uniqs
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

ISurfTooMuch to TamaraB

to TamaraB

Re: I smell a rat!

If they were going to inject spying software into the firmware, then they wouldn't do it this way. They'd inject it into the stock firmware at the manufacturer. Or, better yet, they'd monitor the backbones. Oh yeah, they already are.

My guess is that they're going to get the data back from these things and then report that, although bandwidth isn't always up to what's promised, it's close enough. Then they'll ask the ISP's to do better, the ISP's will say they'll try, and not a damn thing will change.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

I'm fairly sure that a government that has compliance of all major phone companies to deliver data/voice wholesale to the NSA don't need to inject crapware into a piddly 20k routers being tracked by a UK monitoring firm.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

Or, better yet, they'd monitor the backbones. Oh yeah, they already are.

Gotta love AT&T.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by morbo:

said by ISurfTooMuch:

Gotta love AT&T.

......and NSA too.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
My point is; AT&T and Verizon own the FCC. Any benefit from this data collection will be theirs not the public's. So why is tax payer money being spent on these gadgets?

And, if all this data can be had from the ISPs, and is already available, then what's the point?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Madtown

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

said by morbo:

said by ISurfTooMuch:

Gotta love AT&T.

......and NSA too.

Technically its the NSA monitoring... AT&T just rolled over when asked to place a tap... and they got a great gift for it in return. They have immunity from ever being prosecuted for violating customer's rights. Imagine all the data they have collected that they can use without any worries of being held accountable for it.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Correct. Qwest is a company that did not roll over and hand customer data to the NSA in exchange for financial gain.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
the government put the backbones in. amirite?