spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cjm187

join:2009-11-22

Got my bandwidth warning from comcast, a few questions

I was warned for excessive use, and it was way over what I expected(I take full responsibility). Unfortunately, because I did not notice a call(they did call and leave a msg) they shut off my internet. On the phone the gentleman was very rude, and yelled at me and said I was 1 tetrabyte...yes he said tetrabyte over the limit. I was told that if it went over again in the next 6 months my internet would be shut off, he then turned it back on. This was 3 days into the month that this happened and 153gb had already been applied to the current month, so I checked my options. Big surprise there are none other than comcast, so I feel backed against the wall and have no idea what to do. Im currently looking at my meter and I have 50gb left for the month, which is definitely doable, I just would like to know if I have any other options.

I heard that business class was an option as they have no bandwidth limit. Now would it be possible to cancel my residential plan internet and get business class, or do you need proof of a legitimate business?

Before I get yelled at, I just want to know my options at this point. I take full responsibility for going over the limit, I've been with Comcast for the past 10 years I believe and plan on sticking with them.

Any help would be appreciated, yes I know im no victim...it still sucks though.

ziggo01

join:2009-08-23

You could go to their business class, it has 'unlimited' bandwidth.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

They usually don't let customers that have a bandwidth warning switch to business class.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to cjm187

At least you have a meter. I haven't had one since it was implemented. And to this date they have not been able to fix it.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to cjm187

Nothing is needed other than to pay for the business class.

It has nothing to do with the residential side, just visit »business.comcast.com/ - check for availability, and then call. No bundling with residential video/voice is possible, and there is a contract with a hefty ETF *or* an install fee, so be sure you understand what you're doing.

And - wow - 1TB is impressive. What speed tier are you on now?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to cjm187

Stop downloading junk for the rest of the month.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to cjm187

50 gigs a day so far and one terabyte over the limit? Good lord....

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
reply to cjm187

I am just curious and am sure this question has been asked before, but what can you possibly be doing legally to use that much bandwidth?
I had two Grand Kids who are both collage students with their laptops at my house for over a month. With 3 computers going almost full time and we hit 101 gig that month.
I have seen other threads on this forum bragging about how they go over 250gig all the time and never get the call.
Sorry, but I just don't understand.

cjm187

reply to cjm187

Ok, I appreciate all the replies. I'll try to answer everything

Is there any confirmation that I would not be allowed to switch to business class after the warning? I read they wont allow it if your service was terminated, but that has not happened. I really would like confirmation on this, this seems to be my only option at this time, while living comfortably on the internet.

I hate to say it but it was actually 1.9 TB, im on EXTREME 50. A lot of it was Steam(pc gaming) theres a few iphone users constantly streaming radio. Netflix streaming and I really dont know how it got that high to be honest. I have no problem saying I have downloaded from not the most legal sources, but as far as im concerned that wasn't the case in November. Im still trying to figure out what exactly shot it up that high. Im actually more alarmed my bandwidth was 153gb as of Dec 3rd when I recieved the call.

I really want to try out the business class, I just am nervous about them not allowing it. I'm going to be upfront with them to make sure it is not a problem.

For everyone saying why dont you stop downloading: I told everyone in my house the issue, but I honestly cant afford to lose internet if this happens again through 6 months...comcast is my only option over 1mbps in my areas as Fios is not yet implemented.

Im not looking to get yelled at as to why I went over etc etc, just want to know what to do at this point.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

Is it possible you have some rouge app or malware eating up all your bandwidth?
--
standard disclaimers apply.
( »Re: [poll] what do you think of/what should happen with Assange? )

cjm187

yes, my wife's laptop was infested with viruses last month and I had to format it. All of october and november I was experiencing packet loss and extremely low speed tests I even made a thread about it around that time. It doesn't really matter what caused it though, they have zero tolerance after the first warning.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to cjm187

If you decide to sign up for business class, personally, I wouldn't mention the residential warning.

As for transferring 1.9TB in a month, I really think you have to have some idea of how that happened or someone in your house does. NetFlix, radio streaming and Steam don't come anywhere close to accounting for that much of usage.

cjm187

Thats me personally, Im the account holder. There are also 6 people living in my house who each have a personal computer. I'm sorry I did not make that clear. If you would like I will post the past 3 months, I have ZERO idea how it got to 1.9. My usage has not changed and I would have no problem admitting that, im not trying to get out of this I said I was taking full responsibility.

I appreciate the suggestion though, but how can I make certain they wont give me crap lets say a month from now? I'm just looking to see what my options are.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to cjm187

Warning: not helping here.

Nobody is "backed against the wall" when using that much bandwidth. Even with three desktops, three laptops, two smart phones, two VPN connections for full-time and part-time telecommuting, a large amount of (legal) game downloads from Steam and other digital distributors, streaming movies and TV from Fancast, etc. we rarely exceed 50 GB. Think of how much the average user is paying to subsidized extremely excessive users. As a responsible Comcast customer, I'd hope people would get cut off much sooner than you did.

cjm187

said by ctggzg:

Warning: not helping here.

Nobody is "backed against the wall" when using that much bandwidth. Even with three desktops, three laptops, two smart phones, two VPN connections for full-time and part-time telecommuting, a large amount of (legal) game downloads from Steam and other digital distributors, streaming movies and TV from Fancast, etc. we rarely exceed 50 GB. Think of how much the average user is paying to subsidized extremely excessive users. As a responsible Comcast customer, I'd hope people would get cut off much sooner than you did.

The reason why they did not cut me off, is because I never exceeded the bandwidth limit before that. I understand you like to see excessive users be cut off, but a warning is a warning. I'm sorry but when I'm threatened and Comcast is my only option, to me thats feeling backed against the wall.

I understand your post was to "not help" but I need to defend myself here.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

What connection speeds do you have? Seems to me that you would have to keep it wide open 24/7 to hit 1.9TBs.
--
standard disclaimers apply.
( »Re: [poll] what do you think of/what should happen with Assange? )

cjm187

Extreme 50, Im not making excuses I said in my original post I take responsibility.

I really need to know if I would be able to transition to business class(while still keeping phone/tv) without issue. It seems with the amount of people in my house business class should have been done long ago.

I just don't want to be personally attacked here, I have done nothing differently than I have done in the past 2 years, but I am the account holder and whatever goes on under my roof I need to answer for. The interesting thing was that when I told my family that what would happen if they kept doing whatever it was that they were doing we would be shut off and have no internet for a year. Needless to say i havent seen the meter go more than 2gb in one day, ive been watching it like a hawk.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Pick up the phone and call in and inquire about switching. No one here can know what restrictions have been placed on your account, your history, etc.

If you can switch, do it as soon as you can. Until then, disconnect the users in your house that can't control their habbits.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to cjm187

With extreme 50, it's more understandable how you can hit 2TB in a month. That's only 5 days at 100%... or about 16% full out every day.

You should have no problem switching to business class, it's a completely separate "side" of comcast. Just call and see if your address is eligible. Your business name would be your last name.

Just be aware that the 50/10 business class service is a hefty $190/mo - that is the complete price, at least, including modem and there are no other fees.
--

serpterion

join:2008-06-25
Hagerstown, MD

1 recommendation

reply to cjm187

cjm187,

That's a hike! You shouldn't be looking into getting business class. Unless you're downloading HD movies all day long --you need to clean all PC's with some kind of virus scan and place some Internet security on them!! I know Comcast provides Norton 360 for all its Internet users for free! It would be foolish not to have it installed on all your computers since your wife's laptop got hijacked. Also, you might want to check your WiFi router (if you have one) change the encryption to WPA2 with a passphrase AES encryption to ensure someone isn't leaching off your network without you knowing.

It's not feesible to pay 100-200 dollars more for a higher cap when the true issue lies within some hijacked computer you have. Don't let those hackers win!

ophelus

join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO
reply to cjm187

And do yourself a favor "cjm187" and don't care what people think..

I mean really.. what are we 12?

Comcast called me up and "yelled" at me..

That's a fear mentality.. you have options besides for comcast.. everyone does.. EVDO is deployed everywhere.. (yes it's a mbit)

Research your options and do what's best for you.. you could also get yourself a sophisticated router.. like say "pfsense" runs on a computer and you can track better where the bandwidth/packets are going.. but I wouldn't bow in fear to comcast or anybody.. and that includes what anyone thinks here

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

50 gigs a day so far and one terabyte over the limit? Good lord....

Couple computers doing online backup to Crashplan, Mozy, etc.... Especially if you're like me and backup my pictures and videos to the cloud for safe keeping in the event out house burns down. I'm up to around 1TB on Crashplan for just 1 of our 3 computers.

Then again our ISP has no limits.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

1 edit
reply to cjm187

said by cjm187:

I hate to say it but it was actually 1.9 TB, im on EXTREME 50.

The part of your post that caught my eye was the 1.9 TB usage, this inspired the following, hope it helps.

1) Don't tell Comcast about your residential issues. Comcast business is managed as a different division from Comcast residential to the best of my understanding. They leave each other mostly alone.

2) While Comcast business has no hard cap, they seem to have a soft cap. I've read speculation that it is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 TB per month. After that the next step up (for me) is a business tier that costs $500 per month.

3) In my home are 5 people, a slew of internet connected devices, and lots of Netflix viewing. Our total usage has crept up to around 200 GB per month. That is nearly 10% of your usage. We play a lot of MMO games, have 5 VOIP phones active, and so a lot of legal streaming.

4) Either check with Comcast regularly to see what your usage is, there should be an online monitor, or if you move to business ... invest in a router that will give you an approximate idea of your usage. If you are regularly using 2 or more TB per month, even Comcast may have issues with that level use on the lower tier business plans.

Good luck!
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

bigchris
Do Not Shoot The Messenger
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-29
Leesburg, VA
reply to cjm187

If you've cleared out the virus from your wifes computer then assuming you have no others (worth checking) with normal internet use you shouldn't go over the 50gb you have left.

I'd track it daily and manage it until the end of the month even if you have to turn off the modem for a couple of days.

Firstly though, check all your computers. If one was "infested" it could well be elsewhere too.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to cjm187

said by cjm187:

I appreciate the suggestion though, but how can I make certain they wont give me crap lets say a month from now? I'm just looking to see what my options are.

I'm probably just being dense, are you concerned with the future on the residential or business account? Business (HSI) accounts don't have a stated limit or threshold, but there have been reports of calls for customers with high usage asking them to upgrade to a different level of service.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to cjm187

I feel for you TC, get a HTC EVO from Sprint and tether that, yeah your cell phone has unlimited data but Comcast doesn't... what a joke.

(HTC EVO 4g has unlimited 3g)

I had used 500 gigs per month on Comcast, nothing has happened yet.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

I'm pretty sure Sprint would give you a nastygram for running 2TB thru the EVO, even if you could find a way to do it.
--

Thatgeekinit

join:2002-05-01
Washington, DC
reply to cjm187

Wow I am a pretty heavy user and I hover around the cap but 1.9TB is quite a lot (avg of 5.78 mbps 24/7 for a month). Just to give you an idea that is basically watching a full DVD (DVD is basically 5.5mbps streaming) quality movie over the internet 24/7 while browsing the web.

I think 250GB is pretty low and should probably be doubled now that online video and on has become so popular as well as online backup and other high bandwidth services and of course Comcast does sell the service as "unlimited" but then hides a cap in the fine print and only recently began telling customers what the cap was. They still hide the usage graph behind several layers of craptacular account setting pages and make it impossible to access unless you login with the comcast assigned username.

The whole "what legal thing are you doing..." is getting to the point of irrelevance with so many legal video sources out there, the argument that a household of heavy users could not consume 250GB of legit content in a month is getting pretty thin. My roommate watches Netflix HD streams pretty much whenever he is home.
--
Yes, actually I am a network engineer. Why don't you have a cup of coffee and make sure my HBO is working and I'll worry about getting my cable modem and my router connected.

Drunk
Premium
join:2010-11-16
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to cjm187

Stupid question, but just to make sure, is your wireless router secure? Make sure you don't have any leechers on it. From what I understand wireless security is easy to break anyways, so check your client list and see if you know everybody that is on your network.

rwong48

join:2002-11-10
San Jose, CA
reply to cjm187

With that many users/usage, you pretty much have to get business.

I actually ordered mine as a fresh/new business user, and cancelled the residential side a few days later. They are separate modems on the same line.