uniqs
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl

Re: Hulu and netflix good for no cable tv replacement?

said by GlennLouEarl:

You mean like Google TV (also just "a start")? ...except for all of the sites (like Hulu [as usual]) blocking access from every "non-standard" browser ("OMG, they're stealing our content!!") Of course, Comcast already has their plan in place to [over]charge CDNs/backbones for delivering the traffic initiated by their customers.

So, yeah, maybe one of these centuries...

Google TV is also a start, but doesn't aggregate all or most of the extended basic cable or satellite channels many want in an easy to use set top box. Until the news, kid, and a other extended basic channels (History, Biography, Comedy Central, Hub, DXD, Disney, TBS, and others) are all available with DVR like capability for programs aired over the past few weeks ... there won't be as many converts.

Now let me have my 4 HD TV's running the channels I like to watch, with timeshift DVR or DVR like capability and do it for less than DirecTV charges, and I'll be there. Until then, it's a disjointed hodge podge imo.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

see all those other channels other then the major networks I really don't miss.. Sure history channel might have something good but I can always find the ep someplace else.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
Sadly, many of the major networks are so concerned about Google TV somehow taking over their world that they are blocking it from streaming their stuff over the net.

If that isn't resolved quickly then the (expensive) Google TV devices may become a footnote in history...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by HarryH3:

Sadly, many of the major networks are so concerned about Google TV somehow taking over their world that they are blocking it from streaming their stuff over the net.

If that isn't resolved quickly then the (expensive) Google TV devices may become a footnote in history...

which is why i'm shocked at the price point for google tv and still after all the blocks
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

I totally agree. Unless some sort of Netflix for the non-movie cable channels comes along, we won't have a viable alternative to cable and satellite imo.

The content owners may eventually be brought kicking and screaming into the 21st century.