Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

[PA] PECO rate caps expiring - changing electrical supplier?

I'm finally starting to see what this is all about, since I have an all-electric house and a sizable electric bill every month I probably should have gotten on this sooner.

Has anyone changed suppliers or found reasons not to? I am still trying to get a feel for what's going on as I read more about it.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I wonder about this myself every few months or so. *sigh*

Usually the savings are on the supply charges, the delivery charges remain about the same unless I am mistaken. That said, a good portion is the delivery charges. While any savings is great, I didn't know if it was convincing enough for me to switch over. I guess you will need to do the math on this.
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

What's happening here in PA is that the rates are getting uncapped on January 1, 2011.

Several years ago we were able to change suppliers but it was a fiasco. Many of them ended up going under and people ended up having to change back to PECO.

I've done some research and it appears that I am stuck with PECO. I have Residential Heating service as opposed to standard Residential Electric. In a nutshell, I have an all-electric house (heat pumps, electric dryer, and water heater). It's a different service classification that supposedly incorporates a discount for having an all-electric home. They actually came out and inspected to make sure we didn't have an oil furnace, etc.

But all of the competitive projected rates are higher than PECO for this type of service.
--

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by John97:

What's happening here in PA is that the rates are getting uncapped on January 1, 2011.

Several years ago we were able to change suppliers but it was a fiasco. Many of them ended up going under and people ended up having to change back to PECO.

I've done some research and it appears that I am stuck with PECO. I have Residential Heating service as opposed to standard Residential Electric. In a nutshell, I have an all-electric house (heat pumps, electric dryer, and water heater). It's a different service classification that supposedly incorporates a discount for having an all-electric home. They actually came out and inspected to make sure we didn't have an oil furnace, etc.

But all of the competitive projected rates are higher than PECO for this type of service.

I have RH also. Here's what will happen. The RH rate is being phased out over the next 2 years. By 2014 it will be gone. OTOH, the summertime penalty is also being phased out. So, depending on your summer usage, you may be paying about the same (if the overall rates did not go up). By 2014, we will be able to use the price to compare to shop around.

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

said by owlyn:

I have RH also. Here's what will happen. The RH rate is being phased out over the next 2 years. By 2014 it will be gone. OTOH, the summertime penalty is also being phased out. So, depending on your summer usage, you may be paying about the same (if the overall rates did not go up). By 2014, we will be able to use the price to compare to shop around.

Thanks for the info... Out of curiosity, do you have dual meters (peak and off-peak)?
--

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

No, just one meter. My bill averages around $215/month over the year. We are not the most efficient users around. Our windows leak cold air in the winter, and in the summer, we have some windows open and the air on. I switched most lights to CFL, but that's really a minor savings. I do run the water heater high- this is actually a savings, as you use less hot water (it is very hot, so you mix in more cold at the same pressure), so there is less to reheat. Maintaining the temp uses much less electricity than reheating.

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

The only thing on my off-peak meter is the water heater. This meter is on a timer controlled by PECO. It is off during the peak energy demand times based on the season of the year. I've got an 80-gallon water heater that is wrapped in insulation, so we don't run out of hot water. Generally, we take showers most often during the times when the meter is "hot" so the unit can recover.

Our electric bill is in the $200-$225 range during the spring/fall months when there isn't any heat or A/C being used. It gets up near double that during the cold winter months and the hot summer months.
--

ekr

@verizon.net

Does anyone know if Off-peak (if you have it) will remain? Will the deregulation affect this? I do not want to loose my Off-Peak service if I switch delivery services.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

If you have off peak service i wouldnt change. Peco stopped offering off peak service at all. Off peak service is grandfathered accounts.

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

said by rody_44:

If you have off peak service i wouldnt change. Peco stopped offering off peak service at all. Off peak service is grandfathered accounts.

When we bought this house nearly 6-years ago, the off-peak meter was here. We got rid of the oil furnace and converted to dual-zone heat pumps because the house didn't have central air and this was the most cost-effective way. When we made the change to RH service, the off-peak meter stayed.

A few years ago my neighbor's primary meter went bad and the PECO repair guy told them that the off-peak service was going away.
--

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to John97

Did you end up changing providers?

I thought I would take a look into this and in my are, the best quote I received for natural gas (fixed rate for term) was still slightly higher than what I am paying using the utility. Same thing for electric. I can't see how I am saving money by switching.
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

said by PhoenixDown:

Did you end up changing providers?

No. In addition to none of the competitors being close to PECO's rates for the RH service which I have, it turns out that the other providers do not participate in the off-peak rates. I pay like 2 cents per KW on my off-peak meter for my water heater. If I changed providers I'd be paying the same 9-10 cents per KW for the off-peak meter usage just like the peak meter.
--

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to John97

Recently I was approached by a friend who asked me to become a rep for an electric energy provider from Texas. I did a little research and found it to be a MLM.

I was told to come to a meeting and watch a video and after it was over I would pay $300 plus $20 for a website. Then just sign up 2 people and when they sign up 2 more I will start making money. He said he was making $1056 per month and was trying for the $6000 per month level.

Told the dude that it wasn't for me but he said that he knew a lady in Texas who got in on the ground floor and was earning $60,000 per month sitting on her butt because she signed up a lot of people. I just laughed and said "Go away". It's a pyramid scheme so be careful if anyone offers you to become a rep.

Here's what I found after a quick search, and it looks awfully suspicious:

quote:
In 1 week I paid $329 + $20, yet they were running a bonus where I could make $200 if I found 2 people to switch the electricity in 7 days to stream energy. That was easy. If I hired an agent and they also did the 2 switches in 7 days I would pocket another $200 and they would pocket $200.

Math: $400 - ($329 + $20)= ~$51 ( there was a $3 processing check fee i think).

Not bad considering everyone on the net was crying out loud that mlms were bad since they suck the money out of you but instead I made ~$50 in 1 week? I'm not sure what all the fuss is about but I MADE money.

Then the next hurdle was how fast could I earn $20/month so my business was free? I'm on pace to get promoted to MD in ~ 6weeks. The avg is 8 months. I just found a good agent that had good connections.

The $/kw rate isn't the best but it's currently $.1199 1yr contract @1000kw and that's way better then txu/reliant. I don't force people to join me or switch. I just try and share why I did it and how I'm saving money now. My electricity bill saved me $72 last month since switching from my high reliant month to month rate.

all you need is 3 agents and 8 electricity customers. after that you just manage your downline and wait to get promoted unless your a go getter and want to find more to accelerate your promotion. I'm on pace to make $55/month residual (doesn't include hiring agent bonuses).

monthly payout: $55-$20 = $35/month.

galantibiz

@qwest.net

1 edit

The company you are referring to is not an illegal pyramid scheme and I'll tell you why. In an illegal pyramid scheme people get paid just for recruiting others into the business. In the business you mentioned (in all honesty, I am an associate of such a business) the person who brings you into the business does not get paid until you get paid. For example if I brought you in under me, I would not get paid on that untill you had trigered your first check (which in my business is 4 customer points). The second reason it is not an illegal pyramid scheme is that you can out perform and exceed my selling level. In illegal pyramid scheme only the top people make money and everyone else does not. This is not the case here.

Yes, MLM is not for everyone, but it is a valid business and many well off professionals, Donald Trump for one, highly reccommend a MLM business to secure passive residual income.

Other examples of MLM are Avon, Tupperware, Arborne, etc...

No matter what business you consider, you always need to do your homework.

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

He never said it was an "illegal" pyramid scheme.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by John97:

He never said it was an "illegal" pyramid scheme.

Might as well be though.

My friend who came to me with this proposal asked me to sign up and change energy suppliers to his company. I told him I must do some research and I'll get back to him. He called me later that day and began spewing quotes from Warren Buffet about how great this company is and how fast it moved up to become a billion dollar company faster than Google, etc. Later that day, Anthony, his associate left a message that he had to talk to me about energy suppliers and it was very important so I ignored him.

The very next day another call from my friend who asked me if I signed up yet and I told him I was still researching. He said "I did the research. Don't you trust me because everyone else I talked to signed up without questioning my research". I told him to go pound sand up his ass and stop rushing me. Later that day he stopped at my place of business to inform me that he needed 2 more people to sign up that week so he could move up a level and he needed me. I told him my sister asked me to join a co-op and I signed up with them just to get him off my back. He left in a huff and I haven't seen or heard from him since.

So to all the pushy schemers out there I say take your pyramids and mlms and stick them.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

i agree and not to mention donald trump promoted the video phone last year. Donald Trump will promote anything for anyone that will pay him.

mudman2

join:2011-07-05
Jamison, PA

I have an Off Peak meter which I use for the pool power, would PECO mind if I switched my AC over to it do you think ? and Maybe add a hot water heater

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL

You would only be able to run your A/C at night.

mudman2

join:2011-07-05
Jamison, PA

Not So, I run my pool pumps at night and thru the PM, there has only been 1 outage I know about and that was 2 weeks ago for about 4 hours, same time as they turned off the Aircon units on their saver plan.

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

1 edit

Off-peak meters have timer-controlled hours of operation, hence the name "off-peak" - they are only live during off-peak demand times.

I have an off-peak meter for my hot water heater and clothes dryer. I called PECO when I bought this house 6 years ago since I wasn't familiar with the concept. They explained it as follows:

In the summer, it's dead from 1:00pm to 8:00 PM which are peak demand times due to air conditioner use. During the rest of the year it dead only from 4PM to 7PM which are peak times when people are getting home from work, turning all their lights on, using the electric stoves to cook dinner, etc. As far as I have been able to tell, those times are valid.

I got a letter recently saying that the timed-use off-peak discount program is ending. PECO is going to be installing smart meters in 2012. With that, there will be discounts if you shift your electric use to off-peak times on your own. I plan on doing this by putting a timer on my water heater and a few other things.
--