Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
reply to ebgbjo

Re: [MA] Where is the snow!!

Got snow, about 5 inches then turned to rain. I can't believe how fast the outdoor temp went up. It was 23 one hour, the next it was 33. Now it is 38 --- 1 1/2 hours AFTER it was 23. Damn!

Midgard

join:2010-10-11
MA
kudos:1
reply to ebgbjo
We got maybe 4 inches yesterday in the North Boston area. They are saying 6-12 inches on Friday. Is Spring here yet?

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
We'll be halfway to spring two weeks from Saturday.

Sorry. That's the best I can do for now.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
Was 45° and rain yesterday. I squeegeed the driveway.

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to Sarah
said by Sarah:

Look for a blizzard on 1/25.

Just read on Boston.com: "the weather service says there's a chance of yet another storm on Tuesday."

Tuesday, hmm, that would be 1/25
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
Current models have that one going out to sea, but the way things are going this winter, who knows?

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
Theoretically tonight...
"* accumulations... 3 to 5 inches of snow... with up to 6 inches
possible near the Cape Cod canal."
Cities Affected:(include)
Bass River, Cummaquid, Yarmouth Port...

Only time these little villages are called "cities"

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to ebgbjo
Sunday night low temp to be -10. I'd rather have more snow.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to ebgbjo

looking out my window
Gusty winds blowing the dry powder snow are causing white outs this afternoon.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit
reply to ebgbjo
Yeah, I almost got my camera out as well...got slammed again today.
They were calling for 3-6", and when all was said and done, I'll bet we got closer to 12".
Worse yet, I was just reading some future "predictions" about the rest of the winter. The trend seems to be the same old thing...more serious snow, possibly even into early April, and one of the coldest winters since the 1980's.

In the mean time, I'll keep my shovel going as long as I can, and possibly post some photos later on.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
Rained last night. Driveway is dry and sun is out.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
said by capecoddah:

reply censored

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
reply to jabarnut
fyi: it's gonna snow again the middle of next week.
--
"Oh no. This is Earth, isn't it." - Thor

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
Yeah, I heard the same thing.
And as if the snow isn't enough (I'm about buried up to my neck in it), Sunday night is supposed to be -15F with wind chills as low as 30 degrees below zero.
Heck, even today (Saturday, which is sunny), it's only 10 degrees at 10:14am...and it's all down hill from here.

I guess I better get the brass Monkey inside asap.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

said by capecoddah:

reply censored

I LOLd...
Not like I went golfing or the beach.
OK, a short bucket at the range and stopped in the parking lot.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to Midgard
said by Midgard:

On a side note: What type of snow blower does everyone use? I had a POS 21" Toro single stage that came with the new house but it's not made for actually handling a NE winter storm. I sold it over the week-end since a shovel is just as effective. I'm looking at 24-30" 2-stage 8-11hp machines now. Consumer reports has the 30" Troy-bilt 357cc as #1 consumer model but my co-workers say get a smaller model Ariens instead. They say the 28" 249cc Ariens for the same price is a better deal.

21" Toro single-stage is ok as long as you keep up with snow as it comes down. But you have to push it. Short driveway it's ok, but it would never keep up with the heavy stuff we got last week. I had one of those for a couple of years because it was a step up from straight shoveling. But I've gotten old enough to need either snow shovel slaves (illegal and immoral), kids in the neighborhood willing to earn a few bucks (can you say snowball in August?), or something bigger than a single stage.

I picked up a 22" Ariens from Home Depot last October. It's one step up from a single stage. It might have to go slow in heavy snow, but it hasn't choked yet, even on the berm plowed up at the end of the driveway. The larger the area you need to clear, a larger size machine would finish quicker. The sweet spot in the area/machine size equation would be to finish up 30 minutes before frostbite sets in.

Hot chocolate tastes best right about then.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ebgbjo
MORE F'N SNOW WEDNESDAY!!!!

Happy, happy- Joy, joy.

Not really. I very much need to get snow off my roof. I am sitting inside hearing the beams snap and crackle under the stress of near 2 feet of snow on it.

My chore tomorrow, is to get some, if not all, the snow off the roof before I have a bigger problem on my hands.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
I know!! I heard up to 20"!!! Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
New York, NY
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
Please tell me you're kidding

Current plan is traveling Wednesday and Thursday BOS>NYC>BOS... I am going to freaking throttle somebody if I have a major storm to deal with while traveling for the third time in a month...
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
said by Sarah:

Please tell me you're kidding

Current plan is traveling Wednesday and Thursday BOS>NYC>BOS... I am going to freaking throttle somebody if I have a major storm to deal with while traveling for the third time in a month...

You know you can move this is New England after all Anyways I saw bring it on the more snow the merrier although it will be another screw job for the cape. Bare lawn atm and only 16.5" on the season
--
Professional student pilot!

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
New York, NY
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
"If you don't like it, GTFO" - there's the old New England charm for you.... I have lived here my whole life, thank you very much. I understand that travel will sometimes be impacted by weather, but when it happens literally EVERY TIME I go somewhere it starts to get on my nerves.

I'm out of pocket $500 due to weather so far this month because of storms impacting my travel plans. Sorry if I am not as happy about it as you are.
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
reply to ebgbjo
What I heard is snow and rain and freezing rain and sleet for Wednesday. Maybe there will be some lightning and thunder too.

Good luck getting to NYC.

Midgard

MA
reply to ebgbjo
I wouldn't mind the snow as much if I could find an Ariens #$@% snow blower in stock somewhere to buy. Right now it's shovel or pay someone to plow and be at their mercy so not really great options. Who'd have thought it would be next to impossible to spend $1,000 bucks?

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
got link?

»www.ariens.com/corporate/pages/d···tor.aspx
--

Midgard

MA
I called 4 master dealers and 8 home depots every day last week at 9-10am. They all kept saying no idea when they'd get any in so call back later.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to Sarah
no, not kidding at all. This has been a weak winter IMHO. I keep hearing mixed news on Wednesday. First up to 20", then just 1-2", now on way home from work today it was "too early to tell"

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
New York, NY
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
I didn't mean kidding as in you were kidding about wanting snow, I know that I meant kidding about the 20" because I hadn't heard anything close to that.
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

Midgard

MA
reply to ebgbjo
Today they are saying 8-12" for tomorrow night and Thursday.

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana
reply to ebgbjo
You're probably living too close to the coast to get the real accumulation. If I could send you our snow from Cambridge, I would. We have a growing pile in our yard where we have to put the snow when we shovel the walk. We could probably carve a cozy little igloo into it at this point.

Oh, and don't get me started about the hassles of street parking. My husband and I did a really nice job of digging our car out after the January 12 blizzard, but unfortunately we're too nice to "reserve" our spot (with a trash bin, piece of old furniture, whatever) so after the first time we had to use the car, we've had to cruise the neighborhood for parking because of course someone else grabbed the spot we'd worked so hard to clear.
--
"Strive to change the world in such a way that there's no further need to be a dissident." Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
hope you learned your lesson about shoveling street parking for yourself.
--