spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wintrmte

@174.47.80.x

Qwest Q1000 Firmware - Direct download link

I think my modem's firmware is corrupt as it won't dish out DHCP addresses, nor will do respond to any sort of IP activity. I've tried resetting the modem using the reset button on the back, but it doesn't want to come back to life.

Pretty strange problem, but I thought that I might try to get the modem to go into boot loader mode and reload the firmware.

Problem is, Qwest wants you do to it through the Modem's update firmware function.

Could someone post the direct download link to the QAQ01-31.00L.34 firmware?

Thanks!!

ewth8tr
Premium
join:2005-04-03
Salt Lake City, UT

Wintrmte

@qwest.net
reply to Wintrmte
Found it -- in case anyone else is wondering, the direct download link to the latest Q1000 firmware is:

»www.qwest.com/internethelp/modem···irmware/

Going into the boot loader (holding down reset button until PWR turns red) and flashing the firmware did fix my problem.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

Mountain Man1

join:2002-08-10
Tucson, AZ
My Q1000 seems to be exhibiting the same symptoms. How did you load the firmware from the boot loader when the modem won't respond to any kind of IP activity? This appears to have happened after a failed push firmware upgrade. Before the modem stopped responding entirely it was running at later version of the firmware than the one that the link points to.

Anyone else having issues with their Q1000?

adsldude
Premium,Ex-Mod 2003-9
join:2000-11-10
Colorado
kudos:1
reply to Wintrmte
Something appeared to happen to mine today too. I'm remote and I can't gain access to my servers which is a change from earlier this morning.
--
Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol - »www.frmbp.org
Go4it2day Web Services - »www.go4it2day.com

Mountain Man1

Tucson, AZ
Qwest tech support has confirmed that they pushed a firmware update (.48) current on Qwest site is (.34) and "some" modems do not work after the update.

I was finally able to use the web interface after I found that my modem retained it's reassigned IP address and that DHCP was not turned back on after a both power up reset and and depressing the reboot button on the back. That is unusual behavior as the modem will usually default to 192.168.0.1 and will turn on DHCP even if it has been turned off prior to reset.

The new firmware has a something of a new look to the interface and offers QoS among other things. However, it won't make a DSL connection so it is fairly worthless at the moment. I am waiting to see if Qwest will make a .48 update available on their website before I attempt to manually update the firmware on my unit.

Wintrmte

@qwest.net
That is similar to what mine did -- no DHCP but even when I put a static IP on my network card, I still couldn't get to the modem's web server interface on 192.168.0.1. Only way to revive it was to reflash the modem through the bootloader interface.

Sounds like I could have been a victim of the push firmware though..

What strikes me as odd, why would Qwest push it out like that? Seems like more of an opt in feature to me.

Wintrmte

@qwest.net
reply to Mountain Man1
My problem was a little different. It wouldn't give out DHCP addresses and acted like the web server wasn't even running.

A very strange problem to say the least.

How you get into the bootloader --

Hold the reset button until the modem reboots and the PWR light turns red.

At this point, it will listen on »192.168.0.1 -- if you don't have an active DHCP lease or have an address in a subnet that is not in the 192.168.0.1 network, you will have to assign a static IP address to your network card.

You can use: 192.168.0.10, subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Don't worry about the gateway.

When you open up IE, point your browser to »192.168.0.1 and you'll get a very basic web page that will only allow you to upload a new firmware image.

Interestingly enough, Qwest did send me a refurb modem today, I'm somewhat skeptical on keeping it. Since I got my original modem working and hasn't had a problem since, I'm wondering if I keep the refurb unit -- what problems am I going to inherit...

anon user

@qwest.net
I had the same problem and they sent a new modem. I would have tried to restore the firmware myself, but I downloaded (via cable internet) a file from Qwest that was .part format, and I wasn't sure if that was correct or if was a botched download.

Also, I found that if I unplugged the telephone cable, I could connect to the modem utility. With the cord plugged in, I couldn't access it.

codeturner

@dreamhost.com
reply to Wintrmte
Thx for this information!

Here's my experience:

Sunday morning, my modem was unresponsive -- the power light was blinking green and I couldn't hit the modem's admin IP address. Did a few hard resets (unplug power, wait a few secs, plug back in), all to no avail. Called qwest tech support -- their automated system told me that they knew I was having problems and would call back when they were resolved. Got a call that afternoon that the problem was resolved, and that I would need to do a hard reset. No luck. Talked to a few of my neighbors, and they also experienced down-time that morning, but they had since recovered and were back online.

Monday I tried again -- still down. Called qwest tech support again. They instructed me to do a hard reset, which I of course had already done several times. The tech --- I kid you not --- said, "OK, that's all the troubleshooting steps I have for this modem. It's not under warranty. You'll have to replace it. I'm sending you to sales." New modem = $100. I said I don't give up that easily and began to try to troubleshoot it myself.

I held the reset button until the power light went amber then red, which erases the custom settings back to the factory defaults. Then did a hard reset. This helped --- somewhat. The power light wasn't blinking non-stop anymore. But it still wasn't connecting to dsl. And I still couldn't hit the modem admin IP addr. Since I'm using Windows, I had to put a router between the modem and my computer, and then was finally able to ping it. But I still couldn't browse to the admin web page.

So I did a continual ping to see what was happening (ping /t 192.168.0.1) and sure enough, it would come online for 15 seconds and then reboot itself. It was stuck in this cycle and I couldn't get it out of it. Watching the pings, I was able to time my access to the admin web page and was able to see some information, but the modem wouldn't stay up long enough to make any changes. I surely couldn't flash the firmware in 15 seconds, nor would it save any changes I made to enable telnet, etc.

On Tuesday, I saw on this forum that qwest had flashed the firmware to v.48 on Sunday. I checked my firmware version, and sure enough it had updated to v.48. As mentioned here, I tried accessing the modem during bootloader mode, but it refused my access attempts. I threw my hands up in the air at any other troubleshooting attempts --- I don't have time to do anymore. I called qwest tech support --- again --- and told them my story and that it said in this forum that they flashed our modems to v.48 and that others were having problems, to which to tech replied, "Oh, you have THAT modem. We'll send you a replacement right away."

Argh!!!

I'm livid that they pushed out firmware updates on us without any notification or permission. That's completely unacceptable. I'm also upset that their original standard answer was to require that I purchase a new modem. I wonder how many other people just went ahead and purchased one --- I know I was tempted to just so that I could get the ball rolling to get me back online.

I hope this information will help someone else.

anon user

@qwest.net
Just for the fun of it, I tried to restore the firmware on the original modem. (note: downloading through Explorer rather than firefox yields a file without the .part extension, although the files look the same anyway) I hooked up the old modem, pointed it to the file, and hit the upgrade button. It failed, however, saying something to the effect that it is an "older version of firmware". I then reset the modem into "power light red" mode, but then couldn't access the modem through the browser. Any ideas?

I am annoyed because the new modem constantly retrains. (every five to ten minutes) It's probably some setting I have wrong, but it is irritating. The old one was working flawlessly. Stupid of them to put out a firmware upgrade that wasn't ready. And just this weekend I was bragging Qwest up, saying how much better they were than cable...

Mountain Man1

Tucson, AZ
Qwest/Actiontec upgrade the firmware remotely every few months and have been doing this ever since I received my Q1000 in Aug 09. It usually happens late in the night and I have never had a problem with the updates. I would guess that I have seen about 5-6 firmware updates over that time period.

They apparently bricked quite a few in this upgrade round and as of yesterday don't have a procedure in place yet to handle the issue. I think they could have managed this matter a little better but probably didn't realize earlier this week the full extent of the problem.

Hey the good news is that they are finally getting around to offering QoS in this version. That would suggest to me that they are thinking about internet video delivery going forward.

adsldude
Premium,Ex-Mod 2003-9
join:2000-11-10
Colorado
kudos:1
said by Mountain Man1:

Qwest/Actiontec upgrade the firmware remotely every few months and have been doing this ever since I received my Q1000 in Aug 09. It usually happens late in the night and I have never had a problem with the updates. I would guess that I have seen about 5-6 firmware updates over that time period.

Fascinating! I'm not aware of any firmware updates "pushed" to my Q1000. I've had VDSL2 service for less than a year. I started on .34 firmware and that's still what's on my Q1000.

At what point do we give Qwest the authority to update firmware on modems we own? Was it buried in one of the click through agreements that only a few of us read?
--
Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol - »www.frmbp.org
Go4it2day Web Services - »www.go4it2day.com

Rhodie

@qwest.net
to fix your new firware bicked router, all you have to is :
1st unlplug the phone line from the q1000 then do a bootload of the .34 firware

BOOTLOADER METHOD

1. Enter Bootload mode by pressing the Reset button, and holding it until the Power light LED turns Red. Do not release the Reset button until Power light LED has been Red for two or three seconds.

2. Set a static IP address on the workstation of 192.168.1.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

3. Use a Web browser to access the Q1000 at the new IP address, 192.168.1.1

4. In the “Software File Name:” box, select the (new) firmware image
(Look for it in the "images" directory at: /opt/bcm963xx_router/images )

5. Click the “Update Software” button.

Vognild

join:2011-01-04
Seattle, WA

1 edit
reply to Wintrmte
I had the same issue with my Q1000 and was not able to fix it. I bought the modem on Oct of 2009 so Qwest would not do a warranty exchange but the "resolution" department is going to give me full credit for the replacement modem ($100). It sounds like this is a known issue and suggest calling Qwest and getting this credited since they should have fully tested this update before pushing it out to customers. If they give you any trouble refer them to this thread to see other people having the same problem.

AZ

@qwest.net
Had the same issue with the Q1000. Wireless was sporadic, then just totally wiped out before the holidays. On the phone with Qwest for hours, could not fix it. They sent me a "refurb" modem with the older (.34 version) firmware. Problem fixed. They gave me the same "out of warranty" story, but then relented and sent the refurb. They know this is an issue and pushed the bug infested firmware (.43) too quickly.

noabody

join:2010-06-02
Hey, I've messed with this router before and was wondering how Qwest pushes those firmware updates. My best guess is that the modem "phones home" using the TR-069 protocol that is controlled by "modem IP"/main.html -> Management -> TR-069 Client.

If that is the case, wouldn't it be best to disable TR069?