spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hpone2
@cox.net

hpone2

Anon

[crt/lcd] problem with LCD monitor losing power

I have a 3 year old 22 inch widescreen HP LCD monitor that I use with my desktop and xbox 360. On a daily basis, I usually change the color profile via the on screen display to change between text, movie, and gaming color profiles. Over time, one of the buttons wasn't making good contact and I've had to press it harder and harder to get a response. Today when I press this button, the power to the monitor is cut off. By unplugging cables or waiting a few hours, the power to the monitor can be restored, but this color profile button doesn't work anymore and pressing it results in the power loss again. I think over time the monitor won't turn on due to this issue.

Now when the monitor works, the display is beautiful and has no dead pixels. It's out of warranty and a replacement would cost around $200 or maybe less, but I'd hate to throw out a monitor over a simple contact problem. Do you think it's possible to take the monitor to a repair shop and have it repaired for less than $75? I looked around the back and sides, and there isn't really any user replaceable screws to open up the panel, so I'm wondering if any repair shop can actually open it up.

Thanks
Max_War
join:2002-11-30
Scarborough, ON

Max_War

Most LCD's are assembled the same. There should be screws on each corner and a few where the base/stand connects to the monitor. Remove these screws and then 'pop' open the edges of the monitor.

Youtube has some videos showing how to remove LCD's.

Becareful with repair shops, I took some monitors to one place and after awhile the monitors started failing again. I decided to fix them myself and I found out the shop had put incorrect parts.

hpone2
@cox.net

hpone2

Anon

If it's a contact problem, can it be fixed? I'm not sure how to use solder or anything technical, but I might be able to find an electrician who knows what he's doing.