uniqs
share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Hulu and netflix good for no cable tv replacement?

In the first of the year I'm thinking about dropping cable tv service would the content be enough that I wont miss cable service? sure my internet service will go up in price but it should be far less then the $130+ I pay for both

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

his really depends on your viewing habits and what you want to watch. For unlimited content Hulu is now charging, under the Hulu Plus plan (I think $10/month). Netflix also charges for content. Add up your new Internet charge plus $20 and see what price point you are at. Then keep in mind that a lot of programming won't be available. How is the OTA signal in your area for local channels? Something else to consider.

You may want to call your cable provider and let them know you are considering dropping TV service and ask if they can give you a deal. I pay $40/month (6 months) for a premium cable package. When it expires, I'll call again for a discount.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

well i already have netflix but just wondering what hulu plus offers more

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to Subaru

As a replacement for local channels have you though about using a TV antenna? Cheap solution if local stations are of interest.

If you want to model estimated signal strength of local stations check:
»tvfool.com/

/Tom

RodBarnes

join:2010-12-11
Beaverton, OR
reply to Subaru

I recently did just this. I had been on FIOS TV and decided I was not using it enough to warrant the cost. I was paying about $50/month for the package (plus about $50 for internet) and I was always paying for Netflix. Found I was using Netflix way more often than the FIOS TV and broadcast in my area is pretty clean.

I watch more movies (particularly old classics) than I do broadcast TV. I'm still using regular Hulu as it (combined with Netflix) is meeting my needs at this time. But even if I do go to Hulu+ that takes me to $20/month.

Not a huge change from the $50 I was spending on FIOS TV but, again, I wasn't really using it and I hate paying for something I don't use.

That was always my issue with cable in the first place -- paying for a lot of channels I don't use. But I digress...

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
reply to Subaru

I recently added Netflix a few months myself. I went ahead and dropped all my premium channels. Keeping the digital tier plus hd dvr. Netflix just doesn't cover everything but I can deal with it. Total cable bill is still just below $100.

Still not sure if hulu could fill the gaps.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru

What I'm playing with right now (trial mode for now): Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. on a Sony Media Player (which connects to my HD-TV). The picture quality is excellent (which would probably also be true with a Roku equivalent--XD or XD/S). Netflix looks better than on the PC (1600x900) monitor--you can only select from your queue (not a problem as far as I'm concerned). Hulu looks better, I guess, but the delays so far between switching content (from ad to show or show to ad) are noticeable--always at least a few seconds, sometimes more than a few, and rarely up to a minute [or more]; so watching on the PC has a definite advantage... don't know if it would be different with a Roku. The Sony netbox [or a Roku] provide a fairly similar experience to watching cable TV as far as Netflix movies are concerned, so for $8/mo I'm planning to stay with Netflix; I'm undecided on Hulu Plus, but I've got over 2 months to decide (11-week trial period w/ the Sony). For sports there's ESPN3 (for Verizon, Comcast customers) if that's a factor.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

I have a ps3 so I did the one week trial with hulu+ and watching an old space movie called "For all mankind"

so far I like it.. going to check out some other stuff before the week is out.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Subaru

Where the real problem with ditching cable comes in is sports. If you're not into sports in any way, shape, or form, ditching cable is easy. The only reason I have cable is to watch football, two games a week. Maybe a little hockey, but other than that I don't watch it.
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by Kilroy:

Where the real problem with ditching cable comes in is sports. If you're not into sports in any way, shape, or form, ditching cable is easy. The only reason I have cable is to watch football, two games a week. Maybe a little hockey, but other than that I don't watch it.

yeah I'm not a sports fan at all so it's no big deal for me
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

In the first of the year I'm thinking about dropping cable tv service would the content be enough that I wont miss cable service? sure my internet service will go up in price but it should be far less then the $130+ I pay for both

The Microsoft Media Center for Windows 7 seems to include a lot of prime time and classic content from NBC and CBS. Also included are some CW content.

Apple's iTunes seems to have a lot of network podcasts, but they seem to be a bit slower to be loaded than the Microsoft Windows Media.

I need to get news, network, MSNBC, CNN, Fox, CNBC, Fox Business, FSTV, and others. My kids want Disney, Nick, and Hub.

So far I don't see any integrated network service that provides new programming with kids programming in a DVR like environment with a simple to use set top box or as an integrated app to a smart TV.

I don't see any Hulu enabled smart TV's and no free Hulu DVD's.

We are very used to time shifting, and would want to have the major networks recent programs (within the past few weeks), cable news, and kids content, it would have to be available inexpensively on 4 or more sets.

If someone comes out with an easy to use, inexpensive, simple solution, let me know. Until then, we'll stick with DirecTV. Though I'm hopeful in the not too distant future someone will come out with something approximating current satellite or cable DVR functionality.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Retired
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to Subaru

130+ is pretty cheap.

I wish thats all my cable bill was every month..:+)
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

Downside: no live sporting events[other than whats available over the air]
if you want new shows the day they air that can be a problem[not everything is available on P2P]
-
your ISPs caps will come into play here too. video uses a lot of bandwidth.
--
The shortest distance between 2 points adds 1.5 stars to T. want $25? solve »coord.info/GC20A37 for me

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
reply to Subaru

I turned off cable except for internet a few months ago. The money you save will look good in your bank account.

You may not get to watch first run shows live, but you won't have to sell off a kidney to pay your bill either.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Subaru

At the first of the month I dropped cable TV.

I am with Comcast and they charge an additional $10/mo if you do not bundle a TV package with HSI.

In my area the Basic Package, channels 2-31 is $11.65/month + a buck or so tax/fees, so that was a no brainer. Within those channels get all the locals, plus WGN and Discovery.

I am finding content online at a number of sites, including Hulu, TNT, TBS, USA and so on. The regular shows I watched before, I have been able to find and watch them on my 'schedule'.

hth

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
reply to Subaru

Im going to get rid of TV this week i think also, netflix and other places on the web are all im using as it is anyway.
--
Democrats Have Guns Too..

btB

@rr.com

Is there a box (other than a PC) that can do Netflix and regular Hulu? If not out-of-the-box, how about one that maybe has lots of 3rd-party plugins for other video sites.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

said by Subaru:

Downside: no live sporting events[other than whats available over the air]
if you want new shows the day they air that can be a problem[not everything is available on P2P]
-
your ISPs caps will come into play here too. video uses a lot of bandwidth.

I don't care about any sports events and my ISP does not cap.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to mob

said by mob:

I turned off cable except for internet a few months ago. The money you save will look good in your bank account.

You may not get to watch first run shows live, but you won't have to sell off a kidney to pay your bill either.

Thats how I feel and if cablevision has not already they are due for another rate hike.

I think internet+ netflix and hulu+ and OTA HD tv is all I need really.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to btB

said by btB :

Is there a box (other than a PC) that can do Netflix and regular Hulu? If not out-of-the-box, how about one that maybe has lots of 3rd-party plugins for other video sites.

some dvd players do it I think roku does it and ps3 and xbox and wii all do it.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to Subaru

I think internet+ netflix and hulu+ and OTA HD tv is all I need really.

It's doable - my family cut the cord April. None of us can stand watching broadcast TV anymore--TV is a lot better w/o commercials. Anyone with little kids should get rid of Disney and Nickelodeon and go with Netflix...I wish it was available to me when my kids where little.

We don't watch Hulu that often. I'm not interested in Hulu Plus...they are going with the "dual revenue" approach like cable (subscription + advertisements)

You might want to keep Limited Basic TV + HSI, it's probably cheaper to bundle them than to have HSI alone.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3
reply to pandora

My Samsung (New 55"LED/240Hz) Has Hulu+.
--
Getting it Done.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
reply to btB

»www.roku.com/ has it all
--
Getting it Done.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Daarken

said by Daarken:

My Samsung (New 55"LED/240Hz) Has Hulu+.

That's a start.

Somewhere someone will aggregate all the stuff floating around into a nice interface and offer it at a decent price with either a STB or as part of newer sets firmware. After that, I expect Comcast, DirecTV, AT&T, Verizon, and Dish to be singing the blues with network admins who will see an explosion in traffic.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Daarken

said by Daarken:

»www.roku.com/ has it all

Thats nice.. no monthly payments but just whatever service you have right?

Might be cool for the living room

*edit wow has Nasa tv thats cool

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to pandora

You mean like Google TV (also just "a start")? ...except for all of the sites (like Hulu [as usual]) blocking access from every "non-standard" browser ("OMG, they're stealing our content!!") Of course, Comcast already has their plan in place to [over]charge CDNs/backbones for delivering the traffic initiated by their customers.

So, yeah, maybe one of these centuries...

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by GlennAllen:

You mean like Google TV (also just "a start")? ...except for all of the sites (like Hulu [as usual]) blocking access from every "non-standard" browser ("OMG, they're stealing our content!!") Of course, Comcast already has their plan in place to [over]charge CDNs/backbones for delivering the traffic initiated by their customers.

So, yeah, maybe one of these centuries...

Google TV is also a start, but doesn't aggregate all or most of the extended basic cable or satellite channels many want in an easy to use set top box. Until the news, kid, and a other extended basic channels (History, Biography, Comedy Central, Hub, DXD, Disney, TBS, and others) are all available with DVR like capability for programs aired over the past few weeks ... there won't be as many converts.

Now let me have my 4 HD TV's running the channels I like to watch, with timeshift DVR or DVR like capability and do it for less than DirecTV charges, and I'll be there. Until then, it's a disjointed hodge podge imo.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

see all those other channels other then the major networks I really don't miss.. Sure history channel might have something good but I can always find the ep someplace else.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to pandora

Sadly, many of the major networks are so concerned about Google TV somehow taking over their world that they are blocking it from streaming their stuff over the net.

If that isn't resolved quickly then the (expensive) Google TV devices may become a footnote in history...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by HarryH3:

Sadly, many of the major networks are so concerned about Google TV somehow taking over their world that they are blocking it from streaming their stuff over the net.

If that isn't resolved quickly then the (expensive) Google TV devices may become a footnote in history...

which is why i'm shocked at the price point for google tv and still after all the blocks
--