All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pcasher5
join:2005-07-18
Round Lake, IL

pcasher5

NetTalk disconnects on both incomming and outgoing calls.

We have been having problems with incoming calls being dropped ie the phone would ring once or twice and the caller would be disconnected, and outgoing calls ie the call would go through and ring once or the person would answer and then we would be disconnected.

My wife is getting fed up with the situation and wants me to re-activate MagicJack. Do you think I should reactivate the old one (origional model) or just buy a new one to get the latest hardware?

Cross posting on voip forum.

bitstopjoe
join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe

I know a few people who have had some weird problems with the new Gen 4 MJ. If your old one was working fine ( mine is 2 1/2 years old and works perfectly) I would say stick with it..

Why not go on the Nettalk forum and post your problem there, they might be able to help you. Off the top of my head you could have a router problem. Here is their link: »www.nettalk.com/forum/

Joe Sica
pcasher5
Round Lake, IL

pcasher5

I have posted it on their forum and opened a "trouble ticket" with them but having experience with neglect on other tickets we are getting fed up with their recorded announcements ie before forwarding a call they announce "the number you have reached is unavailable" or if the adaptor is unplugged or the internet is lost they announce "the number you have reached has been disconnected" instead of being temporarily unavailable.

bitstopjoe
join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe

Then I understand your reasoning of wanting to go back to MJ.
I have not had ANY problems with mine and if I do not tell anyone I am on VOIP they haven't a clue I am.
HOWEVER, if MJ did start blocking numbers I call the most, I would drop them in a minute and try the NT Duo..
All I can suggest is to buy a Gen 4 MJ ( orange lable on the bottom) and see how it works. If it works well, then job well done. If it does not, return it and use your old MJ since you have already invested your $ in it.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe Sica
amigo_boy
join:2005-07-22

amigo_boy to pcasher5

to pcasher5
said by pcasher5:

I have posted it on their forum and opened a "trouble ticket" with them but ...

Is it your impression the disconnect problem is peculiar to you? Have you seen any NetTalk users describe the same experience?

I haven't. And, I don't see too much negative about NetTalk. It sounds like it could be specific to your Duo device.

Does NetTalk still allow its customers to use NetTalk's SIP credentials in a generic ATA device? If so, try a generic softphone. Or, buy an ATA device locally, and return it if it doesn't work out.

Either would be a cheap way to narrow down the source of your problem. (Also try connecting to the internet straight through your modem, no router. But, only for a few minutes, and/or using a software firewall.).
pcasher5
Round Lake, IL

pcasher5

Check their forum:

»www.nettalk.co/forum/vie ··· edbee53e
pcasher5

pcasher5 to amigo_boy

to amigo_boy
"Does NetTalk still allow its customers to use NetTalk's SIP credentials in a generic ATA device? If so, try a generic softphone. Or, buy an ATA device locally, and return it if it doesn't work out."

Queried them on the above but so far no response.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by pcasher5:

I googled and found a few responses on NetTalk's forum that they don't permit/support/provide generic SIP usage. Not sure how strongly they oppose it. You'd have to read their ToS.

I remember seeing a NetTalk forum post 1-2 years ago where people said they received SIP credentials from NetTalk. It sounds like they've stopped that. Probably a matter of being unable to control usage. The "Duo" being the proof of purchase?

I saw some pages describing how to acquire your NetTalk SIP credentials and use them with a generic ATA device or softphone. I don't advocate violating Terms of Service like that (if it is a violation). But, just to troubleshoot your problem, it probably wouldn't be a sign of ethical deficit to do it for a few calls with a generic softphone. Especially if you're not getting any help from NetTalk. (It's not like they're giving you any other options.).

Did you ever try bypassing your router? (If you have a combo router/modem, try it from a friend's house who uses different hardware? Or, from a wifi hotspot?).

It seems like it's something peculiar to you. I didn't see anyone else reporting the problem.
Nailgunner
join:2010-09-28

Nailgunner to pcasher5

to pcasher5
said by pcasher5:

"Does NetTalk still allow its customers to use NetTalk's SIP credentials in a generic ATA device? If so, try a generic softphone. Or, buy an ATA device locally, and return it if it doesn't work out."

There has been a lot of chat regarding this on magicjacksupport.com. They lost a weeks worth of chat with a recent "crash', so some of it may be gone. But there are a lot of dual users of both systems on there and it was a pretty active topic for a while.
pcasher5
Round Lake, IL

pcasher5

Oops, Now that I ordered an upgraded version of MagicJack I find that after upgrading the Netgear WNR1000's firmware all is fine. Guess we'll have a backup.
pcasher5

pcasher5

Today having problems calling 847 area code from area 727. The called phone only rings twice then the line disconnects and goes dead. This happens to both landline and cell phones. Submitted a trouble ticket.
pcasher5

pcasher5

Oops, problem is back this morning, thought it was an isolated area code calling problem but appears to be the same problem. Tried cycling power. no change.
pcasher5

pcasher5

12/10- Still not working, have dial tone but disconnects after 2 rings. Updated their trouble ticket. Still no responce.

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

Gork

I don't like hearing these stories about NetTalk - they're supposed to be my savior come April!
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by Gork:

I don't like hearing these stories about NetTalk - they're supposed to be my savior come April!

I haven't looked hard, but I don't see any reports of the problem on NetTalk's forum.

It's not good news that the OP's (alleged) ticket hasn't been responded to.

I say "alleged" because I'm skeptical of everything. It's too easy to "astroturf" on the Internet. (Although the OP's been a member here for 5 years.).

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork

True all dat. I haven't spent a lot of time reading up on the NetTalk forum (can't help but be a little skeptical) or elsewhere. I'm not sure if I'll be irrepsonsible and just jump in, or if I'll check to see how deep the water is before I dive in. I've seen a complaint here and there without doing much looking, but haven't done near enough research to feel informed.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by Gork:

I've seen a complaint here and there without doing much looking, but haven't done near enough research to feel informed.

MJ had a lot of problems 1 year after their beta period. I think NetTalk's reaching that point, even though they didn't call their first few months a beta.

My concern with NetTalk is whether they're in this for the long haul. They're traded over the counter (pink sheets). The last financials I saw didn't look very good. Something like $8k advertising, $30k capital. $20k salaries. It looked like something operating out of a basement.

They're advancing with services and features, unlike MJ (with loads of money). For all MJ's money, it's still kind of a niche product. Always-on computer. Odd, unpredictable accessibility (with entire states disappearing). PT Barnum antics.

It seems like a wash to me. You get an ATA with NetTalk. It comes with some risk. But, so does MJ. Worse, MJ's risk is self-inflicted. Not just an immature infrastructure, but Nero deciding it's time for Alaska to burn while he fiddles.

If you want credible, low-drama phone service, you probably want to spend $100 per year for a real, BYOD service. (Future Nine comes to mind.). In MJ and NetTalk's $20-$40 annual range I wouldn't expect much. Whether it's $40 or $100, you're still saving significant money compared to $350 per year for a barebones landline. It's just whether saving $60-$80 per year is worth the aggravation.

Gork
Ou812ic
Bountiful, UT

Gork

I hear you and, honestly, I don't mind some aggravation; MJ was fine for me until they started their blocking practices. If I only have to deal with the same amount of aggravation with NT as MJ makes me deal with, but with the ability to call numbers without being blocked - that's fine.

Since my last post I have been looking through the NT forums and am not very impressed with the issues brought up, nor the number of posts and lack of replies from actual company representatives. I still have a long way to go, but that's my initial impression. I'll continue to look into it before April rolls around.
pcasher5
Round Lake, IL

pcasher5

The problem is really pointing to a router problem (Netgear WRN1000) as the NetTalk works fine connected directly to the modem but not when in the DMZ of the router.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

Re: NetTalk disconnects on both incoming and outgoing calls.

said by pcasher5:

The problem is really pointing to a router problem (Netgear WRN1000) as the NetTalk works fine connected directly to the modem but not when in the DMZ of the router.

Try port forwarding UDP 5060-5070. Even though NetTalk's servers don't open the SIP connection to your client, and there should be no need to open your firewall like that, some routers have trouble with SIP. MJ users have found that treating it this way (although they only need to open port 5070) helps the router past its own problem.

Note:

1) MJ only uses port 5070 (last time I looked), not the full SIP range 5060-5070. If you want to be more precise (not needlessly open ports you don't have to), you should use WireShark to watch what NetTalk does.

2) If this works for you, it's helpful to describe it accurately when sharing the solution with others.

With MJ, an urban legend sprang up due to people saying (usually with their caps-lock key permanently stuck ON): "MJ uses ports 5060-5070 and requires your firewall to forward them."

The result was people mistakenly believing 1) those were the only ports MJ used -- when it uses other ports in a much broader range carrying non-SIP traffic. 2) MJ requires special firewall rules -- when it's just some buggy routers that do. 3) That MJ uses 5060-5069 -- when it doesn't (or, didn't last time I looked).

Help prevent that kind of misinformation/confusion from spreading by describing the problem/solution in detail.
pcasher5
Round Lake, IL

pcasher5

Tried the forwarding 5060-5070 no help. Will look for WireShark.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

Also verify your router is flashed to the latest firmware available from the manufacturer's support page. I've read that routers like Linksys which had the buggy SIP handling fixed it with a firmware upgrade.
pcasher5
Round Lake, IL

pcasher5

Did try both old and new fw. Found wireshark looks like I have to study it. Really should one have to do this?
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by pcasher5:

Really should one have to do this?

If nothing's changed with your router (did you forget to disclose something to us?), it sounds like MJ worked for you (and still does) and NetTalk worked in the past, but something changed with them, producing a router bug that NetTalk didn't produce in the past? And, MJ never did, and still doesn't?

If that's true, it sounds like something NetTalk should understand and research.

You're right, you shouldn't have to wade through Wireshark traces. You could spend $70-$100 a year for a more mature, reliable VoIP service. That's the problem with MJ (and apparently NetTalk). You might have to work for the $60 savings.
pcasher5
Round Lake, IL

pcasher5

Re: NetTalk disconnects on both incomming and outgoing calls.

I'm retired and on a fixed income, the only way I can maintain my current standard of living is to continually cut costs. They say the cost of living is not increasing but I don't think they count food and fuel. Perhaps the router developed a hardware issue but I've taken precautions, such as having it on a UPS, to try and prevent failures due to power problems.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by pcasher5:

They say the cost of living is not increasing but I don't think they count food and fuel. Perhaps the router developed a hardware issue but I've taken precautions, such as having it on a UPS, to try and prevent failures due to power problems.

I thought we were going to learn you introduced a new router when the problem started. Strange that it started for no apparent reason. You can use wireshark with/without the router and examine the difference in traffic. Close your browser and all other applications that might generate traffic. That will make it easier to look at. (You may need to close them minutes before using wireshark because the "keepalive" sessions can continue generating traffic.).

I don't know what good that will do. You could tell NetTalk what's happening. Or, the router vendor.

You could also try flashing your router with Tomato or DD-WRT. They're better firmware, with better QoS capabilities. But, more complicated and a risk of destroying your router when you flash (especially with DD-WRT).

It seems to me that you should be able to identify all of NetTalk's traffic and use port forwarding to effectively remove the firewall for NetTalk only. But, if they use a huge range of UDP ports for RTP (voice) traffic, that would be like taking down your entire firewall.
pcasher5
Round Lake, IL

pcasher5

Amigo, I appreciate your zeal and enthusiasm but the effort really isn't worthy to be put on a refurbished router. I always liked Netgear products but after this I think it's time to move on. NetTalk seems to agree and with no recourse as far as support goes (Netgear deletes serial # on refurbished products) and no help from their forum I concur.
pcasher5

pcasher5

Tried a friends Linksys WRT54G2 seems to work but has some security issues (I can see why he's not using it), he said I could keep it as long as I want but because of my passion for Netgear products I see on the "routers that work" list (NetTalk Forum) a Netgear RangeMax WPN824.v2 that's listed so I think I'll persue that. May take a while (low finances what with the holidays, economy, and all) as long as the Linksys works, and we have the MagicJack for backup not to mention that it (MJ) works great with G-Voice.
pcasher5

1 edit

pcasher5

Really need to get NetTalk working with Google Voice so we don't have to have one of our Laptops powered on 24/7.