how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Firetamer

join:2003-03-03
Pittsburgh, PA

[PA] ISP's available in Pittsburgh?

I have had enough of Comcast's shoddy service. I am looking for another ISP. I have checked with the Verizon FIOS website and unfortunately I am unable to get that hooked up as of yet. I know they have wired up some neighborhoods around me, but it seems the rollout here has slowed way down since the economy tanked.

Anyway.

Can anyone who has had to look before in this area please point me in the right direction for a good reliable ISP? I don't even care anymore, in the sense of whether it is DSL, Satellite, hell I am even considering a 4G phone to hook into my network if that is even possible.

What are my solid choices here? I would prefer a company that has been around a while but I would even try a startup that is offering deals in order to attract customers.

I am not going to lie, I loved my speed when it worked right (this is months ago now) as I was getting 50 to 60 down and 10 up. I doubt I will get anywhere near that with anything other than cable or fiber.

One last question, if it is even possible to go with another cable company, do they use the same network and equipment Comcast does or do they have their own? Reason I ask is that these connectivity/speed issues have been confirmed many many times not to be in my residence, so I don't want to cancel all of this with Comcrap just to sign onto another cable provider and experience the same exact issues.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to be as thorough as possible. Any questions, just ask away...

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
And you are not really getting an answer from me

But a suggestion....

There is a free program called pingplotter
»www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html

Which I used many times when I used to have Comcr*p here
sometimes it is a router issue and pingplotter will show you if there is a bad one real close to you
Since it sounds like you may be stuck with them for a while longer, can't hurt to be able to let them know they have a bad router (shown by high ping times in pingplotter), and that you are not happy
Other ISPs may not be all that better.... I switched to FiOS here and yes it is better, but now I really have to jump through hoops to get a human on the phone.. it took me 4 calls and hours each time on the phone to get a billing error straightened out, but the slowdowns aren't on my end anymore.
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

Firetamer

Pittsburgh, PA
I appreciate the input. I have been using pingplotter and yes, there is terrible packet loss (the pings are actually fine) in the CC's local outside "network" I assume on this node. They believe it is an "ingress" issue however they can't seem to get in touch with the outside maintenance people to look into it after three weeks! They won't answer an internal message or email or phone call. Its like they are completely ignoring the problem.

I cancelled my service a couple of days ago, because this has been going on for about 6months to a year now, and it is still up and working. They did say they were stopping the billing though so now I don't know if they just suspended billing until someone gets in touch with me or if they can't even get a disconnect right.

I am looking into my options which to this point seem to be 1. DSL or 2. 3G/4G cell phone data service (I currently have Sprint)

I looked into some Satellite solutions but its insane what they want (80/month for 6Mbps down 256kbps up) so that isn't an option.

FIOS isn't wired in my neighborhood. I have been tracking it for years now and it seems they aren't interested in wiring up my townhome community for some reason.

So, I am not sure where to go from here.

Kathy_9
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Firetamer
Have you tried reaching out to one of the guys who monitor the Comcast Direct forum? They might be able to escalate your issue and get some results.

»Comcast Direct
--
“If you can't change your fate, change your attitude."

Firetamer

Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah I did, got nowhere with them and also the upper tier of customer service "make it right" department.

Nothing has changed btw. Still terrible service.