All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DSL_Moive
@cccco.edu

DSL_Moive

Anon

[DSL] If frontier disconect my DSL service, pay cancel fee?

I receive a letter from Frontier saying that my internet usage exceeded 100GB over a 30-day period and asking me pay $99.99 per month for upgrade to the business dsl account plan. If I don't call the Frontier customer service within 7 days, my internet service will be disconnected. I have 2 year contract with them.
If Frontier disconnect my internet service, do I need to pay early termination fee? I won't agree to pay the $99.99 per month upgrade. I use internet is for watching online movie.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

This is a rather new subject to be getting into, as you're one of the very few people we know of who have gotten letters from Frontier about going over an unstated cap. I would imagine that yes, the Early Termination Fee applies as it's considered a service disconnection (even though you did not directly cause it, so to speak).

I would see if you can talk some sense into Frontier though. Their prices are already rather high as it is for DSL compared to what speeds you get.
older dog
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09

older dog to DSL_Moive

Premium Member

to DSL_Moive
If you could supply Karl with an image of the letter I am sure he would appreciate it.
»/news

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Phil (Dampier See Profile) over at Stop the Cap! might also like to see it. He'll be sure to write something about it.
older dog
Premium Member

older dog

Premium Member

Forgot about Mr Dampier, thanks for the reminder.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to DSL_Moive

Premium Member

to DSL_Moive
Whoa!!

This isn't cool. Part of the reason I left Charter cable after 9+ years was them threatening caps, which they are just now starting to enforce.

Dang sure wouldn't pay $100 for ANY internet service, even if I had a business to run on it! My "contract" is up with them in February, may be time to start shopping again.

I know I must come close to 100GB's a month sometimes.

DSL_Moive
@cccco.edu

DSL_Moive to Smith6612

Anon

to Smith6612
In order to avoid termination fee, I did call Frontier this morning to find out. The tech from Frontier told me that the monthly usage is 5GB. I told him this not enough for looking into email and surfing the web and read news. He did not answer this question. Then I told him when I sign up for DSL, no one told me that I only limit to use 5gb. If I was told, I won't sign up. 5gb is useless for me. I surf the web for reading news and email is already 16gb per month as recorded from Frontier's usage. Then he told me if I keeps below 50gb would be safe. If I go over 100GB next time, they would actually bill me for $99.99.
raster44
join:2003-09-07
Niagara Falls, NY

1 edit

raster44 to DSL_Moive

to DSL_Moive
said by DSL_Moive :

I receive a letter from Frontier saying that my internet usage exceeded 100GB over a 30-day period. I use internet is for watching online movie.

Since 120 min internet-quality video is 1200 MB or 1.2 GB, You watch a lot of movies!

This is what I can't understand how they don't tell you the limits for downloading before you sign up and then create some arbitrary download limit when you use the service to charge you more. Customer has no rights and at mercy of the whims of the ISP. There should be laws to protect the consumer but lawmakers are in the hip pocket of Big Business.
Jedis
join:2010-08-06
Beverly Hills, CA

Jedis

The average user doesn't use anywhere near 100gb and the only possible explanation for such usage would be downloading full length dvd movies.

Even then, at 8gb for a dual layer disc, I'd say you were pressing your luck pulling 100gb in a month's time.
older dog
Premium Member

older dog

Premium Member

said by Jedis:

The average user doesn't use anywhere near 100gb and the only possible explanation for such usage would be downloading full length dvd movies.

And what is wrong with that?

The uses we each have for a broadband connection are in its infancy. To impose an unreasonably low bandwidth caps at this time can only stunt the growth of what we can do with it in the future.

And it was not 100 GB but 50 GB that Frontier suggested he stay under, a limit so low that most families could easily go over.

I can understand being somewhat annoyed at the truly abusive user who downloads nonstop while being unable to view as much as they download but 100 GB is nowhere near that amount and likely within a very short time the majority will be using this much.
JediSurfer
join:2010-06-08
united state

JediSurfer

Yes I agree. Especially if one is into online gaming as well as streaming from services like Netflix and even using Frontier's very own my fitv one could easily go over that limit. I'm a World of Warcraft player and it has been having massive download updates for the most recent expansion pack. Add onto that general web browsing and email plus the updates for Microsoft's ever increasing service packs and a person easily uses up to 100gb or more in a 30 day cycle.
Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

Action2 to DSL_Moive

to DSL_Moive
I use 90+ Gigs a month just using netflix for the occasional movie. I would say the cap is quite low, I have not had any letters from Frontier yet though.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to DSL_Moive

MVM

to DSL_Moive
Here in my home, YouTube can easily consume 60-80GB monthly every time as we force all videos to the highest available quality. That doesn't leave a heck of a lot of room for Steam, system updates or browsing.

DSL_Moive
@cccco.edu

DSL_Moive to DSL_Moive

Anon

to DSL_Moive
I will switch to COMCAST after my current contract end with Frontier. COMCAST is much faster. I chose Frontier at the first place was a mistake by not knowing they have a limit cap of 5GB per month.

Jeffy
@frontiernet.net

Jeffy to DSL_Moive

Anon

to DSL_Moive
I just received the same letter today too dated December 6, 2010. It states to contact them within 7 days of the date of the letter to review options of either trying to reduce usage or switching to a 99.99/mo plan. If they don't hear from us within 20 days, they will disconnect service. I feel as if I'm being held at gunpoint. The only reason we have them is because they're the only option besides Comcast for internet and they are the monopoly as the only phone company in my area (Elk Grove, CA, Sacramento County). Ugh! I've been using Netflix streaming for about 2 years now, and the only gaming I do is Farmville, if you wanna call that gaming. Not sure what to do..

pjhofmann
join:2000-08-22
Argyle, TX

pjhofmann to DSL_Moive

to DSL_Moive
Does Frontier have a usage meter? I'm the lucky few here in OR to be sucked in by the Verizon FIOS dump. I've been thinking about getting a Roku but with HD streaming / online gaming /etc. I'm sure I'd be at or near 100GB not so sure about that purchase anymore.

DSL_MOVIE
@frontiernet.net

DSL_MOVIE

Anon

The Frontier's meter link as following, you need to log on with your account name and password.

»www.frontier.com/FrontierUsage

I'm in ELK GROVE, CA too. I called the Frontier's customer and the representative told me the monthly usage cap is 5GB. This is not enough for surf the web and every email usage. The I communicate with Frontier ELK GROVE regional manager and she clear answer me today that 5GB cap is what they hope everyone usage. If I keep below 100GB per statement period, I will be safe after I asked her few days ago.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

That site's pretty new to me. I logged into it to check it out. They have absolutely no usage readings from my line at all. It's either not widespread enough yet or I happen to be uncapped still.

Jeffy
@myvzw.com

Jeffy to DSL_MOVIE

Anon

to DSL_MOVIE
Nice to see a fellow neighbor. I called the rep and got a tech guy on the line. He checked my usage and apparently back in Sept-Oct cycle I got up to 180gb which generated the nasty letter, but my avg has been around 50gb or less and has gone down dramatically since then. He did show me the usage meter which I've never seen before as stated here. The only major usage I do as I said earlier is netflix, though I stream through Wii or Samsung Blu Ray to my TV so not sure what the compression rates are. The movies that are HD are rarely ever HD streaming though the quality is still pretty good.
The tech guy then said they just started metering and have been getting a ton of calls regarding the letters being sent out. He then asked if I got the 100GB or the 250GB letter, as apparently the 250GB warning letters were more severe stating to pay up or get cut off.. the 100GB letter stated they'd work with you to help ease usage or recommended a business plan. They said the "work with you to help with usage" was new and just added if you call within 7 days or else get cut off after 20 days.........Comcast is looking better every day now...

DSL_movie
@frontiernet.net

DSL_movie

Anon

Yes, COMCAST is better option now if you don't have a contract with Frontier. I bring my laptop pc to my neighbor to download movie and very fast since my meter is almost reaching 100GB this period. My neighbor has COMCAST. I download a lot Chinese movies from China and watch every day.

By the way, if you have your own DSL modem, you can it to avoid your monthly modem rental fee. That's what I do. At first, Few Frontier customer told me they will charge this fee regardless I use their modem and not and told me that's their police. I did fight back with them now they credit me the charge and remove the modem fee on my statement.
Here is the step:
1. I think any DSL modem without the router function will work with fontier dsl (Not sure on this, I have test a few DSL modems they all work, but I have not test all brands yet.)
2. If you DSL modem has a router function, try to disable the router function. (I have not test modem with router yet. So not sure on this.)
3. Use only NETGEAR brand router. I have also test DLINK and TRENDNET routers but they are not work with Fronter's DSL. It can connect to internet but can not access your email.
Only NETGEAR router work without any problem.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to DSL_Moive

Premium Member

to DSL_Moive
So I hope most Frontier customers don't have too many computers with operating system updates, ipods or iphones, friends with lots of photos online, or pretty much any other basic thing that is "the internet" without even getting into those evil movies or video people might want to watch.

In any month I could eat up 75% of 5G with software related updates for just one computer... It's just stupid.

Is this supposed business that Frontier runs this dense? or is it just an intentional enforcement to push people away or pave the way for metered billing?

Someone needs to kick these fat companies in the nuts and see if they get some common sense instead of toeing the line to a bunch of dead beat investors that don't even use the services provided.

And the biggest problem is most people will just sit back and take it or make it into some political fodder or be selfish and say it doesn't affect them.

pdxpalm
@verizon.net

pdxpalm to DSL_Moive

Anon

to DSL_Moive
Any FIOS warnings yet? I have not seen one and I transfer a huge amount of VM images between here and the office.

I am on the 35mb plan with phone and tv.

DSL_movie
@frontiernet.net

DSL_movie

Anon

I just got a confirmed from my regional Frontier manager that Frontier's current enforcement police is your usage is pass the 100GB and you will get a letter. You don't get a letter if your usage is below 100GB. When you call Frontier's customer service, they might mistake tell you that their monthly usage cap is 5GB. I also called them and the customer service person told me the monthly limit is 5GB but safe is the my usage is below 50GB.
bigred1324
join:2009-07-27
Fort Wayne, IN

bigred1324 to pdxpalm

to pdxpalm
I have Fios 35/35 as well and have not received any letter about a cap. With Netflix streaming and 4 computers in the house, we can easily use over 100GB each month.

Dampier P
@rr.com

Dampier P to DSL_movie

Anon

to DSL_movie
Someone scan a copy of this letter and send me a screen shot of your usage from their "Flexnet" website (never heard of this before BTW). Also, call them back and ask them where in their terms and conditions it says there is a 5GB cap. We in fact fought to get them to remove it. They cannot enforce what is not there.

In fact, if you are on contract, I'd say they probably would have a major problem trying to enforce this anyway, especially with an ETF. If someone can send me screen shots and document scans, I'll blot out the personal info and write it up.

Frontier is the phone company that could be great, but turns out not to be very good. This kind of stuff explains why.

Send anything/everything to phil (@) stopthecap.com and we'll get the ball rolling... again.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Hey Phil! Forgot to log in I see
meowmeow
join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

meowmeow to DSL_Moive

to DSL_Moive
At least in the cell phone world, if they disconnect you, there is no ETF. I can't imagine Frontier would dare try to charge you the ETF, that would be absolutely absurd.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune to DSL_Moive

Premium Member

to DSL_Moive
100 GB may sound like a big number to some, but add 3-4 computers, Vonage, 2 heavy bandwidth users, and lack of a TV subscription.

Suddenly, that number doesn't seem big anymore.

I average 115-130 GB with my ISP (No caps!). I consider myself fortunate not having to deal with Frontier..

and 5 GB? That's probably how much I downloaded monthly with dial-up.
Filoteu
join:2004-02-12
Ohio

Filoteu to DSL_Moive

to DSL_Moive
Verizon didn't complain when I went over 100 GB. Frontier disappoints again. No cable is available here either so I guess I'm stuck with them.

pjhofmann
join:2000-08-22
Argyle, TX

pjhofmann to DSL_MOVIE

to DSL_MOVIE
Yeah, that site is probably not for FIOS customers from the old Verizon areas. I tried to login with my old Verizon/new Frontier info but no go.