share rss forum feed

JfromC
Problem

join:2010-10-30
Cobourg, ON
kudos:1

1 edit

This is why Net Neutrality is CRUCIAL!

This is why Net Neutrality is CRUCIAL! ISPs should have no right in dictating what I use my paid for bandwidth allotment for be it NetFlix or... I dunno lesbian bondage.

ISPs also need to come to the table with a little more realistic numbers for what an average user is going to be now that there are so many sources of data on the net; from Youtube, to downloading multi-gigabyte games on Steam.

Sure there is a place for the 10gb plans, for Nana and Papa to get email and pictures from their family etc. There should be very high business rate plans for very heavy users. But these days 60gb a month (what Cogeco gives the Standard Package) is not enough for an "Average User" who is going to download Streamed Media. Who is going to download Multi-Gigabyte games from Steam. Who wants to send their family a home movie they made in Movie Maker or iMovie.. etc. etc. etc.

It feels like a day of reckoning is coming, and it's going to be the lobbyists and large ISPs that win the battle.. The only way to win is to tell these huge corporations to stuff their internet connectivity where the sun don't shine, but where does that leave us? Without *any* internet which kind of defeats the purpose of fighting for Neutrality and reasonable Rates and Caps in the first place...

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
no such problem. Net Neutrality is a cry from what was the king of all- Google. And now the only one bitching about it is Free Press (like they always do) and Level3,

When NN becomes an issue then we can talk about it even being a such thing until then; meh, and move on.

regmanabq

join:2006-10-18
Albuquerque, NM
reply to JfromC
Exactly, they provide the road, who is to say what I use it for?

This is like if the phone companies owned the airwaves when cell phones came about. The trouble is that the cable companies whose entire business model is built on TV is now in many places the sole provider of internet access.

Until that changes, which I really don't see how it can, we may be doomed to get our TV via over priced forced down our throats 200+ channel plans. That will really make me sad since I enjoy the freedom to just buy netflix and watch the shows I wish without the 100usd bill per month to pay for shows I will never watch.

Then again, I just discovered today that for Qwest, my provider, 12mbs service is finally available for us loyal customers, at $20 a month higher cost than for new subscribers who also get their first six months at 30 bucks. So much for encouraging customer loyalty.