thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

1 edit

How long are Chase checks good for?

If a Chase check is dated 6/30/2010, can it be cashed 12/10/2010?

This check was returned due to insufficient funds in July. The check was somehow reused 8 months later. That account had $800 less than the value of the check, and is now overdrawn. The person who deposited it did so vengefully, since they already received cash + an extra $100(for their trouble/fees) for the value of the check that bounced in June.

I can't talk to Chase until Monday. Any ideas how this may go? Can you redeposit a check the bank returns? Can you deposit a check half a year after it was issued?
--
If you're going to repair your own Macbook, benefit from my experiences.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
As I understand it a bank _can_ reject a check if it's older then 6 months but is under no obligation to do so. Other then that it's between the bank and the account holder (the bank on the check) as far as how long they will honor the check. I'm guessing that this is a personal check with no expiration written on it. As such, I believe by opening statement applies.

It's always the check writers responsibility to make sure there are sufficient finds in the account to address any/all outstanding checks. What should have been done is a stop payment should have been placed in the check. If the debt was addressed otherwise it was foolish not to put a stop payment request on that check.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
I thought if a check were deposited and it bounced that it was tossed by the bank. I know better for next time I guess. Lesson learned.
--

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
said by thender:

I thought if a check were deposited and it bounced that it was tossed by the bank. I know better for next time I guess. Lesson learned.

I've seen them deposited twice after first being presented. First time automatically, second time after they were returned.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits
reply to thender
This is funny. I just called Chase customer support.

One month ago, a large bank certified check I deposited into a different Chase account for business took 1 calendar month to process because of questionable/poor account history.

Mere weeks later, a different Chase account that had $77 in it was allowed to cash an $1100 check because I have excellent account history and am an upstanding customer. THEIR WORDS!

I have all the negatives of being subprime with all the negatives of being a baller.

I acknowledge that I am an idiot for bouncing a check and then not canceling the bounced check six months later. At the same time, F Chase for these games.
--

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
Keep in mind that you may want to see if the bank will allow you to back the check out as the person knew that they had already been paid. It's a long short but it might be worth asking.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
I'll give it a shot on Monday morning. A cokehead my friend works for wrote a check for $1000 to my friend. He has a chase account. It took 4 days for this chase to chase check to process, and then after a week of being there the money was removed and an overdraft fee was charged for all the transactions made after the $1000 cleared, so I know they can take money back when they want to.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
said by thender:

, and then after a week of being there the money was removed and an overdraft fee was charged for all the transactions made after the $1000 cleared, so I know they can take money back when they want to.

thats basically how the cashiers check scam works. the account holder is responsible for the funds.
--
The shortest distance between 2 points adds 1.5 stars to T. want $25? solve »coord.info/GC20A37 for me

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI
reply to thender
said by thender:

If a Chase check is dated 6/30/2010, can it be cashed 12/10/2010?

Yes.
said by thender:

This check was returned due to insufficient funds in July. The check was somehow reused 8 months later.

That's 5 1/2 months later, not 8.
said by thender:

Can you redeposit a check the bank returns? Can you deposit a check half a year after it was issued?

Yes, once and yes.
--
4 out of 5 urologists smell their apple juice before drinking it.