ghz does work indoors, just needs to be the appropriate tuning/implementation, which will take a while to hash out.

700mhz will penetrate indoors better but will have more interference than 2.5ghz if too much power, so they may have to lower power, reducing penetration, just as it did when cell phones were first rolled out.

Both have their issues that require different types of engineering to implement properly. It will take a year or 3 to get things tuned well for both implementations.

To say 2.5ghz is useless indoors is an uninformed statement. I get 5 bars signal at home indoors and enough signal in elevator.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
said by xenophon:

To say 2.5ghz is useless indoors is an uninformed statement. I get 5 bars signal at home indoors and enough signal in elevator.

You must be sitting on top of the antenna. I have two WiMAX devices which don't get a signal at all unless I have an external antenna attached to one. And in both locations I'm supposed to have indoor coverage according to their map. Outside at one location I only get two bars and at the other, it comes and goes.

This is a very common complaint with WiMAX and mobile devices.

I'm sure they can hash it out, but the question is, will they have time? I don't care what the technology is, I just care if it serves my need and actually works.

xenophon

It's about a half mile away. I do agree they have to tune it right but to say it doesn't at all work indoors is an incorrect statement.

Like early cell coverage, it will take a while to hash out filling in the gaps. Clear's issue is that they don't have enough capital to fill in the gaps while also rolling out new coverage. That's a logistical issue with properly rolling out 2.5Ghz, not an issue with 2.5Ghz itself.

It will take a while for 700mhz operators to tune properly as well, as it has much more significant interference issues unless in rural areas. You might get the penetration but if not tuned right, interference will cause performance to suck if even usable. 2.5Ghz needs more sites or more power. 700mhz can't do too much power so might need more sites and has to be carefully tuned with other sites nearby - not as much of a challenge in rural area but in metros, will be.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised

join:2000-09-13
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Matt3
In order to fix the indoor coverage problem, you need more towers. In order get more towers, you need more money which they don't have. Clear's been bitching about Sprint's lack of funding.

2.5GHz is just a $hitty band. Face it.

I just think Sprint is better off converting Nextels 800MHz into LTE and forgetting about stupid WiMAX. If Clear wants to still offer it, so be it. Clear should target rural users using Satellite for internet.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
You have a point. 150MHz of 2.5GHz spectrum is AWESOME for fixed wireless service with an external antenna, not so hot for mobile use...

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
The other problem with towers is the I want great coverage but no tower in my back yard or that I can see.

jhgr345654

@sbcglobal.net
F that They can put one in my back yard!!!!

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to WhatNow
I don't mind cell sites perched atop buildings, or on existing towers. Between the two coverage should be just fine. Sprint has a cell site atop a building a few hundred yards away from me and as a result my phone works where other people's phones don't...and it's a Sprint phone.

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13
reply to xenophon
said by xenophon:

said by Matt3:

2.5Ghz does work indoors, just needs to be the appropriate tuning/implementation, which will take a while to hash out.

700mhz will penetrate indoors better but will have more interference than 2.5ghz if too much power, so they may have to lower power, reducing penetration, just as it did when cell phones were first rolled out.

Both have their issues that require different types of engineering to implement properly. It will take a year or 3 to get things tuned well for both implementations.

It's been how many year's in certain cities and Verizon has come and beat those cities' out on launch day in coverage where clear is so spotty.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

iLive4Fusion
Premium
join:2006-07-13
reply to xenophon
said by xenophon:

It's about a half mile away. I do agree they have to tune it right but to say it doesn't at all work indoors is an incorrect statement.

Like early cell coverage, it will take a while to hash out filling in the gaps. Clear's issue is that they don't have enough capital to fill in the gaps while also rolling out new coverage. That's a logistical issue with properly rolling out 2.5Ghz, not an issue with 2.5Ghz itself.

It will take a while for 700mhz operators to tune properly as well, as it has much more significant interference issues unless in rural areas. You might get the penetration but if not tuned right, interference will cause performance to suck if even usable. 2.5Ghz needs more sites or more power. 700mhz can't do too much power so might need more sites and has to be carefully tuned with other sites nearby - not as much of a challenge in rural area but in metros, will be.

Verizon won't really have that much of a problem because they have been in the network business for a long time and know what they are doing first hand operating the nation's largest 3G network on 850mhz, which 700mhz isn't really that much different.
--
2010 Ford Fusion Sport

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA
reply to xenophon
Half mile, that's why. Even 1.9Ghz is poor after 3-4 miles. 700Mhz is very close to already established cellular, I don't see them having problems with it. Antennas solve a lot of issues but they only have so much space up on top of a tower, which means they will go with sectoring antennas over anything else.
--

You can't make all the people happy all of the time. But it should be common sense to shoot for the majority.

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA
reply to NJBoricua75
said by NJBoricua75:

2.5GHz is just a $hitty band. Face it.

Which is why I don't get how changing 2 point anything to LTE is better. Sprint doesn't have any 700Mhz spectrum, and they don't have the major ground network to provide high speeds in much of the country.
--

You can't make all the people happy all of the time. But it should be common sense to shoot for the majority.