spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

that guy

@comcast.net

heater turns off after a few minutes

the system turns on the little fan turns on the heater ignites then after a few minutes turns off. the big blower never kicks on and at no time during the process can i feel hot air from the wall vents. is there some kind of fuse im not checking? the breaker switches are all on but hot air is never pushed through the house not even after the burners ignite

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

Turn the "fan" switch on your thermostat from "auto" to "on". The blower should kick on. Let us know what happens.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

that guy

@comcast.net

still the same problem after a few minutes it kicks off its like the system wants to kick, if i switch it to ac cold air is pushed through the house, but when on heat it wont circulate and i have switched it to on position

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
reply to that guy

Does the blower (air handler, not the daft inducer) kick on when you switch to "on"?

that guy

@comcast.net

yes if you mean the little in system fan but the large fans outside never turn on are those connected to the heater because when switched to a/c the fans outside push air through the house and when on heater they dont turn on at all and im thinking maybe its why no hot air is pushed though the house? but the no circulation is not the only problem after a few minutes the fire cuts off

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to that guy

I'm talking about the main blower that blows air through your house registers. Does it come on when your t-stat is set to "heat" and the fan switch is set to "on"?

Is your furnace located indoors or out? We aren't too worried about the A/C right now unless you are in the Southern Hemisphere. It's probably not a good idea to start your A/C if it's cold in your location.
--

Expand your moderator at work

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to that guy

Re: heater turns off after a few minutes

I'm guessing the posts are being "held" by the system because of the OP's anon status.

So I'll give my thoughts based on pure conjecture.
Your blower motor is out. It could be a bad winding or a bad fan controller.
The furnace ignites, calls for fan (that doesn't work), heats up to the high limit and kicks out (as it should). This is to keep your house from burning down or damaging the heat exchanger in the furnace.

Normal average forced air furnaces may have multi-speed motors. Usually 2 or 3 speeds. Heat is usually low or medium, and A/C is high.

If you switch the thermostat fan switch to "on", the fan usually defaults to high speed (on Honeywell fan controllers).
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to that guy

Would you please post the brand and model number of your furnace.

that guy

@comcast.net
reply to nunya

sir, i sincerely appreciate your advice i just want to ask if u think that the blower motor is out if the fans outside kick on for the ac but not for the heater, please continue to leave any advice u think could help me and yes the posts got held i posted a few that still havnt shown up

that guy

@comcast.net
reply to that guy

the fans do not turn on when the thermostat is in heat mode even with the fan switch in the on position

that guy

@comcast.net
reply to nunya

the outside fans do not kick on at all for the heater, the furnace is in my attic. i live in texas, so your right about it being too cold to use ac i just wanted to use it as a reference to try and understand why the fans outside work for it but not for the heater.

tberg

join:2001-08-23
Greenville, SC
reply to that guy

As Nunya states, the blower fan (big fan) is a multispeed fan. It could be that the slower speed (used for heating) is not working while the faster speed (for A/C) is working.
Or it could be that the sensor that kicks in the fan for heat is defective.
Time to call in the pros.

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3
reply to that guy

All the information you need in order to make an informed decision as to what the next step you should take has been given to you. Based on your responses to the questions asked, there is no more advice that can help you fix this issue on your own without endangering you, your family and your home.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to that guy

Are you sure the fuel is igniting? Often it will sound as though it has, but if your furnace has one of those electric element things that isn't glowing, the system will shut itself back down before the main blower would normally turn on.

We just had to replace that element (whatever its called) yesterday for the furnace in my wife's woman cave. Everything sounded normal, until the (natural) gas would open, at which time it wouldn't ignite. Three seconds later, the system shut itself down.

Obviously I don't know squat about this stuff, but that's what we just went through.
Good luck.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. the flame sensor was oxidized/dirty and the furnace would not kick in. A simple cleaning of the sensor with some "crocus cloth" and everything is fine. I didn't do it myself... I called in the service tech. He was here about half an hour. While he was here I had him go ahead and perform the normal, routine maintenance. I think it cost me about $70 all totaled.

We awoke to a cold house... about 50 degrees. Made the call and he showed up within an hour! I was happy... mother was happy... all was good with the world.
--
Alcohol kills germs! Stay drunk... Stay healthy!

PittsPgh
Premium
join:2003-08-21
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to that guy

Make sure the flu/stack is clean and clear.

That'll cut it off also.

Boiler in my place chiminey was blocked with bricks and debris.
Last winter my friends stack was covered with snow (mobile home) after a long power outage.

cleared both and things worked fine.

that guy

@comcast.net

its a rheem criterion and the house is from the early 90's.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to that guy

Stating the obvious here (and I'm surprised that no one else has yet):

Unless you have a heat pump (unlikely, since it sounds like you have a gas furnace instead), then the outside fans have nothing whatsoever to do with your heat. They only come on when you turn on the A/C, so it sounds like the outside fans are working correctly (on for A/C, off for heat). If you in fact do have a heat pump, then just ignore this message.

*** Be aware that there is always a small danger here of fire, a gas leak, or carbon-monoxide poisoning, especially if the furnace has not been maintained properly. You should always have a working carbon-monoxide detector in place, and have a fire extinguisher handy if you are messing around with the furnace. You should also know how to quickly turn off your gas, if necessary. ***

The trouble appears to be with your inside fan (the big blower). As already suggested, change your thermostat fan setting from "Auto" to "On"; the inside fan should come on and stay on (nothing will happen outside). Leaving the fan in "On" mode, set the thermostat to "Heat" and turn it up a bit; after a short while you should feel heat coming from the vents. This heat should keep coming out until the room temp increases to whatever you set the thermostat to, then it will switch to normal temp air (remember that the fan will stay on, though).

If you never feel any heat, or if it only lasts for a short time (not long enough to heat up the room), then probably one of the furnace safety mechanisms has kicked in to protect you. If this is the case then the furnace may just need clearing, need a new filter or whatever, or it might very well need professional maintenance. If you do feel heat, and the room warms up like it's supposed to, then you may just have a simple fan control problem of some sort. In either case, you need to call out a professional, as it appears you are not currently equipped to resolve this problem yourself.

As an FYI, I had some problems with erratic furnace behavior a couple of years ago. It would shut down prematurely, not come on when it was supposed to, etc. When I took a look at it I noticed some rust that had fallen down on top of one of the burners in front. Once I cleaned this up (this took all of 30 seconds, maybe), the unit ran fine again. I can only surmise that the rust was diverting enough of the flame that the over-temp sensor was kicking in and shutting things down. I need to be more diligent from now on in making sure that the unit stays clean.