uniqs
share rss forum feed

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to ebgbjo

Re: [MA] Where is the snow!!

Groundhog? Smokey the squirrel was knocking on the back door asking to spend some more time in the fireplace.

I skated halfway down the driveway before deciding YakTrax would save me from further embarrassment. Rain, 35° @ »www.capecodweather.net/ (in the neighborhood).

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to ebgbjo

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

1 recommendation

reply to ebgbjo
There's a picture making the rounds at work today of a sign on a "South End Baptist Church":

WHOEVER IS PRAYING
FOR SNOW
PLEASE STOP

--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
Yeah, my friend posted that on FB I love it

And we didn't get much here in Fall River, MA. Go figure

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
fyi: Fall River doesn't get much of anything, ever.
--
"Oh no. This is Earth, isn't it." - Thor

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
reply to Dominokat
Wow! All I can say is that "forecast" seems to be pretty much right on...we're getting "OMG" hammered big time here right now. I can't believe how hard it's coming down at the moment.
Time to get my wet suit and snorkel out, so I can still breath when I go outside (again), to shovel the decks.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana
reply to capecoddah
said by capecoddah:

I skated halfway down the driveway before deciding YakTrax would save me from further embarrassment.

Do those work well on plain ice? I was thinking of getting a pair because there are a lot of ice patches on sidewalks at downspouts in my neighborhood, and walking to work can be an, um, adventure.

Just another weather data point - it's pretty much coming down slush here in beautiful Cambridge. As I was telling a co-worker earlier, it's almost enough to make Florida seem appealing...
--
"Strive to change the world in such a way that there's no further need to be a dissident." Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to Frostbite
said by Frostbite:

...and then freeze over into a sheet of ice? :O

Funny you should mention that...

quote:
... Rapid freeze expected mid to late afternoon in eastern Massachusetts...

Those areas in eastern Massachusetts that rose above freezing this morning will drop quickly below freezing during the mid to late afternoon. This is likely to happen in Boston and the North Shore between 3 and 4 PM... and along the South Shore between 4 and 5 PM. The same rapid drop to below freezing will likely take place over other locations in southeast Massachusetts... such as Brockton and Taunton around or shortly after 4 PM. In many locations the temperature may drop from the mid 30s to lower 20s within an hours time.

This rapid drop in temperature will cause standing water and slush to freeze on untreated Road and walking surfaces... in time for the evening commute. By that time... the precipitation would have tapered off to very light snow or freezing drizzle.
This is going to be a fun commute home.
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to MsTerra
said by MsTerra:

said by capecoddah:

I skated halfway down the driveway before deciding YakTrax would save me from further embarrassment.

Do those work well on plain ice? I was thinking of getting a pair because there are a lot of ice patches on sidewalks at downspouts in my neighborhood, and walking to work can be an, um, adventure.

They work great for ice and snow. Dangerous on tile floor (don't walk into a store with them on).
I got these Stabilicers Lite from Leon Leonwood Bean and they are better because they have little rubber doo-dads for inside wear.

Or full crampons and an ice axe.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
46°, pouring rain, fog...
I can see paht of the yahd!

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
Nerdvana
reply to capecoddah
said by capecoddah:

said by MsTerra:

said by capecoddah:

They work great for ice and snow. Dangerous on tile floor (don't walk into a store with them on).
I got these Stabilicers Lite from Leon Leonwood Bean and they are better because they have little rubber doo-dads for inside wear.

Or full crampons and an ice axe.

Well, unless L.L. Bean can do instantaneous delivery, I'll have to settle for YakTrax. They're available at stores one or two T stops from here - and judging by Sarah See Profile's post, I might want to sneak out after lunch to buy a pair before hell Cambridge freezes over. Argh.
--
"Strive to change the world in such a way that there's no further need to be a dissident." Lawrence Ferlinghetti

ebgbjo
Premium
USA
reply to Harddrive
Yeah, I definitely see that now. Time to start thinking about a better location in NE for our next move

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
don't you remember me telling you many months ago when you were planning your move that Fall River wasn't the best choice for you?
--

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA
reply to Sarah
I'm glad I get to work from home as the situation permits! Tomorrow I have a vendor meet, so I have to go in (or reschedule).
Then tomorrow night I'm heading north with a caravan into the White Mountains for a ski weekend. Quite possibly the only reason to want this weather. Just as long as the roads are drivable, I'll be OK.
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to ebgbjo
They generally don't get much snow in Fall Rivvah. Too close ta tha woughttah.

I recommend Syracuse or Buffalo, NY.

The amount of snow CT has this winter is pretty much normal for that part of NY state. It snows all winter [upstate NY winter = from November through April 15th]. They get another foot of snow every time the wind picks up off the lakes.

ebgbjo
Premium
USA
reply to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

don't you remember me telling you many months ago when you were planning your move that Fall River wasn't the best choice for you?

Of course I do, but we really didn't have much of a choice. Husbands office is in FR and the other in Dartmouth and well, we looked for rentals everywhere from Newport, Bristol, Tiverton, FR, Assonet, Dartmouth, Somerset, Swansea, and in between and well, FR offered the better rental option (well, one in Tiverton was better, but lady balked and then couldn't decide if she wanted to rent her place out or not)

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to vaxvms
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Today around my home.

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
Nerdvana
Lucky bastard. You should see the mess we're stuck with down here. I got my YakTrax earlier, but I'm still kind of dreading going back out.
--

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
Click for full size
What?

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
New York, NY
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to MsTerra
said by MsTerra:

Lucky bastard. You should see the mess we're stuck with down here. I got my YakTrax earlier, but I'm still kind of dreading going back out.

It's solid ice now, but it's not that bad in most places.

It froze solid so quickly that you can see quite detailed shoe and bootprints in the solid ice on the sidewalk in some places...
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to capecoddah
said by capecoddah:

What?

Looks like you got the "Slushy s--t"

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
and Michael J. Fox was holding the camera.
--

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ebgbjo
Click for full size
As of 7:45pm 2/2/11
The "divot" you see on the left is from the heat of my Monitor heater. The slope you see on the right is from me shoveling a path for the damn cat. (Which I gave up on because she wont go outside anyway.)

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

"Snap!"

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to MsTerra
said by MsTerra:

I have a friend in Medford. She let me know all about this mess you are in.

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
Nerdvana
reply to Sarah
said by Sarah:

said by MsTerra:

It's solid ice now, but it's not that bad in most places.

It froze solid so quickly that you can see quite detailed shoe and bootprints in the solid ice on the sidewalk in some places...

Heh. We must have some serious microclimates going on in our city. When I walked home from the gym ~7:45 there was still a lot of slush and liquid puddles. The thinner slush was frozen, but some of the heavier slush was more like congealed.

I'm actually looking forward to it being all frozen by morning. There were some huge puddles at crosswalks along the way.
--

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

"Night mode flash setting"
Click...Flash...ummmm...flash, photo.

2003 camera

Quentin the Quahog predicts six more weeks of winter

Nantucket's answer to Punxsutawney Phil, Quentin the Quahog squirted to the left Wednesday morning when he was opened by Harbormaster Dave Fronzuto inside the Marine and Coastal Resources Department, a sure sign that we're in for a longer winter this year. He then paid the ultimate sacrifice and was consumed by Fronzuto.

"You know you can't trust a groundhog, but you can trust a quahog," Fronzuto said. "I think it's going to be a long winter."

»www.ack.net/quentin020211.html

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
Nerdvana

1 recommendation

said by capecoddah:

"You know you can't trust a groundhog, but you can trust a quahog," Fronzuto said. "I think it's going to be a long winter."

It already is!
--

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
New York, NY
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to MsTerra
said by MsTerra:

Heh. We must have some serious microclimates going on in our city. When I walked home from the gym ~7:45 there was still a lot of slush and liquid puddles. The thinner slush was frozen, but some of the heavier slush was more like congealed.

Maybe you have a lot of pollution down there bringing down the freezing temps of the slush and water It was low-mid 20s Fahrenheit when I left work.

Of course the larger slush ponds always will take a while to freeze.
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to ebgbjo
Back yahd is all ice... When I went to load up the Bird Proof Squirrel Feeder®, I was afraid I'd slip and impale myself on the sundial.
Not the way I want to go out.