Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

badtzjunk

join:2004-05-24
D

green "data" cable = phone cable?

Greetings,

I got the self-installation kit for U-Verse.

There's a green phone line-in port on the 2WIRE modem.

When I use the green "data" cable that comes with the kit (rj11) it connects fine.

When I use my previous phone line that I used to connect DSL, it doesn't work.

The reason I want to use the previous phone line is because the wire is the "flat" kind, so I have the wire hidden along the edges of the floor, and into a cabinet... so all devices are hidden.

Is the green phone cable at&t uses different from a typical phone cable? Does u-verse have more stringent requirements for the cable than DSL? Is it because the flat phone cables have less shielding?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Re: green "data" cable = phone cable?

Have a close look at the phone cables
One of them may have support for 2 lines

badtzjunk

D
@wayjac: my flat phone line has four-conductors.

Upon closer inspection of the green data cable, it says "cat 5" on the cable ... but the connectors on the ends are RJ11 ... is that possible? would this explain why my phone line cable doesn't work?

RocketJeff
Premium
join:2008-08-20
Birmingham, AL
reply to badtzjunk
A standard phone cable should work but, unless you have no other choice, I'd use the green cable they sent.

I assume that the green cable is the same type as on my U-Verse setup - a cat-5E cable with 2 sets of twisted-pair wires (should be printed on the cable). This cable will prevent a lot of problems with noise interference that can happen with a flat data cable.

If you search through this forum, you'll see several posts from people who had a lot of problems with regular phone cable running to their RG - they replaced it with twisted-pair cable and the problems stopped.

badtzjunk

D
@rocketjeff: if I took a flat twisted pair cable, and cut off the ends and put RJ11 ... that should work?

TheDuck

join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH
reply to badtzjunk
The flat silver lace cable is a phone cable, not a data cable. It is not twisted pairs and is good for only the audio frequencies. Even if it worked you should not use it as it will only lead to possible hidden problems, Higher error rate. You can hide the cat5 cable. If you can't work it in the edge of the carpet use the plastic tubes available for the purpose.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to badtzjunk
said by badtzjunk:

@wayjac: my flat phone line has four-conductors

Both cables have two pairs so that's not the cause of the problem
said by badtzjunk:

Upon closer inspection of the green data cable, it says "cat 5" on the cable ... but the connectors on the ends are RJ11 ... is that possible?

at&t almost almost always uses cat 5 rated cable for telephone cable
said by badtzjunk:

would this explain why my phone line cable doesn't work?

No, that's not the cause

What device are you connecting the cable too

badtzjunk

D
@wayjac: I'm trying to connect it from the wallplate to the u-verse RG .... plugging in the att cat5 cable (with RJ11 ends) works though ...

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
If you have dial tone at that wall jack connect a telephone to test
That flat cable may be faulty

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to badtzjunk
I've seen many many many of those cheap flat cables where they are wired wrong

One end: 1 2 3 4

Other end: 4 3 2 1
--
PRescott7-2097

ptechdallas

@76.251.150.x
reply to badtzjunk
use the green cable its cat5e

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL
reply to badtzjunk
said by badtzjunk:

@rocketjeff: if I took a flat twisted pair cable, and cut off the ends and put RJ11 ... that should work?

Yes, this solution would work just fine. U-verse only requires one pair of wires to work out of the 4 pairs in a twisted pair Cat5e that is flat or round. Just make sure that you wire both ends using the same color order / sequence and use two pairs since you don't know exactly which pair is used on the wall jack unless you want to take the cover off to see how the jack is wired.

Dave