join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

May Get HIS- Couple of Questions

I am thinking of switching from DSL to Comcast HIS. Are the Comcast modems wireless? If so, does Comcast provide wireless adapters for your PC? Reason: I don't have (good) wiring to where my PC is, and I prefer to go wireless than to have wires snaked.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

no, no wireless modems...they can set you up with a router...but i would sooner go buy my own..... or you can go buy your own gateway, but do know that all gateways (cept the new moto) are end of life....

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

Thanks. I don't necessarily mean "modem".basically, does Comcast set you up so you can have wireless access to the internet from your PC and laptop, or are you required to buy additional equipment of some kind?

voipnpots2
join:2010-11-15
U.S.

voipnpots2

I assume they do not provide you with a wireless access point. When they installed it at my house, the guy used my wireless router and hooked it up to the modem. The modem they charge you $5 a month for. If they do offer a WAP, I'm sure you'd have to buy it.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
Amazon.com has plenty of wireless gear you can buy. Comcast is in charge of brining the internet to your house, beyond that it's all you.

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
If you want to go wireless, you'll need a wireless router.

If you lease the modem from Comcast, they will provide a router for $10 s/h. (»tinyurl.com/yldlpp2).