spc
Search similar:

uniqs
neil0311
join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

neil0311

Not sure what all the fuss is about

I have a 250GB (giga-BYTE) with an upper case B. That means that I can stream a feature length HD movie EVERY day of the month and not go over caps.

I think the problem is people whose entire life is a couch potato existence in front of their screen. How many movies do you need to watch in a month? I just don't get the problem. I have a five person household with an XBOX 360 on Live, multiple mobile devices, desktops, and laptops, and multiple Netflix capable devices. I have barely cracked 100GB/mo...and we watch quite a few movies.

flq06
join:2009-08-06
Verdun, QC

flq06

Anybody else tought of deploying multicast over the internet, for live TV broadcasting (shoud say multicasting instead of broadcasting...anyways)?

There are multicast address available for every AS on the internet.

This might not be the answer to the netflix problem, but if every service provider was using all the technology available, we wouldn't be crying here today.

Just as an example, the other day I was trying to locate the source of my netflix stream. Guess what, I ended up on a cache server on the Toronto IX. If every ISP would implement this, it would would mean 1 single stream for each movie on the Peers links, all other stream would be originated from there own network, where bandwitdh is plentyfull (supposed to...).
progrocktv3
join:2009-04-27

progrocktv3 to neil0311

to neil0311
That's great but check back in a year when they reduce that 250GB a month down to 10GB with $10 per GB overage charge. We need to look at the big picture of what they'll pull down the road rather than what we have today right now.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

wings10

Premium Member

Netflix is still the best deal with the discs by mail and streaming. I can still watch my 1 m or 2 movies every other day or so and do everything else and be under 100GB but I still do not like the fact that now I have a cap. And what will happen next year as we use the internet more and more? Even a lower cap? Was/is there a cap on how many phone calls you can make because the phone lines can't handle it?