Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

knarf77

join:2010-12-12
Evanston, IL

SB6120 and wireless router connection problem

Hi!

This is probably a really simple question, but I wasn't able to google the answer.

I have a Comcast Internet connection through my SB6120. It's working well when I plug it straight into my computer. When I plug it into my wireless router (Trendnet TEW-432BRP), I can get a connection to the internet through the other ethernet jacks. (I plug the router into one of the regular ethernet jacks, not the "WAN" jack - it doesn't work if I do that).

I am able to connect to the router through wireless, however I can not access the internet then. The computers that are connected wirelessly can access the router config page at 192.168.1.1 .That page is for some reason not accessible to the computers connected directly through the ethernet jack.

I am able to reach the surfboard's config page at 192.168.100.1 through the wired ethernet connection.

What is going on here? How can I get the router to "patch" the internet through the wireless connection? (It worked fine together with a DSL modem just yesterday). My suspicion is it might be that the two DHCP services (from the wireless router and the modem) are somehow conflicting with each other. What combination of settings will let me use the internet through the wireless connection?

I'd be grateful for any help.

F

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Sounds like what you're doing is wiring up things incorrectly.

You want the modem to go into the WAN port of the wireless router. You also need to figure out why it doesn't work and fix that. It probably has to do with the configuration of your router. Looking at the Trendnet manual you should be going to 192.168.10.1 not 192.168.1.1

dperrella

join:2002-09-11
San Francisco, CA
reply to knarf77

said by knarf77:

Hi!
What is going on here? How can I get the router to "patch" the internet through the wireless connection? (It worked fine together with a DSL modem just yesterday). My suspicion is it might be that the two DHCP services (from the wireless router and the modem) are somehow conflicting with each other. What combination of settings will let me use the internet through the wireless connection?

I'd be grateful for any help.

F

Let me know if you figure this out. I can get internet service (Comcast) out of my SB6120 in two ways.

1. Connect a computer directly to the modem (firmware version SB612X-1.0.3.0-SCM03-NOSH).

2. Connect the modem to my router (Buffalo WHR-HP-G454) through the WAN port and set my router to bridge mode (turning off the router's DHCP server).

I imagine form what you've said that I might get some results by connecting the modem to the router through one of the LAN ports, even if I did not put the router in bridge mode, but what I really want is to turn off the modem's (unconfigurable) DHCP server and have it just work as a modem and leave the DHCP duties to my router.

Does anybody know how to do that or to make any configuration changes at all on this modem? I can go to the "configuration" page at 192.168.100.1, but all that does is tell me what the confguration is, not allow me to make any changes.

Help?

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
Smithtown, NY

You can't change anything in the configuration file, that is sent to you from the cable company and their provisioning system. The DHCP server is supposed to turn itself off once it registers on the cable network and goes into bridged mode.

knarf77

join:2010-12-12
Evanston, IL
reply to Nick

Thanks a lot. After plugging the modem into the WAN port and a full reset, I finally got it to work. Regards, F

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
Smithtown, NY

No problem...Usually a modem reset is required when you change the device behind it (from Computer to Router)

Glad you got it working.

PJ

@charter.com
reply to knarf77

I have not been able to solve a Motorola SB6120 connectivity problem with one of my 4 computers on my home wireless system. The other three are working fine. On this particular computer I can connect to the internet if I direct connect to the SB6120. If I use either one of my wireless routers (Netgear or Apple Air Express)between the SB6120 and the computer I cannot connect to the internet. The wireless conection to the router is fine. And yes I have powered down and powered up the modem after the wireless is up and running. I run the diagnostic feature in Explorer and it says to check the cable modem connection. I took this computer up to the coffee shop and connected to their wireless with no issues.

What is going on here? Any help would be appreciated.

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to knarf77

Anytime you have a modem registered to one mac address in order to use the same address through another piece of equipment you have to clone the address to a router or change the mac address to the NIC card or simply unplug the modem and wait a minute or so and plug it back up and it will register the new mac address