Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA

Netflix "bundled" with ISP Broadband plan?

I wonder how long it will be before Netflix becomes part of a "bundled package" offered by ISP's.

The ISP can charge extra to allow unmetered Netflix streaming, and Netflix gets their (smaller) cut from the ISP as opposed to charging the consumer directly.

It could even be a package linked to the ISP's TV package as opposed to linking it to the internet access.

Much like you'd pay $9.99/month for showtime.

- FM
--
This just in from the department of redundancy department...

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
thats what i said above basically.....and would allow NF to connect direct to the ISP and not worry about CDN.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to FutureMon
I could see Cable and Sat companies wanted to do this with their settop boxes and add to or possibly replace their expensive VOD installations.

If they could add Netflix to their settops and have their subscribers just stream Netflix through the settop, they could eliminate a lot of overhead.

Netflix should be trying to sell something like this hard if they aren't already. I'd suspect that they are looking for deals like this.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
Sat doesn't have a very good way to do this. The end user would have to have their STB on HSI. So there is still a middle man with that. if they did it with an MSO it would turn out better. Or even a DSL ISP. I could see an MSO or Indie ISP wanting to partner.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
I believe directv is already doing on demand via hsi.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to FutureMon
said by FutureMon:

The ISP can charge extra to allow unmetered Netflix streaming, and Netflix gets their (smaller) cut from the ISP as opposed to charging the consumer directly.

Thank you Disney for your ESPN 360 extortion. Now we have people wanting similar types of deals for other services.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to fifty nine
yes it is but you have to buffer the movies according to them. they download and then play. which is a waste when you can just do this.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to openbox9
WTF! Disney is NOT requiring ISPs to carry ESPN360. It's only an option. If they don't wanna carry it they don't have to. Nothing lost. That portal is NOT bundled with any TV offerings that they normally would require. claiming it's extortion is a flat out lie. They're not extorting anything.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
reply to skuv
I suppose you mean Netflix should partner with a satellite broadband provider (since the high[er] latency should be mostly irrelevant)... yeah, works in theory (but what's the max # of users that could be streaming [HD] concurrently?).

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to hottboiinnc
Sorry, I meant ESPN3.