Looks like you got the "Slushy s--t"

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

and Michael J. Fox was holding the camera.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to ebgbjo

Premium Member

to ebgbjo
Click for full size
As of 7:45pm 2/2/11
The "divot" you see on the left is from the heat of my Monitor heater. The slope you see on the right is from me shoveling a path for the damn cat. (Which I gave up on because she wont go outside anyway.)
Dominokat

Dominokat to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

"Snap!"
Dominokat

Dominokat to MsTerra

Premium Member

to MsTerra
said by MsTerra:

Lucky bastard. You should see the mess we're stuck with down here. I got my YakTrax earlier, but I'm still kind of dreading going back out.

I have a friend in Medford. She let me know all about this mess you are in.

MsTerra
Mouthy Broad
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana

MsTerra to Sarah

Premium Member

to Sarah
said by Sarah:

said by MsTerra:

Lucky bastard. You should see the mess we're stuck with down here. I got my YakTrax earlier, but I'm still kind of dreading going back out.

It's solid ice now, but it's not that bad in most places.

It froze solid so quickly that you can see quite detailed shoe and bootprints in the solid ice on the sidewalk in some places...

Heh. We must have some serious microclimates going on in our city. When I walked home from the gym ~7:45 there was still a lot of slush and liquid puddles. The thinner slush was frozen, but some of the heavier slush was more like congealed.

I'm actually looking forward to it being all frozen by morning. There were some huge puddles at crosswalks along the way.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Harddrive

to Harddrive
said by Harddrive:

"Night mode flash setting"
Click...Flash...ummmm...flash, photo.

2003 camera

Quentin the Quahog predicts six more weeks of winter

Nantucket's answer to Punxsutawney Phil, Quentin the Quahog squirted to the left Wednesday morning when he was opened by Harbormaster Dave Fronzuto inside the Marine and Coastal Resources Department, a sure sign that we're in for a longer winter this year. He then paid the ultimate sacrifice and was consumed by Fronzuto.

"You know you can't trust a groundhog, but you can trust a quahog," Fronzuto said. "I think it's going to be a long winter."

»www.ack.net/quentin020211.html

MsTerra
Mouthy Broad
Premium Member
Nerdvana

1 recommendation

MsTerra

Premium Member

said by capecoddah:

"You know you can't trust a groundhog, but you can trust a quahog," Fronzuto said. "I think it's going to be a long winter."

It already is!

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to MsTerra

to MsTerra
said by MsTerra:

Heh. We must have some serious microclimates going on in our city. When I walked home from the gym ~7:45 there was still a lot of slush and liquid puddles. The thinner slush was frozen, but some of the heavier slush was more like congealed.

Maybe you have a lot of pollution down there bringing down the freezing temps of the slush and water It was low-mid 20s Fahrenheit when I left work.

Of course the larger slush ponds always will take a while to freeze.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to ebgbjo

to ebgbjo
Back yahd is all ice... When I went to load up the Bird Proof Squirrel FeederĀ®, I was afraid I'd slip and impale myself on the sundial.
Not the way I want to go out.

Midgard7
join:2010-10-11
MA

Midgard7 to ebgbjo

to ebgbjo
Three of my co-workers called in today due to ice damns causing leaks in their houses. I can see insurance prices going up with all these claims.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 edit

vaxvms to ebgbjo

Premium Member

to ebgbjo

roof collapse on a 3 decker

removing snow from a roof the easy way

There have been about 2 dozen roof failures and collapses in central MA caused by the weight of the snow. Homes, small businesses and a large sporting goods store in a shopping plaza. There's also been people hurt shoveling the snow off their roofs. More snow and ice this weekend can only cause more problems

edit:
80+ roof collapses in MA. Snow & rain on Saturday will surely cause more.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to ebgbjo

Premium Member

to ebgbjo
I heard my roof beams "creaking" this morning.
So I went outside and used a roof rake to get most of it off.

In the process, I completely buried the heat vent. So I had to shovel that out. When I did, I saw the vent holes got clogged with snow. So I took my bare hand and stuck in and dug it out.

Dumb me, my hand was numb from the cold and I didn't even feel my finger get cut. All I saw was blood on the snow, and I mean BAD! So now I have a finger wrapped in bandages and I had to change it three times before it finally stopped bleeding.

Midgard7
MA

Midgard7 to vaxvms

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

edit:
80+ roof collapses in MA. Snow & rain on Saturday will surely cause more.

Where did you hear 80+? On the news last night and this morning on the radio they said about 70. No one has been hurt in the collapses up till this point. They are predicting that removing snow from roofs will result in tons of accidents though. LOL

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

A story in today's, 2/4, Worcester Telegram »telegram.com/article/201 ··· 512/1116 reports 80+
-----
Peter W. Judge has been working for the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency for many years, but he's never seen anything like the multitude of roof collapses this week.

“We've had over 80 in the state so far,” he said.

“We usually get four or five a year,” He said. “This is off the charts.”

The majority of the collapses are commercial buildings with flat roofs, he said.

Midgard7
MA

Midgard7

said by vaxvms:

A story in today's, 2/4, Worcester Telegram »telegram.com/article/201 ··· 512/1116 reports 80+
-----
Peter W. Judge has been working for the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency for many years, but he's never seen anything like the multitude of roof collapses this week.

The majority of the collapses are commercial buildings with flat roofs, he said.

I guess everyone else has different info. It's just odd how they don't all give the same info out with both articles being from today.

"More than 70 buildings, mostly flat-roofed commercial structures, have had their roofs partially or completely collapse under snow and ice accumulation, or have been evacuated because of concerns over structural damage, said Peter Judge, spokesman for the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency."

»www.boston.com/news/loca ··· llapses/

HFB1217
The Wizard Premium ExMod 2000-01

join:2000-06-26
Camelot SwFL

HFB1217 to vaxvms

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

-----

In the past thirty to forty plus years our winters have been relatively winter storm free. One or two major storms over a winter season. We have been in a milder climate cycle and are now reverting into the stormier cycle.

During this relatively milder time the building and population growth has grown tremendously. Good or bad architectural designs favored the less expensive flat roof design. Which has been fine until now and we are now paying the price of being "penny wise and pound foolish".

This maybe a portend of winters to come. So hopefully people will start to notice the shortcomings and clear roof tops and design better to cope with future the realities that we will all face.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms to ebgbjo

Premium Member

to ebgbjo

ouch!

The roof on this 3 decker in Worcester collapsed Saturday night under the weight of the snow.
This is the second Worcester 3 decker whose roof collapsed in the past 3 days. The first building had to be torn down.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat to ebgbjo

Premium Member

to ebgbjo

Re: [MA] Where is the snow!!

My roof hasn't caved in. I shoveled it. (I was surprised. It was up to my knees in most spots. Or about 2 feet.)
However, it is leaking INSIDE with one window, and door, on the north side. Ice jammed hard.
Edit add: My chimney leaks also.

Midgard7
MA

Midgard7 to ebgbjo

to ebgbjo
Lucky for me the neighbor pointed out that we should shovel the roof after the 2 feet of snow we got in December. I ordered a snow roof rake which arrived the day after the next 2 feet of snow. I've been removing snow the day after each storm since and the roof is 80% snow free now. The sun has melted the majority of the snow. The ice dams haven't melted but I doubt they will until the spring. Next year I'll remove it each storm to prevent ice dams in the first place or I might buy the heated stuff and install that.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to ebgbjo

to ebgbjo
LOLz...
Lawn and backyard are a lovely brown. Nyet snyeg!

Yes, I am a jerk.

My pet squirrels are bounding about the yard. Happy happy happy!

Open up Motel Hell Ala Plage? No. Thank you for asking though.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

said by capecoddah:

Lawn and backyard are a lovely brown. Nyet snyeg!

Without any snow you can't get hot babes like this.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
USA

ebgbjo to Midgard7

Premium Member

to Midgard7
I heard about something called snow bombs the other day. People taking rock salt and placing them in cut pantyhose and launching a whole bunch of them up on their roofs to melt the snow.

I never even heard of a snow rake until moving here.

Hope everyone hasn't had damage from the snow. Will catch up on this thread later today.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

and the stupid bastards that do that with rock salt will need to have their metal gutter system replaced in a few years due to corrosion.

Midgard7
MA

Midgard7

said by Harddrive:

and the stupid bastards that do that with rock salt will need to have their metal gutter system replaced in a few years due to corrosion.

You mean the hardware that holds the gutter onto the fascia?

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

does the melted snow and ice with the rock salt get to the hardware or into the gutter?

Midgard7
MA

Midgard7

said by Harddrive:

does the melted snow and ice with the rock salt get to the hardware or into the gutter?

Plastic/vinyl/aluminum/copper gutters don't corrode from salt so the hardware is the only thing that could. I guess someone could have gutters made from something that would corrode.

Harddrive
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

thanks. i don't have knowledge of gutter system material construction.

MsTerra
Mouthy Broad
Premium Member
Nerdvana

MsTerra to ebgbjo

Premium Member

to ebgbjo
I've lived in MA for much of my life, and have never heard so much about ice dams. Never heard about the roof socks until this season. I gather they don't do a whole lot of good, although laying a few vertically across an ice dam can melt a channel in the ice through which the backed-up water can flow into the gutter - assuming that's not frozen, too, but I guess letting the water run off of the roof edge is still better than having it back up under the shingles.

Our downspouts have been frozen inside and coated with ice on the outside. Today's rain wasn't pleasant, but the warmer temps appear to have melted enough ice in there to allow some water to flow through. We'll have to see what happens when everything freezes up again tonight. I was outside a little after 3:00 and there was a cold wind a-blowin'.

We had some large chunks of ice slide off of our roof on Sunday, which broke our bulkhead (it was not-very-sturdy wood and we were planning to replace it anyway) and knocked a railing off on our front deck. The large chunk of ice that looked like it might come down and take our power line with it seems to be melting down instead, knock on wood.

I think this is what they mean by "the joys of home ownership".

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
Polar Park

vaxvms to ebgbjo

Premium Member

to ebgbjo
Roofs of homes, businesses and barns in central MA continue to collapse and buckle from the weight of the snow covering them. The Mendon Upton schools were closed for 2 days this week when snow was removed from the buildings.