All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Goliath13
join:2009-07-10

Goliath13

Is Voipo.com compatible with a Brinks alarms system

So I've decided to move my home number to a Voip system. The alarm system was hooked up to the phone line though and was wondering if others have gotten voipo.com to work with Brinks (Broadview) security? Is it a matter of just putting on an adapter and hooking it up to my router or another way?

Thx
tritch
join:2007-04-30
Porter, TX

tritch

Getting it to work is iffy at best. Voipo does not guarantee it as noted in their support docs:

»voipo.com/help/article/i ··· -83.html

I'm not sure about other ATA's, but if you have the PAP2T it supports a modem toggle mode by dialing the *99 prefix.

Example: *99,18005551111

Hopefully, your alarm system allows the prefix and the pause character to be applied before dialing the call. I've had good success with my HD-DVR using this prefix. Without it, it never succeeded at all.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

You may want to look at additional alarm system monitoring choices.

Some of the older burglar alarm companies have their heads up their asses.

This has enabled more responsive companies to jump into the market, offering solutions that work with Voip and/or direct IP hookup and/or wireless.

See:

»nextalarm.com/index.jsp
(In business for 10 years already)
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to Goliath13

to Goliath13
Your alarm system will likely work "ok" with VOIPo (or other VoIP provider), in the narrow sense of properly getting alarm signals to the central station. However, unless your system has cellular backup, using VoIP may render your system much less secure.

First, you should connect your adapter to the line side of your RJ31X jack -- otherwise, the alarm won't work if the phone is in use, and an intruder could defeat it by simply picking up a phone.

Next, consider UPS protection for modem, router and ATA. Power often fails in a fire. Also, if your meter or main switch is mounted outside your home, an intruder could easily turn off power before entering.

Your alarm panel is in an obscure and possibly physically secure location. Be careful that your network gear can't be easily found and disabled before the alarm signal gets sent.

The combined reliability of your ISP, VoIP provider and equipment is probably much worse than your POTS line.

See »connectedplanetonline.co ··· _030507/ ; also search for VoIP and RJ31X -- you'll find info on making a proper hookup.

Many folks consider their alarm system to be a joke. It's only there to get a discount on homeowners insurance, and they figure that the burglar will have driven off with the loot before dispatch arrives, anyway. If you depend on yours for real security, I strongly advise that you have a professional do (or at least review) your installation.
Goliath13

Goliath13

In that case should I do just a cellular monitoring type of setup?
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

Depending on your desired security level and budget, you might consider cellular backup, keeping a basic POTS line, or both. If you do cellular without POTS, you should still properly connect your VOIPo ATA, to provide some protection in case the cellular doesn't work.

Another advantage of keeping a POTS line is reliable access to 911. In many areas, "basic", "low use", or "lifeline" service is quite inexpensive. My at&t line in Reno runs $12.50/mo., including all fees and taxes.
Goliath13

Goliath13

That is not the case in SoCal.
Most ip phones can set up a calling plan to setup 911 to call your local police department although they won't have your location.
I'm looking at a cellular only alarm system right now and trying to find one that would work for me.